• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

376 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:17 PM, Iconic1s said:
On 5/9/2024 at 8:59 PM, I like pie said:

Pretty obvious answer.

Anything could have happened to it since it left CGC's hands. I'd be more concerned if they didn't regrade it, especially with all the book swapping going on.

By obvious answer you mean CGC gets paid. This is no different than any other reholder…

… if it appears tampered or damaged then absolutely regrade, otherwise authenticate the signature and not force the owner to risk regrade.

I bet you someone like Heritage won’t be risking regrading for a book like this.

In all fairness in any reholder situation they were supposed to examine for damage, which they were not in the reholder scandal.

So I agree with @Iconic1s and I kind of lean toward agreeing with cgc from a business standpoint, as it does seem normal for them to do. I don't think I'll ever get a perfect rationale for it, but I don't mean a "cgc as a business would do", I mean any business would do that happens to be CGC this go around.

Like it flowing downhill from management that isn't expressed in a clear thought and that is is why it comes off as a money making decision, which may be true too, but again I don't think they're defining anything at the moment but trying to organize to roll it out.

Reholder authentication sounds like someone under the top brass might suggest at some point, but now would not be the time to correct the boss lol

So what I mean is rationally I agree with iconic but am sympathetic to those that are doing the footwork to roll it out.

This rollout was a major decision and their dotting i and crossing t

Screenshot_20240510-083929.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In all fairness in any reholder situation they were supposed to examine for damage, which they were not in the reholder scandal.

So I agree with @Iconic1s and I kind of lean toward agreeing with cgc from a business standpoint, as it does seem normal for them to do. I don't think I'll ever get a perfect rationale for it, but I don't mean a "cgc as a business would do", I mean any business would do that happens to be CGC this go around.

Like it flowing downhill from management that isn't expressed in a clear thought and that is is why it comes off as a money making decision, which may be true too, but again I don't think they're defining anything at the moment but trying to organize to roll it out.

Reholder authentication sounds like someone under the top brass might suggest at some point, but now would not be the time to correct the boss lol

So what I mean is rationally I agree with iconic but am sympathetic to those that are doing the footwork to roll it out.

This rollout was a major decision and their dotting i and crossing t

All I’m saying is that it would be very dumb of anyone to risk a regrade on a book like this one (hidden below) where it’s pretty universally accepted that this signature is authentic, just to get the spiffy new label…

I’d much prefer to keep the grade and the Qualified label, than to have it come back authenticated in 9.6-9.2 with the new yellow label.

By forcing a regrade when there is no damage, CGC/JSA is basically saying there is a decent chance they will jack your book up while authenticating the sig, or that they misgraded it the first time around.

I predict they will reconsider this.

Spoiler

IMG_6060.jpeg.208e38d1eb9446db196bb0c4966db7fc.jpeg
IMG_6061.jpeg.0f0d8c0826ebb1e33faafa4806253ed7.jpeg

Edited by Iconic1s

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:42 PM, Iconic1s said:

I really do not want to not bite the hand that feeds, because I'm more inclined to enjoy cgc jumping in, rather than down the move.

Yes it took 20 years to gain momentum , confidence, market availability etc.

I'm sure that within another 20 years there is room for improvement lol

I'm not discouraging the conversation, just the reality that is in my brain. Even if they reholder authentication in five years, then they get the submissions from reholders and an announcement etc. Nothing is perfect in life, although we encourage ideas for improvement, always.

The guy who suggested this in the office one day with the chart graph is wanting to walk back in for a promotion a year from now!

Doesn't mean they don't care, just what it took for them to even take up the idea without getting to ideological. 

Screenshot_20240510-083929.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/9/2024 at 9:42 PM, Iconic1s said:

I predict they will reconsider this.

Indeed. It will take time to do so, considering they are running a business and cost benefit of acquisition.

Where is my jetpack! :preach: lol

On 5/10/2024 at 7:59 AM, MachoGrande said:

It could be that proper authentication requires complete removal of the comic

JSA employs the Video Spectral Comparator (VSC) to reinforce the expert's findings. This state-of-the-art authentication tool is a powerful workstation that uses sophisticated color and infrared imaging, magnification, coaxial lighting, side lighting, and on-screen, side-by-side or overlaid autograph comparisons. In doing so, the VSC can detect erasures, reveal masked and obliterated signatures, differences in ink types, and several other signs common in autograph forgeries which cannot be detected by the naked eye.

