• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has pre code Horror cooled?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Hi All

Been looking at some pre-code horror and after that intense rocket of price, it FEELS like its cooling a bit..

Is that just wishful thinking?  Seeing some beauties for sale at relatively reasonaly prices!

On 4/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, TylerHam said:

Hi All

Been looking at some pre-code horror and after that intense rocket of price, it FEELS like its cooling a bit..

Is that just wishful thinking?  Seeing some beauties for sale at relatively reasonaly prices!

This is just my own anectodal observation, but unless it has an unremarkable cover, can't say that I've seen much cooling with PCH.  In fact, to my eye, the population of desirable PCH covers just seems to continue to expand, and along with it, the associated prices (though some may simply be stable).

If you're lucky, you may find some "deals" here and there, especially in mid-grade'ish (5.0 - 7.0) issues.  Other times, I don't see much of a letdown in prices in dang-near any grade with most PCH.  Especially not higher grades.  Then you have people on the lower end just wanting to get in the door with an issue and paying up for them.  This causes price compression in some of the lower-to-mid grades that'll be interesting to see how it plays out.  Lately, I've been trying to buy in the 5.0-8.0 range depending on the comic, and it's been hit-or-miss (mostly miss), but I've had more success than in the past.  Then you have stuff like Matt Baker covers where even some of the more mundane covers are still hot.

I keep saying there will be some cooling off, and, like I said, you see it here and there, but it depends on the issue, the grade and the auction.  I think a lot of SA/BA money may have jumped into GA at least temporarily causing this run-up.  I don't know how long it'll stay there.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:26 PM, Telegan said:

If you're lucky, you may find some "deals" here and there, especially in mid-grade'ish (5.0 - 7.0) issues.  Other times, I don't see much of a letdown in prices in dang-near any grade with most PCH.  Especially not higher grades.  Then you have people on the lower end just wanting to get in the door with an issue and paying up for them.  This causes price compression in some of the lower-to-mid grades that'll be interesting to see how it plays out.  Lately, I've been trying to buy in the 5.0-8.0 range depending on the comic, and it's been hit-or-miss (mostly miss), but I've had more success than in the past.  Then you have stuff like Matt Baker covers where even some of the more mundane covers are still hot.

I keep saying there will be some cooling off, and, like I said, you see it here and there, but it depends on the issue, the grade and the auction.  I think a lot of SA/BA money may have jumped into GA at least temporarily causing this run-up.  I don't know how long it'll stay there.

It seems like mid-grade prices have probably cooled, possibly because strong prices have brought so many copies out of the woodwork. Books that weren't considered worthy of slabbing are now getting slabbed. Single-highest-graded copies continue to sell for very strong prices.

In my view, you're dreaming if you think PCH has cooled regardless of grade, &  whether slabbed or raw.  Try and find a deal on a cover illustrated by L.B. Cole, Matt Fox, or any of the EC artists.  Years back, there was a plethora of of PCH on eBay, at reasonable prices.  Not so anymore; very few for auction.  Yes, many for BIN offerings, but at ridiculous asking prices. 

At H.A., you have to bid strongly, in that there is always competition for the books.  Same with Comic Link and My Comic Shop auctions.  Many pre code crime books with violent covers are also gaining price appreciation.  In either genre, blood or skeletons/skulls on the cover will spike the price.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:58 PM, fifties said:

In my view, you're dreaming if you think PCH has cooled regardless of grade, &  whether slabbed or raw.  Try and find a deal on a cover illustrated by L.B. Cole, Matt Fox, or any of the EC artists.  Years back, there was a plethora of of PCH on eBay, at reasonable prices.  Not so anymore; very few for auction.  Yes, many for BIN offerings, but at ridiculous asking prices. 

At H.A., you have to bid strongly, in that there is always competition for the books.  Same with Comic Link and My Comic Shop auctions.  Many pre code crime books with violent covers are also gaining price appreciation.  In either genre, blood or skeletons/skulls on the cover will spike the price.

Agreed.  I don't see any cooling of the good stuff.

