• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
13 13

446 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2024 at 10:33 AM, dbcn said:

- X-Men #1 - sign & sketch = Green label no JSA
 - Venom LP #1 signed & sketch = Yellow w/Black JSA

This seems inconsistent - even if Jim Lees sketch 'is widely emulated' - is Sam De La Rosa not 'widely emulated'? how do you know?

my 2c: I think if the sketch can reasonably be assumed to be by the artist, or the submitter can send in a copy of the COA, that should be yellow with the JSA authentication - but noted that the sketch is not authenticated: Jim Lee Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.

If the submission has a sketch that does not reasonably look like the artists work - ie, I let my kid draw a picture of Spiderman on an ASM 361 cover next to a Mark Bagley signature, that should be a green label, but with the JSA black authentication bar for the signature: Mark Bagley Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.

I don't believe CGC ever authenticates the sketch, whether the label is yellow/black or green. the question is whether the sketch is so intrusive as to have an impact on the book's grade. So for example, I don't see a blank sketch cover ever getting a green unless there's some other reason it would get the green. This doesn't explan why the venom cover got the yellow/black, but maybe some things just need to get chalked up to growing pains, learning curves and human error.

I don't know if this can be confirmed, but saw this posted somewhere else. Someone submitted books with sigs on them, but did not want sig verification. They were happy for the books to come back however they would with unverified sigs. They got an email from CGC saying they noticed sigs on the book and if they didn't hear back in three days they were assuming they just forgot to ask for verification and they would submit for verification and get charged. Seems a bit backwards. 

On 6/11/2024 at 4:40 PM, wombat said:

I don't know if this can be confirmed, but saw this posted somewhere else. Someone submitted books with sigs on them, but did not want sig verification. They were happy for the books to come back however they would with unverified sigs. They got an email from CGC saying they noticed sigs on the book and if they didn't hear back in three days they were assuming they just forgot to ask for verification and they would submit for verification and get charged. Seems a bit backwards. 

I think the odds (now) are in favor of CGC on that one.  With all the people submitting since they added the service.

Also, they do give 3 days to respond.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 6/11/2024 at 5:20 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I think the odds (now) are in favor if CGC on that one.  With all the people submitting since they added the service.

Also, they do give 3 days to respond.

Shouldn't it be three days to say if you want the service and if not you don't get it? Seems like there should be a better way. If they have time to send an email how about a phone call. 

On 6/11/2024 at 5:31 PM, wombat said:

Shouldn't it be three days to say if you want the service and if not you don't get it? Seems like there should be a better way. If they have time to send an email how about a phone call. 

I agree with you.

If there's no response, don't do something that adds cost to the customer. They'll just have to resubmit the book if they wanted the verification.

I'm just saying that I understand why CGC would assume the service is wanted.  

On 6/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, devilsrain said:

ALL sketches?

CGC4435418-003_OBV@500x787.jpg

FB_IMG_1715114683615.jpg.a5908b064434e920612fc718aee72e4e.jpg

That first one I get because its an extension of the sig, but dang that second one is crazy. Now I'm confused. I think I will hold off on sending until this all gets sorted out. 

On 6/11/2024 at 8:33 AM, dbcn said:

- X-Men #1 - sign & sketch = Green label no JSA
 - Venom LP #1 signed & sketch = Yellow w/Black JSA

This seems inconsistent - even if Jim Lees sketch 'is widely emulated' - is Sam De La Rosa not 'widely emulated'? how do you know?

my 2c: I think if the sketch can reasonably be assumed to be by the artist, or the submitter can send in a copy of the COA, that should be yellow with the JSA authentication - but noted that the sketch is not authenticated: Jim Lee Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.

If the submission has a sketch that does not reasonably look like the artists work - ie, I let my kid draw a picture of Spiderman on an ASM 361 cover next to a Mark Bagley signature, that should be a green label, but with the JSA black authentication bar for the signature: Mark Bagley Authenticated Autograph, sketch on cover.

