• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

346 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, cousin itt said:

I wonder if they'll be authenticating dynamic forces books (like the Jack Kirby ones).

If you are asking if the Dynamic Forces Jack Kirbys will pass JSA authentication, the answer is “no.”

On 3/20/2024 at 9:35 PM, shadroch said:

How is JSA's reputation in the autograph industry? I know they are one of the larger but do they have a good rep?

The reputation is comparable to PSA. It’s like all hobby politics… People have their favorites. But JSA is undeniably in the top three with PSA and Beckett.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:17 PM, grendelbo said:

img_2737.png.9fba037d5845da622606220c219f28fc.png

I'm liking 'salamander' for the new signature authentication slabbing.  Especially given that many types of salamanders can change their colors.  :grin:

Edited by namisgr

On 3/20/2024 at 2:57 PM, drotto said:

but with the competitions authentication people have always questioned by whom and how those signatures have been verified.

Experts comparing multiple examples of known authentic signatures.

Just like JSA.

Surprised people questioned this since it is very well-known.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:57 PM, drotto said:

CGC has finally decided it is monitarly worth it for them to provide this service. 

"We will never certify signatures that we haven't witnessed"

"ok, we will, and here's what we'll charge to do it"

On 3/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

No, not "mad" about the label. 

I would prefer to that signature that I had Stan do before there were even slabs be verified by a professional.

Yet you chose to send it to CGC instead.

I'm happy with this announcement and not surprised at all. It will be nice to have a mechanism at CGC for authenticating older signatures.

I think it is a nail in the coffin for competitors. I know many people who only use other grading services because they have signed books they know are authentic, and there was no mechanism outside of slab notes like "'Stan Lee' written on page 1" as an option at CGC. I suspect a lot of them will crack those books and send them to CGC. Heck, it would not surprise me if CGC offered up a special where people can send in signed books from one specific other service for reholdering into CGC cases like they did years ago with unsigned ones. In fact, if I was running CGC that is exactly what I would do in order to pull even more higher end competitor slabs out of the marketplace. 

On 3/21/2024 at 7:54 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

??????????????????????????????

It'll be a good use case for how authentic this service will be. There's no way to know if Jack or Roz signed those so if they start getting authenticated as Jack sigs, well....

On 3/21/2024 at 8:29 AM, Stefan_W said:

Heck, it would not surprise me if CGC offered up a special where people can send in signed books from one specific other service for reholdering into CGC cases

They'll never do that.

Who will crack a verified sig to take a chance on the competitor saying they can't verify it?

On 3/21/2024 at 8:44 AM, Sigur Ros said:

They'll never do that.

Who will crack a verified sig to take a chance on the competitor saying they can't verify it?

I know people who would line up to do exactly that. The target group would be people who have books they personally took to Stan Lee (or other artist signing) signings many years ago and who only used the competitor because of their verification option. 

On 3/21/2024 at 8:47 AM, Stefan_W said:

I know people who would line up to do exactly that. The target group would be people who have books they personally took to Stan Lee (or other artist signing) signings many years ago and who only used the competitor because of their verification option. 

Well maybe CGC will have a private sale for your friends.

Anyway, let me know if any of the hard to verify, but verified, Stan Lee sigs come back as failed.

That would be hilarious.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:58 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

The reputation is comparable to PSA. It’s like all hobby politics… People have their favorites. But JSA is undeniably in the top three with PSA and Beckett.

Because Roz signed them, I'm assuming.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:56 AM, F For Fake said:

Because Roz signed them, I'm assuming.

Certainly Jack didn’t sign them. Whether it was Roz or another proxy is moot. Basically any Jack signature after 1990 is suspect. I’m sure there are a few exceptions. 

I recall in the distant past many people groaning about how CGC wouldn’t yellow label dynamic forces books, and other things that were allegedly signed under supervision. Well, the Kirby situation certainly shows the wisdom in that decision.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:53 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

If you are asking if the Dynamic Forces Jack Kirbys will pass JSA authentication, the answer is “no.”

Perhaps they will authenticate Roz's signature.  I'd like one of those.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:53 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Yes that's what I was wondering.  I had heard there were questions raised as to whether or not those were really Jack Kirby's signatures.