Speaking of which ... I got an email from MCS today that a CGC 6.0 copy of Chamber of Chills #21 was in stock (great PCH cover and Lee Elias goodness!).  I didn't read the email until later, so by the time I went to look, it had already sold.  It was listed for $1500.  I'm guessing it sold for that (?) - I guess we'll see when it makes it to GPA.  If so, holy cow, that's strong for that grade. In Feb. 2024 a 6.0 sold for $720.  In Mar. 2024 a 3.0 sold for $840,.  Wild prices being paid here and there.  I don't think I would've paid that much for it, but it's still on my list. :D

Just my 2 cents.

Short answer: No

Long Answer: The PCH collector pool has seen a recent uptick as well as a lot more books coming to market. While it’s possible that there will eventually be enough low to mid grade copies to meet the demand, I don’t see the supply meeting the demand for upper mid-grade to high grade happening any time soon.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Condition is not a factor. For every high grade collector, there are hundreds of low grade collectors scrambling to pick up any copy they can find. Used to be there were deals in the mid grades but no longer.

This. When I first got serious collecting PCH in the early 2000’s, I would turn my nose at anything below a 7.0. Of course there was more to choose from at way better prices. As time went on and prices rose, my standards started to ease up. 6.5 - 5.0 started to not look so bad if you really wanted a copy. I think the lowest grade I’ve gone to is 4.5 graded. But now even at these grades the prices are crazy high. It’s hard to believe some of the prices for slabbed beaters at around the 1.8 - 2.0 range go for. These books used to sell in groups of 5 - 10 for $50-$75. 

If anyone thinks prices are cooling, I believe they have been heating up!IMG_3288.jpeg.ac4c2117e201254950c2f09e47b79eb0.jpeg

On 4/13/2024 at 6:17 AM, Ryan. said:

I too got that notification email and, indeed, it sold for $1500 48 minutes after it was listed for sale. It's one of my favorite PCH covers. It's weird, it's purple, it's got a skeleton wearing a hat. It's perfect. That $1500 may be a great buy in retrospect. 

Incidentally, I got my 2.5 from Terry one year ago at the Little Giant show, which I'm heading to today! I'm guessing his pulp boxes will be busy this year.

I just love that cover, and that skeleton is AWESOME, buuuut I thought it was a bit much for me in terms of price.  Though, in retrospect, maybe it's just getting started. lol.  Who knows.  Had the MCS one been around $800-$900, I definitely would've jumped on it.

I've been on a bit of a PCH buying "frenzy" the past few months and recently saw one of the comics highest on my want list show up for auction - Blue Bolt #115.  It was only a CGC 2.5.  I read the CGC grader notes and it had a detached cover, so I decided to maybe stay away from that, but almost bought it despite the defect.  A month or two later I saw another CGC 2.5 show up and decided to bid on it.  Surprisingly got that one.  It was the cover that, when I randomly saw it, really turned me on to PCH and Golden Age comics.  It's got flaws, obviously, being a CGC 2.5, but it was good enough for me.

Edited by Telegan

On 4/13/2024 at 6:31 PM, fifties said:

Since I collect to read and keep (as long as there's at least one good story, or a desirable cover illustration), my collection contains down to Fair in some cases, just so long as I HAVE the book.  I paid two bucks for this one in the early '70's, and saw a 1.8 at H.A. auction for 1000 times that amount a few years ago.  so the point is, grab when you can; you can maybe U/G later.

Mister Mystery 12.jpg

I picked up a PR copy of that exact issue some 6-7 years ago, and I'm sure glad I did. I've had ZERO realistic chances to upgrade since then.

Has pre code Horror cooled? I hope the blank so. It may be starting to level out especially on books that come around often. Harder to say for the scarcer to auction/for sale books that are on many peoples want lists. 

Edited by Professor K
Excuse my language

On 4/13/2024 at 8:45 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I've posted this before, but since we're on the topic, this is the ONLY piece of original comic art I own.  Wish I had bought a lot more of it when I could!

chamber of chills #21 cover.jpg

That’s a beauty of a cover! I too wish I would have bought all the Harvey covers that just sat and sat on eBay about 12 years ago. 😭

I don't see it.  Prices for key covers and L.B. Cole covers are really strong.

Exhibit B below.  Keep in mind these notes:  "Cover and first two wraps detached. Binder hole through whole book. Centerfold and page 2 re-attached with tape."

evidence1.jpg

Exhibit C:

evidence2.thumb.jpg.a88910d0453bbf5b649b7bdbbc197a05.jpg

Edited by *paull*