• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 3
13 13

194 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, Point Five said:

There’s a lesson here. If you’ve ever been tempted to buy a CGC slab WITHOUT looking up the grading notes… maybe an ebay BIN OMG OMG gotta get it before anyone else does! — print up the grading notes to this Secret Wars #8 and post them on your wall.

8.0. Good grief. doh! 

Wasn't there, once upon a time, a thing about non-visible defects being notated on the Blue Label?  

I know they changed that a little bit ago so that not "all" defects would be notated anymore, but I thought these hidden defects would still be noted.  So now nothing is noted anymore?  And it's just "you can check the grader's notes." 

4 points, 1 bull for me

I had both the flash and SW8 at a 7.5. Both were a struggle because they present really well and I felt like they were going to grade high….. but have flaws (chip out and rust) that disqualify them from VF for me. 

I tried to minimize the damage by going as high as I could without crossing that line. 

In the end, I will absolutely take the 4. :banana: 

Posted (edited)

So the line is a printing defect. Well then this is a me problem then.

I still think it’s disingenuous to include that book in the contest.

Edited by ChrispyC66

On 5/1/2024 at 10:21 AM, zzutak said:

Yeah, this stumped me as well.  It doesn't seem straight enough to be a color-breaking crease, it's too wide in spots to be a simple scratch, and it's wholly contained within the yellow portion of the coupon (so it's probably not scanner related).  I haven't seen this anomaly on other copies of this issue, so it's probably not a printing plate defect, and ink roller blemishes are generally not diagonal.

I have no clue, although it does not appear CGC treated it as a defect deserving of a grade deduction.

I was pretty sure it was a production defect, only on the grounds that I thought it would be hard to generate a defect like that after the event without some other damage somewhere. Yeah, pretty shaky logic.

On 4/30/2024 at 9:01 PM, skypinkblu said:

I had it at 6.5, wanted to make it a 6.0. I wanted to make the Secret Wars a really low number because not even "I" would buy a book with that kind of centerfold rust...then I lost a few more overgrading books after the last round where we had a 9.6 that I couldn't see as more than a 9.0.

8 points. I knew it was a disaster after I saw that video CGC put out last night...talking about grading a book by how it appears and not needing any training...unfortunately I saw that after I submitted my grades, lol. That video was scary.

You have the link to the video, or let me know where to find it?

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:11 PM, Vince G said:

You have the link to the video, or let me know where to find it?

It was in one of the complaining about CGC threads...

I don't usually read them, I kind of found it by accident, but I think it was posted last night.

Edited by skypinkblu

• Administrator

It looks like 6 people failed to submit their grades in time.  2 people submitted them after the deadline.