• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Matt Nelson lying to the community when he said that employees were not involved in reholdering?
6 6

49 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 3:59 PM, newshane said:

Just seems like they went down the toilet since they sold out to Blackstone...the beginning of the end was the mass hiring spree a few years back. 

I was just joking about the long TATs during the pandemic. I waited like 18 months for comics to be graded. 

As for this situation,  I do think it's 2 isolated incidents.  Where there is money to be made,  criminals and unethical people will look for cracks to exploit. 

I think the pandemic exasperated that.  People saw easy money with sky rocketing value.  

Was cgc unprepared? Yes! But i think it's very hard to stay one step ahead of all the scammers out there! 

Profits over quality is a different debate.  But we've seen so many quality issues and books going missing. They should be accountable for that. (This comes from someone who had a book damaged and got alot of finger pointing and denials as a response). 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:18 PM, newshane said:

I will tell you that I am now absolutely TERRIFIED to submit anything to the CGC...

especially my high-value reholders. I guess those books will be staying in the older slabs for now. 

I have an unlimited value submission there right now and I'm extremely worried.  If I would have seen this news before I sent it, I probably wouldn't have.  All I can think about is my book sitting on a shelf waiting to be stolen.

From a legal perspective, unfortunately, No. He was specifically being interviewed about swapgate. In regards to that scandal, they do not believe it is an inside job. So the stament is true. 

I am sure he knew about the second scandal, and legal likely said keep your mouth shut. It is a different matter, and it is not public. Legally, you never want to open your company up to additional liability, and disclosing this new case could have done that. So this was Selective omission, because it technically is a separate matter with no bearing on the first one.

It looks awful from a PR standpoint. They either did not consider that or the believed the legal ramifications from early disclosure of this lawsuit were potentially more damaging to CGC.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:34 PM, BeardedBubba said:

I have an unlimited value submission there right now and I'm extremely worried.  If I would have seen this news before I sent it, I probably wouldn't have.  All I can think about is my book sitting on a shelf waiting to be stolen.

The person who stole the books doesn't work there any more. 

On 2/2/2024 at 2:18 PM, newshane said:

I will tell you that I am now absolutely TERRIFIED to submit anything to the CGC...

especially my high-value reholders. I guess those books will be staying in the older slabs for now. 

I agree. That ship has sailed for me… and then some.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, comix4fun said:

Are we ABSOLUTELY SURE about that? :ohnoez:

On 2/2/2024 at 4:52 PM, comix4fun said:

...which means nothing. Someone else could steal a book. They obviously don't know their employees very well.

How much do graders make an hour? It's the same as a Walmart/McDonald's employee, yes?

On 2/2/2024 at 4:39 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

...which means nothing. Someone else could steal a book. They obviously don't know their employees very well.

How much do graders make an hour? It's the same as a Walmart/McDonald's employee, yes?

Yes, letting a wolf in the hen house means there's a gap in the fence. Once you spot one there could always be more. 

Keeping ones eyes open is the only way to keep your pocket from getting picked. Scumbags everywhere. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:52 PM, comix4fun said:

Yeah that doesn’t give me any comfort.  This was a bigger problem than one or two employees.  It’s a lack of oversight and security.  And we have no way of knowing what (if anything) has been done about it.  They may have totally overhauled their internal procedures.  But we have n way of knowing.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:42 PM, BeardedBubba said:

Yeah that doesn’t give me any comfort.  This was a bigger problem than one or two employees.  It’s a lack of oversight and security.  And we have no way of knowing what (if anything) has been done about it.  They may have totally overhauled their internal procedures.  But we have n way of knowing.

At this point, I'd assume the books in custody are the safest they've been in a a while. That's how it is after a break in, scam, theft, etc. in every business. I'd call and speak to someone about your book and your concerns directly. It can't hurt. And if you're not satisfied with the answer you could ask for your book(s) back. 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:52 PM, comix4fun said:

well at least two people understood the sarcasm. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Are we ABSOLUTELY SURE about that? :ohnoez:

Well, the one named in the suit doesn't. If that helps. Or doesn't help. 

On 2/2/2024 at 5:50 PM, misterrmystery said:

This is a PR nightmare for CGC. Reputation is everything in their business. They better reassure their customers fast that safeguards have been put in place, otherwise the bleeding will intensify. Personally, I'm sitting tight before submitting any more books to CGC. 

You mean something along the lines of pursuing legal action? 

On 2/2/2024 at 7:23 PM, buttock said:

You mean something along the lines of pursuing legal action? 

if it were criminal legal action then yes. CGC is perusing civil action against a defendant that will prove to be judgement proof, so there will be no consequence for anyone. If this case actually appears before a judge it will likely be a default judgement; any financial verdict will be unenforceable, but it will be a nice looking piece of paper.

The ugly truth of a very sensationalized civil legal system is that it is very rare to actually receive any compensation as the plaintiff.

Matt Nelson lied his :censored: off and should be :censored:ing fired or resign!  I don’t give one single :censored: about this case or that case or what he thought he was talking about, or what the definition of “is” “is.”  There were :censored:ing employees inside CGC pulling :censored:ing scams..  stealing OUR books, grading them, manipulating labels, and selling them.  He was asked point blank and lied!!!

”Worlds most trusted” my :censored:!

He lied!!!!!