• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
13 13

437 posts in this topic

Sent this one in as a tester. I’ll post the results when it comes back. The sigs are clearly genuine, and I’m curious to see how they handle the sketch and numbering.

IMG_1787.jpeg

Thinking of sending your unwitnessed signed/sketched books in for the CGC x JSA label? You might want to read this - just received this message from CGC:

"At this time, the CGC grading department has determined that if a sketch affects the grade, then it will prompt a Green Label in order to avoid a large downgrade. With how large these J. Scott Campbell sketches are on your books that you showed us; this would be the case. That being said, the signature will still be JSA authenticated and if deemed authentic, will reflect that signature text on the label (although the label will not be the black color CGC JSA label, it will still be the green qualified label. We cannot guarantee the grade will remain 9.8 either if you submit them. I hope this information suffices."

Photo of book shared with CGC is this remarked Spider-Gwen I had considered submitting for the new label.

20240531_202557.jpg

On 6/5/2024 at 5:29 PM, CHWL said:

Thinking of sending your unwitnessed signed/sketched books in for the CGC x JSA label? You might want to read this - just received this message from CGC:

"At this time, the CGC grading department has determined that if a sketch affects the grade, then it will prompt a Green Label in order to avoid a large downgrade. With how large these J. Scott Campbell sketches are on your books that you showed us; this would be the case. That being said, the signature will still be JSA authenticated and if deemed authentic, will reflect that signature text on the label (although the label will not be the black color CGC JSA label, it will still be the green qualified label. We cannot guarantee the grade will remain 9.8 either if you submit them. I hope this information suffices."

Photo of book shared with CGC is this remarked Spider-Gwen I had considered submitting for the new label.

20240531_202557.jpg

I was looking through a bunch of raw books I have today, all with sketches and/or remarks, and wondering if they might be candidates for trying out this authentication thing. Guess that'll be a no if the sketches are considered a defect.

I have never understood CGC's absolute stubbornness of and absolute hatred of not grading a sketch and just authenticating it with letters ART in the box vice a numeric grade. It would cutout turn around time and skip an entire step of the process saving time/money for both the company and customer. It is literally the easiest win/win of lowest hanging fruit available.

Forcing a green label for a sketch on one hand but offering a yellow on the other will confuse the customer base and make CGC just look dumb with the needless double standard.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:32 AM, DougC said:

This just popped up today: (4436357001)

image.thumb.png.2defa0255db44f70915aeb525d018b94.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea448bdab94aa4a89b2ecb4266def84.jpeg

@MattM CS Is this the correct labeling and designation?

I think that's consistent with the message I shared above as received from CGC. Shame... really wish these could get the new label!

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 8:32 PM, DougC said:

This just popped up today: (4436357001)

image.thumb.png.2defa0255db44f70915aeb525d018b94.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea448bdab94aa4a89b2ecb4266def84.jpeg

@MattM CS Is this the correct labeling and designation?

This makes sense to me. Even though it looks like a legit Lee sketch, his artwork is widely emulated and nearly impossible to authenticate. Definitely deserves a green label.

Would have liked the black bar across the top with the CGC X JSA branding, however. If they would at least do that, I'd have some pretty big books I'd like to send in...

@MattM CS 

nudge_nudge.jpg.8bf4d16fad5f756bfa07111b58c847ed.jpg

Edited by trademarkcomics

I wonder if ALL sketched books will get the green, or whether some can get the yellow label? I sent in an authentix sketch cover that literally has a box in the center for a sketch. And it was a well-known promotion with Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti when they took over Marvel Knights that they did 300 sketches on books - penciled by Joe and inked by Jimmy.

And what about blank covers that are intended obviously to be sketched? Will those get yellow/black or green?

On 6/10/2024 at 7:53 AM, Matt1982 said:

I wonder if ALL sketched books will get the green, or whether some can get the yellow label? I sent in an authentix sketch cover that literally has a box in the center for a sketch. And it was a well-known promotion with Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti when they took over Marvel Knights that they did 300 sketches on books - penciled by Joe and inked by Jimmy.

And what about blank covers that are intended obviously to be sketched? Will those get yellow/black or green?

Yes ALL sketches will get green if un-witnessed. Does not matter if it was a promotion or has COA, etc. Un-witnessed equals green label. Period. 

On 6/10/2024 at 11:24 PM, DougC said:

Good sir are you trying to impugn CGC's reputation by showing cases of inconsistency..... I foresee many 9.6s without grader notes in your future.:devil:

Yea? They're way ahead of you. Try 9.2s :cry:

On 6/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, devilsrain said:

ALL sketches?

CGC4435418-003_OBV@500x787.jpg

FB_IMG_1715114683615.jpg.a5908b064434e920612fc718aee72e4e.jpg

So, if the grader thinks the sketch is authentic, they leave it in the JSA label, but if they suspect it's not, or can't tell, they go with green? Kind of like "name written on cover in marker" green label and "John Romita written on cover in marker" blue?

asm50blue.thumb.png.964269b733ac82f29961ce9dce754c6b.png

pun1green.thumb.jpg.597f965f20929f22ba0bd41a6312a7da.jpg

On 6/11/2024 at 9:12 AM, trademarkcomics said:

So, if the grader thinks the sketch is authentic, they leave it in the JSA label, but if they suspect it's not, or can't tell, they go with green? Kind of like "name written on cover in marker" green label and "John Romita written on cover in marker" blue?

Their wording is more like "if the sketch affects the grade of the book, rather than make a lower grade for the book due to the sketch discrepancy it gets a green label, but is still authenticated in the wording (instead of name or sketch on cover) and just doesn't get the yellow black but is still authentic in a green label!"

I'm short a JSA green label can still say authentic on the label (thumbsu

It just gets a green label if the sketch affects the grade of the book, rather than just saying they don't authenticate sketches lol idk

On 6/11/2024 at 10:12 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Your explanation makes more sense than theirs. 

All of this could've been avoided with a solid Black Label, with gold or white lettering.  They're authenticating the signature.  If it isn't legit, green label.  If it is, Black label.  No confusion. No "well if the autograph is authentic, and it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC qualified green label."  WHAT? Who the hell wrote that?  You're not authenticating or grading the sketch LMFAO. 

Absolute insanity. 

- X-Men #1 - sign & sketch = Green label no JSA
 - Venom LP #1 signed & sketch = Yellow w/Black JSA

This seems inconsistent - even if Jim Lees sketch 'is widely emulated' - is Sam De La Rosa not 'widely emulated'? how do you know?

my 2c: I think if the sketch can reasonably be assumed to be by the artist, or the submitter can send in a copy of the COA, that should be yellow with the JSA authentication - but noted that the sketch is not authenticated: Jim Lee Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.

If the submission has a sketch that does not reasonably look like the artists work - ie, I let my kid draw a picture of Spiderman on an ASM 361 cover next to a Mark Bagley signature, that should be a green label, but with the JSA black authentication bar for the signature: Mark Bagley Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.