• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is "Poor Pressing" and how is that a book defect and not an opinion?
5 5

48 posts in this topic

My whole last Submission had never seen this before. And I got big hits on the grades. If something is poorly pressed that sounds like an opinion not a defect in the book. The result of poor press should be the standard. Crease to cover, spine stress etc. those type of things correct? Or am I crazy? Ive already reached out to support for an explanation but nada. I have no idea what this means and took significant grade hits to what should've been higher grade books.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.56.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.56.54 PM.png

Edited by Crusafitch

The real irony would be if CGC did the pressing, and then dinged themselves for doing a poor job.

P.S.  As I understand it, pretty much ALL grader's notes are "opinions."

Edited by Axe Elf

But like a crease is a crease, water damage is water damage. There's a physical defect attached to each the severity of which is of slight opinion. But Poor Press? Where or what is the associated defect? It's pure opinion. 

An opinion?  Maybe but that's what you pay CGC for, an opinion of the grade and condition of the book.

In reality they've identified poor pressing, water logged, and moisture damage on many of your submitted books.  Rather than reject their grading as an opinion I think you should study the books carefully to see if you can identify a problem.  Water logged would indicate these books have been exposed to way too much moisture during pressing and  that isn't normal.   CGC isn't perfect but I bet dollars to doughnuts there's visible pressing damage like pebbling.

Are you pressing your books or is someone else?

On 4/9/2024 at 3:37 PM, Crusafitch said:

But like a crease is a crease, water damage is water damage. There's a physical defect attached to each the severity of which is of slight opinion. But Poor Press? Where or what is the associated defect? It's pure opinion. 

It's not though. There's a whole constellation of ways that pressing can go wrong. For example, if the pressing process has imprinted a pattern into the paper or has flattened the comic in ways that cannot possibly reflect actual production. Pebbling is also an imprinted pattern, but caused by poor post-press drying practices rather than poor pressing per se, but they usually notate that as "pebbling", so I expect something else is the problem here.. Any of those is a concrete, mechanical flaw. "Poor pressing" doesn't mean CGC's graders think the presser could have done a nicer job and worked out more flaws; it means they believe the presser damaged the book.

That's especially true in combination with a grader note like "water logged", which means that these books (or at least parts of them) were exposed to so much water that there is structural evidence of that experience. I can only assume that also reflects errors by the presser.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

"Dollars to donuts" aka "a dollar to a donut"

In the past, that expression meant something was so certain that you would bet $1 to what used to be a 5 cent donut, or roughly 20:1 odds.

Now I think it is pretty much even odds, $1 to a $1 donut, or possibly less than an even-money bet.

But the expression hangs in there, or is it lost on the current generation?

Not sure but next I'm gonna trot out 'you've got more _________ than Carter's got pills'

On 4/9/2024 at 3:25 PM, Qalyar said:

It's not though. There's a whole constellation of ways that pressing can go wrong. For example, if the pressing process has imprinted a pattern into the paper or has flattened the comic in ways that cannot possibly reflect actual production. Pebbling is also an imprinted pattern, but caused by poor post-press drying practices rather than poor pressing per se, but they usually notate that as "pebbling", so I expect something else is the problem here.. Any of those is a concrete, mechanical flaw. "Poor pressing" doesn't mean CGC's graders think the presser could have done a nicer job and worked out more flaws; it means they believe the presser damaged the book.

That's especially true in combination with a grader note like "water logged", which means that these books (or at least parts of them) were exposed to so much water that there is structural evidence of that experience. I can only assume that also reflects errors by the presser.

Agreed.  And if the books were water logged they may very well have suffered pressing damage because of their hydrated state.  This isn't about defects that weren't fixed by pressing, this is about defects introduced by the press.

I don't think poorly pressed is an opinion...they seem to provide some of the reasoning in the other defects (water logged, moisture). Whoever pressed this ruined the paper in this manner. Rippling and other things like markings imprinted into the cover are another...CGC graders have seen enough pressing now to decipher if the flaws were caused by that or by reading, and them putting poor pressing identifies that specifically as the cause.

Never use a presser who has not pressed for more than 5 years OR

Never use a presser who has pressed less than 500 books in their life AND

Always be wary of a presser who uses a press that cost them less than $100.

Those are my golden rules

On 4/9/2024 at 12:58 PM, Crusafitch said:

image.thumb.png.167d9bba845c54b8c1f1a0e96df1121f.png

Can you tell us who pressed the books?

I am all for taking a shot at CGC for their terrible high heat quick press but this seems to be a case of over hydration where the book "reverted" after pressing. Even I doubt this would be done by them (your book is more likely to be burnt). I had a copy of defenders #65 in this condition where the book wrinkled after being slabbed, another press fixed the issue and it retained the 9.8 (thanks Rich).

On 4/9/2024 at 10:42 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I have to see what these books looked like. :popcorn:

He shared a pic elsewhere.  You can see what looks like rippling in the book, even in a straight-on view of the comic in the slab.  Looks like too much humidity was used without properly adjusting the pressing parameters.