• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is "Poor Pressing" and how is that a book defect and not an opinion?
5 5

48 posts in this topic

I'd leave them as is except for the Edge of Spiderverse #2. I hope you can pinpoint what you did wrong so this doesn't happen again. Either that or give up the pressing hobby and move on to something else.  

Edited by Flanders82

On 4/12/2024 at 3:55 PM, joeypost said:

I have seen books pressed with such high heat that they were scorched. In this case, I think scorched or burnt paper would be a better description compared to poorly pressed. 

Brittle pages

On 4/10/2024 at 2:45 PM, Crusafitch said:

Yes, I am not a professional presser and I do not press anything other than my own books. I do not vary my technique often either. Been at it for almost 3 years now and over 500 books all from my own PC. I have never seen this grade before. Especially since the submission a week before came back all 9.8's minus one at a 9.6.     I have over time seen grader notes such as canvassing which is a defect of poor pressing etc. But the point is that very much points out what was wrong. While some of the books above include other grader notes such as moisture damage. Ok, an argument can be made there that maybe idk i don't have the books back yet. But what about Star Wars force Awakens if you see only has one note.....poorly pressed. Well WTF does that mean? And with no other notes to accompany it. Leaves me to wonder just WTF is going on here.

Could you describe how you humidify books for pressing?  Did you do anything while humidifying your books differently?

On 4/9/2024 at 1:58 PM, Crusafitch said:

My whole last Submission had never seen this before. And I got big hits on the grades. If something is poorly pressed that sounds like an opinion not a defect in the book. The result of poor press should be the standard. Crease to cover, spine stress etc. those type of things correct? Or am I crazy? Ive already reached out to support for an explanation but nada. I have no idea what this means and took significant grade hits to what should've been higher grade books.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.56.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.57.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.56.54 PM.png

I too have been the victim of poor pressing, I have 10 keys that got 9.6s that should be 9.8s last book was 1st lando 2nd Fett it said pebbling to cover and got an 8.0 . Unfortunately I have to find a new guy which stinks. Who can you trust? I also think a book has been switched. I'm going to have CGC do it now an wait forever. I definitely feel your pain 

On 4/9/2024 at 4:37 PM, Crusafitch said:

But like a crease is a crease, water damage is water damage. There's a physical defect attached to each the severity of which is of slight opinion. But Poor Press? Where or what is the associated defect? It's pure opinion. 

Pancakes are for breakfast not for comicbooks.

This is what Joey meant when he told me years ago with pressing, less is more. 

These guys trying to learn from youtube with a $100 press, steel plates, multiple backing boards, parchment paper, a steamer and some "liquid magic forumla" for cover cleaning should steer clear of them.  Knowing what I know now, I'd happily give a pro presser $10K to teach me how to do it properly, would have saved me a 3 year learning curve.