• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
3 3

171 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2024 at 3:58 PM, dickymoe74 said:

Here is another one....  Not sure how this could slip through the quality control?  Hmm.  upper top each corner, looks like its on the pulp but not, issue with inside plastic and outer slab.

I'm happy with the grade, just not the weird marks on the slab,

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

You might want to post this in the “Ask CGC” section. You might be entitled to a free reholder. 

On 6/17/2024 at 8:06 AM, Robot Man said:

You might want to post this in the “Ask CGC” section. You might be entitled to a free reholder. 

Thank you, Robot Man -

CGC states 14 days, to issue a complaint, I waited to long due to being in shock "LOL" but, for sure worth the try.........

On 6/17/2024 at 9:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

This is what Matt said:

"Ask him to send them back via reholder service, put my name on the printout and send you/me the tracking #. I’ll waive the fees. I want to see these myself so I can understand what happened, then get them reholdered for him."

So, if you wish to do this, please send me the tracking number when they ship.  Also, it is very important to write ATTN: Matt Nelson on the packing slip.

WOW!  Great service CGC Mike, thank you!  I will re-submit the Pulps and follow the instruction you just sent.  Thank you for reaching out....

On 6/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

This is what Matt said:

"Ask him to send them back via reholder service, put my name on the printout and send you/me the tracking #. I’ll waive the fees. I want to see these myself so I can understand what happened, then get them reholdered for him."

So, if you wish to do this, please send me the tracking number when they ship.  Also, it is very important to write ATTN: Matt Nelson on the packing slip.

Matt Nelson is 100%. They're lucky to have him. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/22/2024 at 1:01 PM, Dr. Love said:

which leads me to ask the experts here - which pulp titles are known to be production trimmed?  not talking bedsheets or digests of course

weird tales, starting with? and...?

I'm fairly certain Blue Book, but nobody slabs those...  (:

On 6/22/2024 at 3:01 PM, Dr. Love said:

which leads me to ask the experts here - which pulp titles are known to be production trimmed?  not talking bedsheets or digests of course

weird tales, starting with? and...?

According to RedFury, Weird Tales was production trimmed starting in late 1930. 

On 6/22/2024 at 6:26 PM, OtherEric said:

The first trimmed issue of ASTOUNDING was February 1936.  It's even mentioned inside the issue.

That's interesting, what is the context there? Was factory trimming seen as 'classier' or something? 

I'm pretty sure I've seen references by Street & Smith back when The Popular was taking off that it was a cost-saving thing.  As in, we are doing everything we can to bring the public quality authors and have a high page count but keep costs low.

It's not just overhang, but you'll see all sorts of variance in signature edges and paper in some pulps.  Disposable reading materials (shrug)

There's a lot to learn.  The trimming is something that's important to people coming from comic culture (and perhaps to very certain types of old school collectors, likely the high end kind), but it's not something that I've never noticed too much concern with (or frankly paid much attention to), and I'd guess I'm fairly typical of a lot of pulp readers.  It's not the sort of information magazine indexers (I'm in this group) have tended to pay attention to, because it's a very peripheral bit of information.  Usually the only time I've noticed trimming is when it's very poorly done. I don't know that it ever even gets mentioned in Bookery's?  From what I see, the established pulp dealers (the ones who no doubt know best about trimming) are very happy to hop on the CGC train even with the haphazard aspects even if it seems like it's mostly being done on an experimental basis so far.  The main place I see a shift to CGC grading happening in the pulps is at Heritage where it seems to be happening very fast.