• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 4
11 11

206 posts in this topic

• Administrator

This round is closed.  The reveal is coming in a few, followed by the graders notes.  This appears to be the hardest round of the contest.  1 book is the culprit that many missed.  I received grades ranging from 5.0 to 9.6  The lower grade would be the closer to the actual grade of that book.  Maybe half of the participants got double digit points for this round?  Whether or not this changes the leaderboard?  I do not know.  However, I am hoping to get the results so I can post them tomorrow night.  After this reveal, I will record the grades of the 15 or so people waiting for confirmation that I have recorded them.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words posted in the thread, and in PM's.  That was very kind of you.  :) 

As far as any tiebreaker rounds go?  I hope to post it tomorrow night.  It will depend on me getting the results or not.  Anyhow, any tiebreaker round will be for 1st 2nd and 3rd place only.  What about the 6th place winner?  This will be decided by the participants that are eligible, and will be based on their performance with the 20 books posted and their grades for said books.  We will be using the final rankings to determine the winner.  Why are we doing it this way?  I do not want to post a tiebreaker round and have participants competing for 6th place, instead of their best guesses for the actual grades of the books.  

With that said, I wish to thank @Get Marwood & I for donating the $500 grading credit price.  That was very generous of him.  (worship)

Here's the final rankings that will be used to determine the 6th place winner.  This will also be used if the 3 books in the tiebreaker round do not determine a 1st 2nd and 3rd place winner.  

1) Most cumulative Bullseyes  (Based on the 20 books only, and no tiebreaker books count for those participating in 1st 2nd and 3rd place)

2) Most Books off by 1 grade

3) Most Books off by 2 grades

4) First Book in order listed to get Bullseye

5) Second Book in order listed to get Bullseye

On 5/4/2024 at 6:12 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'm going to give this to you guys for fun.  You can post grades in the thread.  I'll post the actual grade tomorrow night.   No PM's LOL  May the force be with you.

star wars heir to the empire #1 front.jpg

star wars heir to the empire #1 back.jpg

• Administrator

ROUND 4

Silver Surfer #10

Very small wear all edges

Very light, multiple crease full right front cover

X-men #87

Very small, very light spine stress lines

Wear left top front cover

Jungle Action #21

Light soiling back cover

Light spine stress lines break color

Bend right bottom back cover

Web Spidey #51

6 inch crease right top front cover breaks color

Y The Last Man #1

Spine stress lines left bottom front cover

Light wear full right back cover

9 points for me. 

Silver Surfer #10 - 7.0

X-Men #87 - 9.2

Jungle Action #21 - 9.0

Web of Spidey #51 - 6.0

Y: The Last Man # 9.4

Posted (edited)

My best round.

I had the X-Men and Jungle Action grades reversed. I thought the X-Men's top left corner was too severe for 9.6.

If there's one thing I'm consistently impressed with is how strong the graders are in this contest. I don't see our front runners missing the mark on these books, but stranger things have happened :)

Congrats to all and big shout out to Mike for hosting. Love these contests.

Edited by WilliamLunt

I think that's a very generous 6.5 given the length of that crease, other than that, well within the margin for error for my picks.

The cgc guide states in the 6.0 write up that 7 inch creases are allowable in 6.0. Doesn’t mention it above that. I thought 6.5 was generous

On 5/4/2024 at 5:12 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'm going to give this to you guys for fun.  You can post grades in the thread.  I'll post the actual grade tomorrow night.   No PM's LOL  May the force be with you.

star wars heir to the empire #1 front.jpg

star wars heir to the empire #1 back.jpg

On 5/4/2024 at 8:02 PM, Panda2 said:

Betting it was the crease on the Web book. I almost missed it and then had no idea how to grade it lol

You are not wrong.  That was a real poser - especially coming after the rusty staple book where the rusty staples and associated staining apparently weren't viewed as a "major" defect.  

I ultimately decided that large and visible a crease had to be a "major" defect and called it a 7.0

One off on two other books as well, for a total of:

giphy.gif