Yes that Sam Sketch really just hit me with a curve ball! It should not have gotten the JSA yellow label because that is not an extension of his sig. That is a full blown un-witnessed remark. It does not even say on the label that the art on the cover is un-witnessed. I thought only the sig was authenticated lol im so confused...

On 6/12/2024 at 11:12 AM, eastbayrudy said:

That first one I get because its an extension of the sig, but dang that second one is crazy. Now I'm confused. I think I will hold off on sending until this all gets sorted out. 

thanks then for the confused reactions lol glad it worked out lol no worries!

On 6/13/2024 at 12:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

If JSA determines that the autograph is authentic, but the sketch is not verifiable, the comic will still receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label, and the grade will be lowered to reflect the presence of an unverified sketch on the comic.

@CGC Mike - great to hear CGC is listening to feedback and modifying the policies accordingly (and is communicating those changes!) - for my 2c on the above, I'd rather have the green label than the grade drop tbh, maybe I'm an edge case tho.

On 6/13/2024 at 11:25 AM, dbcn said:

@CGC Mike - great to hear CGC is listening to feedback and modifying the policies accordingly (and is communicating those changes!) - for my 2c on the above, I'd rather have the green label than the grade drop tbh, maybe I'm an edge case tho.

I believe CGC is typically open to providing either a green label or a reduced grade if the customer indicates a preference on the submission form, so feel free to at least give it a try.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:01 AM, CGC Mike said:

I’m happy to let you know that we’re updating our policy on sketches next week. After evaluating submitter customer feedback, our experts decided that if an autographed comic has a sketch on it, JSA will determine if it can authenticate the autograph as well as the sketch. If JSA authenticates both the autograph and the sketch, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If JSA determines that the autograph is authentic, but the sketch is not verifiable, the comic will still receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label, and the grade will be lowered to reflect the presence of an unverified sketch on the comic. Autographed comics with sketches on them will no longer receive the CGC Qualified green label.

Please contact Customer Service if you would like to send back a sketch submission that received the CGC Qualified green label.

Thanks! I think its time to send some in now. 

On 6/13/2024 at 12:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

I’m happy to let you know that we’re updating our policy on sketches next week. After evaluating submitter customer feedback, our experts decided that if an autographed comic has a sketch on it, JSA will determine if it can authenticate the autograph as well as the sketch. If JSA authenticates both the autograph and the sketch, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If JSA determines that the autograph is authentic, but the sketch is not verifiable, the comic will still receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label, and the grade will be lowered to reflect the presence of an unverified sketch on the comic. Autographed comics with sketches on them will no longer receive the CGC Qualified green label.

Please contact Customer Service if you would like to send back a sketch submission that received the CGC Qualified green label.

Wil this apply to blanks as well?

For example my Walt Simonson sketch???

12aeba8d-412d-4387-ae8d-f0d3175c6fc6.jpg

• Administrator
On 6/13/2024 at 3:31 PM, TheCollector2016 said:

Does the authentication apply to magazines too, or only comics?

From the FAQ

When can I submit my autographed magazines for combined CGC and JSA certification?

Combined CGC and JSA certification services for magazines as well as pulps and concert posters are currently in development, and will be among the next CGC x JSA offerings. Services and pricing for magazines, pulps and concert posters will be announced in the coming months.

• Administrator
On 6/13/2024 at 8:22 PM, A-DONIS said:

Wil this apply to blanks as well?

For example my Walt Simonson sketch???

12aeba8d-412d-4387-ae8d-f0d3175c6fc6.jpg

Hi

I do not know the answer to this question.  So, my instructions are to refer you to customer service.  You can either call, e-mail, text, or start a thread in the Ask CGC section.

Mike

On 6/14/2024 at 8:25 AM, wombat said:

So how exactly will they be authenticating sketches? 

It's not that hard to spot fakes.