• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
10 10

202 posts in this topic

IMO, the difference should be clearly identified and not the same yellow label color as witnessed books. This would be fair to those who already own and will possess the premium process of witnessed signatures going forward.  A witnessed signature is 100% authentic & as mentioned previously, a verified signature is an opinion and not 100% proven. Also, as mentioned earlier, a verified signature should get a blue label with a notification that the signature has been verified. These can then be noted after sales in GPA like "newsstand editions" are now. These verified signatures should not affect the current signature series census in any way shape or form. As a collector of primarily yellow label CGC books, this topic has got my attention.  As a secondary point, if you want to continue to call yourself the gold standard company, please dont do what your competitors are already doing on this subject. Are you listening here @CGC Comics ??

On 3/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

No, not "mad" about the label. 

I would prefer to that signature that I had Stan do before there were even slabs be verified by a professional.

Signature verification is not nonsense, it is a valued service. Which is why CGC just decided to add it to their business. They certainly don't think it's nonsense. 

Always interested at how mad others get over these things. 

That's not the nonsense I'm talking about. Its the witnesses could be faked. It is funny how strongly you came out about the stan lee sigs but its "others" that get mad over these things. Sure. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:56 PM, lostboys said:

CGC gonna train people to authenticate sigs?

Frightening

Well, we know their graders are flawless and their QC is rock solid, right? 

I mean, what could possibly go wrong? 

I use JSA for a lot of boxing memorabilia as they both witness and authenticate ($10 at a show is still a great deal) and was hearing Saturday they were going to partner with another company and made a best guess it would be CGC. The announcement that they were fully purchased by CCG is pretty big news for the entire industry and will very likely have fallout in the community (one way or the other).

I am interested in how this is going to shake out on the JSA side as they are much more known in the "collectibles" industry than CGC and already offer authentication (via sticker) for comic books. Another thing to note is that when you get something authenticated at a show you do not need a witness, you are the one that walks it through the line and then bring it to the JSA table for the sticker and secondary authentication check (which takes 10min on a bad day).

On 3/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, DougC said:

I use JSA for a lot of boxing memorabilia as they both witness and authenticate ($10 at a show is still a great deal) and was hearing Saturday they were going to partner with another company and made a best guess it would be CGC. The announcement that they were fully purchased by CCG is pretty big news for the entire industry and will very likely have fallout in the community (one way or the other).

I am interested in how this is going to shake out on the JSA side as they are much more known in the "collectibles" industry than CGC and already offer authentication (via sticker) for comic books. Another thing to note is that when you get something authenticated at a show you do not need a witness, you are the one that walks it through the line and then bring it to the JSA table for the sticker and secondary authentication check (which takes 10min on a bad day).

Interesting if that will be the remedy at shows, and or, if it will still affect what "authentication " you end up with, witnessed or the new verified or same process. Confusing a bit until it rolls out.

Also

I'm not too aware of JSA other than maybe the justice society lol

But my question, do you mean "fallout" from JSA? I'm sure they've done a lot of authentication already, whether a encapsulation idk, but is that going to undermine all the past work? By JSA undermined specifically?

I'm not sure how all these things go, beyond the purchaser usually changes all the new labels to their brand and in this case to cgc.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

But my question, do you mean "fallout" from JSA? I'm sure they've done a lot of authentication already, whether a encapsulation idk, but is that going to undermine all the past work?

I can only speak from personal experience but non-comic book people often view CGC in the way CGC purists would view CBCS. In the larger collectibles industry CGC is super niche and generally trusted with comics but has become laughable with their expansion into grading cards (and everything else), right now they are trusted at the same level as D teir garage companies and their cards see low returns when sold. How this is going to effect the reputation of either company is the gamble I would assume.

It has always been a struggle explaining that CGC will not authenticate a stan lee signature on a comic and it getting a green label (selling for much less) when they can get a full JSA letter of authentication keeping the book raw and have buyers around the block.

JSA also authenticates are (sketches) so my hope is that eventually we will be able to submit sketch covers for "authentic art" and not have to get it graded; which is already being done by CBCS/Beckett.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:07 PM, DougC said:

I can only speak from personal experience but non-comic book people often view CGC in the way CGC purists would view CBCS. In the larger collectibles industry CGC is super niche and generally trusted with comics but has become laughable with their expansion into grading cards (and everything else), right now they are trusted at the same level as D teir garage companies and their cards see low returns when sold. How this is going to effect the reputation of either company is the gamble I would assume.