I wish Kirby was around to draw the Video Spectral Comparator

That actually sounds pretty cool!  Thanks!

I’m still bummed to have to submit the book for regrade also :cry:

JSA employs the Video Spectral Comparator (VSC) to reinforce the expert's findings. This state-of-the-art authentication tool is a powerful workstation that uses sophisticated color and infrared imaging, magnification, coaxial lighting, side lighting, and on-screen, side-by-side or overlaid autograph comparisons. In doing so, the VSC can detect erasures, reveal masked and obliterated signatures, differences in ink types, and several other signs common in autograph forgeries which cannot be detected by the naked eye.

So something similar to that tablet with the magnification tools used on Pawn Stars. :shiftyeyes: 

Well that makes more.sense than all that supposing I did :roflmao:

On 5/10/2024 at 8:59 AM, MachoGrande said:

Is that thing turbo-charged?

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 11:47 AM, dbcn said:

Is JSA going to be able to witness books at cons @MattM CS? per the above, that would get a SS label, yes?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12776/

Can I submit to JSA at CGC’s booth at shows?

CGC is now accepting autographed comics at its show booths for combined CGC and JSA certification. Submissions for JSA-only services should still be made at JSA’s booth. Soon, CGC and JSA will have a more fully integrated show presence.

Can I submit to CGC at JSA’s booth at shows?

Not yet. Plans for a combined show presence are in the works and will be announced in the coming months.

Edited by SpineTic

• Administrator
On 5/10/2024 at 12:23 PM, SpineTic said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12776/

Can I submit to JSA at CGC’s booth at shows?

CGC is now accepting autographed comics at its show booths for combined CGC and JSA certification. Submissions for JSA-only services should still be made at JSA’s booth. Soon, CGC and JSA will have a more fully integrated show presence.

Can I submit to CGC at JSA’s booth at shows?

Not yet. Plans for a combined show presence are in the works and will be announced in the coming months.

It is my understanding that you can submit a combined CGC and JSA certification at a CGC booth.  However, it you only want a JSA authentication, you will have to go to a JSA booth.  Currently we do not offer a JSA certification only.  That is why you have to go to a JSA booth for that. 

Can I submit my comic for JSA autograph authentication only?

Autographed comics must be submitted for combined CGC and JSA certification services. The autograph on the comic will be authenticated by JSA and then seamlessly transferred to CGC for grading and encapsulation.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:06 PM, Tony S said:

The books were dropped off at Kirby's house for his signature and picked up later. The belief is that most were signed by Kirby's wife as Kirby's health was poor.  I'm not aware of any passing authentication by BAS - but maybe some have. 

In general, almost all Kirby signatures from the 1990s are likely not him: DF comics, Captain America print, various hard cover books, the pin set, etc. Regrettably, the proxy signature also has appeared on signed art pages. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:35 AM, Matt1982 said:

Keep those photos safe because you won't be able to enjoy them anymore once the books are slabbed. That's the only downside of the old-time first page sig.

I print my interior signed pages out on newsprint before slabbing and keep it in the bag. It's pretty much identical to the real thing, and looks so much better than a photo.

On 5/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, CHWL said:

Thinking of sending this in but awaiting clarification on whether such remark would be deemed to "negatively impact the grade of the comic"...

Screenshot_20240506_202009_eBay.jpg

Dumb question...I can see JSA authenticating signatures, but what the heck do they do with sketches? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 1:51 PM, Ozonetv said:

Dumb question...I can see JSA authenticating signatures, but what the heck do they do with sketches? 

They don't "authenticate sketches", and that's all we've been able to determine.

Something about the sketch disrupting the grade of the book now affects the label determination, and regardless of the other things that are authenticated yay or nay, but which also affect the label. :) 

Somehow the sketches that aren't up for authentication can still affect label designation depending on if the sketch affects the book: (grade, condition, or other) criteria but those effects aren't laid out yet (thumbsu

:cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Reholdering requires the complete removal of the comic. New inner holder, new outer holder, new label printed. 

• Administrator
On 5/10/2024 at 11:47 AM, dbcn said:

Is JSA going to be able to witness books at cons @MattM CS? per the above, that would get a SS label, yes?

Great question! Yes. Through JSAs WPP service, JSA will witness the signature take place. Those signatures if submitted will receive a full Yellow label Sig Series instead of the CGCxJSA label. That said, if CGC is not at a show but JSA is and you have a book go through this WPP service, the full CGCxJSA authentication service pricing will still apply. Thanks for checking!