• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I buy comics as an investment...
2 2

56 posts in this topic

I always wanted a comic book shop while I was growing up thru the years . I made that dream be a possible thing when I bought my House back in Fall of 2017 as it came with a 350 sq ft business out in the front side of the house .Now mind you it was not about money for me just a comic book shop and achieved that a little less than 2 years ago with 2 spinner racks and displayed books ,table filled with books and yes everything was priced back at the time . Being out there helped me to be able to figure out listing on the Bay and being a little faster that way .always using every opportunity to better myself , what a ride !

On 4/28/2024 at 10:50 PM, Courageous Cat said:

As a gen X'er I can get behind this theory. I myself have drastically cut back on purchases and even sold off a good amount of books as of late. 

I've been getting more cautious with my purchases. My buying pattern over the next few years will probably amount to picking up three or four keepers every year and then some very inexpensive raw books just for fun. I think it's OK to spend money on a hobby—people whose hobby is travel spend money that they'll never get back on airfare and lodging, for instance—but I do think of it as money spent.

I don't know whether my buying will ever drop to zero, but my net buying will get close, meaning that if I spend money on comics, I'll sell other comics in order to help defray the costs. I'll probably keep my nicer comics and sell my "impulse buys" from the past 25 years .

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/28/2024 at 11:15 PM, JollyComics said:

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

On 4/28/2024 at 11:15 PM, JollyComics said:

I don't know how long it will last.

I read tons of comics as an almost infant in the early 70s. So that came first. After my first Overstreet I was hooked because old and new comics were everywhere and with a mostly keen eye I’ve been dollar cost averaging in and out for over 50 years. When they turn into tulips someday cest la vie.  They will be cheaper and maybe I’ll start reading them again. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 4/29/2024 at 11:45 AM, ThothAmon said:

Real comic men all sleep with their books. 

Personally the boxes are just on a drawer behind my bed, if I'm somnambulist without knowing it i probably have read more comics than i think... and it could maybe explain all these weird dreamslol

On 4/28/2024 at 11:01 AM, shadroch said:

Comics were a very important part of my investment portfolio.   You should invest in things you know and understand.  However, if your entire investment portfolio is in comic books and you are living in mom's basement, you might want to reconsider your strategy.

Whew!

Thank goodness, I live in the attic.

:smile:

On 4/28/2024 at 7:59 PM, davidking623 said:

I always wanted a comic book shop while I was growing up thru the years . I made that dream be a possible thing when I bought my House back in Fall of 2017 as it came with a 350 sq ft business out in the front side of the house .Now mind you it was not about money for me just a comic book shop and achieved that a little less than 2 years ago with 2 spinner racks and displayed books ,table filled with books and yes everything was priced back at the time . Being out there helped me to be able to figure out listing on the Bay and being a little faster that way .always using every opportunity to better myself , what a ride !

You should have lived in the 350 area and turned the house into a unique comic shop.

On 4/29/2024 at 2:19 PM, shadroch said:

You should have lived in the 350 area and turned the house into a unique comic shop.

Yeah a great idea and my wife and I discussed it ! We have a apartment above where we live so we could rent it out but my wife does not play into the renting out thing unfortunately and we could have lived out in the 350 square foot place and had no noise to deal with while sleeping but she was not a buyer of the idea and really I have a room a little over 250 sq ft filled with books on the Bay so I still would have needed that room for that , It now is getting close to soon to start listing the books out in the shop which has over 10,000 as the room is close to full with 40 longs on tables and a few on the floor. with a 4 foot rack . With the basement full of books and a couple rooms upstairs full and a half it probably was the best outcome for everything . I don't need to rent out the top for the inconvenience of more money when the wife does not want me to we talked about doing a bed and breakfast thing but I am 63 and am doing fine money wise . I love my wife but don't want to fight about renting out the top of our house . :takeit:

On 4/28/2024 at 8:50 PM, Courageous Cat said:

As a gen X'er I can get behind this theory. I myself have drastically cut back on purchases and even sold off a good amount of books as of late. 

Same here. Sold off my entire comic collection. Doing original art now, but even at that - far less spending on the hobby. I’m not one to say “the hobby is dead!” But between newer generations not having the same kind of connection with comics as I did and the constant underhanded problems with graded books, scams and outright theft: it was time to punt the collection.

On 4/30/2024 at 7:15 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

People invest poorly in all kinds of ways, what's new lol 

I think there is a common “investment” philosophy when you are younger and finances limit you to either: save money and not buy anything, or buy something and not save money.

Comic books (NASCAR die casts, Funkos, sports cards) all fall into that category where a collector can feel like they are buying something that will accrue value to be sold at a later date, which allows them to feel like their purchase is “savings”, in a way. That’s a massive financial trap people fall into - and who can blame them, really? We all need a diversion or escape from the grind.

I think the danger of overbuying comics that have “value” right now is damn near on par with the same philosophy back in the 90’s where people literally thought buying a stack of Youngblood #1s would pay for a year of college tuition five years later when they sold them. I think we’re there again.