It has always been a struggle explaining that CGC will not authenticate a stan lee signature on a comic and it getting a green label (selling for much less) when they can get a full JSA letter of authentication keeping the book raw and have buyers around the block.

JSA also authenticates are (sketches) so my hope is that eventually we will be able to submit sketch covers for "authentic art" and not have to get it graded; which is already being done by CBCS/Beckett.

1. Spoiler

Is that true for video games? Been curious as the fees are a smidgen cheaper than the competition , but for what I wanted to submit, the sales seemed comparable.

In short too many genres with not enough of a sample size of my own to do the research. I guess I'll have to keep waiting, as card competition it is either near mint or bust for even Pokémon holo, but the lower grade cgc seems to sell still. Maybe I need to recheck that as well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Accidentally hit something other than spoiler

Everything so far looks comparable for what I own, but I don't want anyone to talk competition because of me @DougC

I'll leave it at jsa being bought up and Lord willing some reputation confidence being restored, and or, continued.

This can still be seen as exciting  for me, as most everything other than comics I own is still raw. No worries 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"I own"

On 3/20/2024 at 1:06 PM, The Man Without Beer said:

IMO, the difference should be clearly identified and not the same yellow label color as witnessed books. This would be fair to those who already own and will possess the premium process of witnessed signatures going forward.  A witnessed signature is 100% authentic & as mentioned previously, a verified signature is an opinion and not 100% proven. Also, as mentioned earlier, a verified signature should get a blue label with a notification that the signature has been verified. These can then be noted after sales in GPA like "newsstand editions" are now. These verified signatures should not affect the current signature series census in any way shape or form. As a collector of primarily yellow label CGC books, this topic has got my attention.  As a secondary point, if you want to continue to call yourself the gold standard company, please dont do what your competitors are already doing on this subject. Are you listening here @CGC Comics ??

Seconding this.  My main gripe with "the guys across the street" is that they caved to customers and made everything yellow label.  Granted, it's noted as "Verified", but at quick glance it's all the same.  There was a time where they used Red labels for such verified sigs.  So why the change?  Because they knew their customers were jaded and only cared about labels of a certain color.  People don't like green labels, just as they didn't like red.  They wanted yellow.  Make Verified sigs orange or something.  (I'd say red, but we can't have any confusion with the OG red label CGC Universal books).

Why is this such a big deal?  Because someone documented sending in fake signatures to "the guys across the street" to see what would happen and their books came back "verified" yellow.  Such failures cast doubt on the entire thing and so there needs to be a clear distinction between witnessed sigs and verified sigs beyond some fine print that is impossible to see unless you have the book in hand.

@CGC Comics @CGC Mike

And more on topic, I think I understand having not known to begin with, but basically these are sports authenticator that cgc bought up? So it is a new set of cards, video games, comics and etc of signatures to to learn to authenticate.

My oh my. Everything seems to be above my pay grade lately.

Spoiler

Thanks @onlyweaknesskryptonite

I truly needed this whether subconsciously or idk. I just might need a minute lol

41k1EBJLhuL._AC_SY580_.jpg.1aa793c19eb4174db21bed74b217dd8f.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/20/2024 at 8:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And more on topic, I think I understand having not known to begin with, but basically these are sports authenticator that cgc bought up? So it is a new set of cards, video games, comics and etc of signatures to to learn to authenticate.

My oh my. Everything seems to be above my pay grade lately.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks @onlyweaknesskryptonite

I truly needed this whether subconsciously or idk. I just might need a minute lol

41k1EBJLhuL._AC_SY580_.jpg.1aa793c19eb4174db21bed74b217dd8f.jpg

JSA and PSA both started with a primary focus in sports 20 years ago. Since then they have generalized and authenticate a wide range of fields now. The same with Beckett (BAS) who certifies for CBCS.

Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 3/20/2024 at 7:17 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

JSA and PSA both started with a primary focus in sports 20 years ago. Since then they have generalized and authenticate a wide range of fields now. The same with Beckett (BAS) who certifies for CBCS.

I guess I knew something like that, but have never been into sports grading much, which except for owning a few and bits and pieces "heard here" I was oblivious about!

Again thanks for the update as it wasn't since mainly the late eighties to early nineties that I collected sports stuff, and mostly baseball all drek sitting in the closet. It is appreciated 

doh! 😣😳

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1710980263310.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM