• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live May 2024
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2024 at 3:39 PM, Grant Turner said:

Here’s my CAL pickup (arrived yesterday)

Nice little NOVA 20 page by Carmine Infantino and Dave Hunt!IMG_7376.thumb.jpeg.29212a29a46c5776a3b20360b1cb4de4.jpeg

Nice pickup! I loved Carmine's work on Nova. I thought he did a great job back then. He was such a talented artist. I know most people say his silver age art is better than his later art, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I loved this period for him and his Star Wars work is the best of the series.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:29 PM, Michael Browning said:

Nice pickup! I loved Carmine's work on Nova. I thought he did a great job back then. He was such a talented artist. I know most people say his silver age art is better than his later art, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I loved this period for him and his Star Wars work is the best of the series.

Thanks Michael!  And I think the Dave Hunt inks are sublime!

On 5/19/2024 at 8:21 PM, Grant Turner said:

Thanks Michael!  And I think the Dave Hunt inks are sublime!

Carmine was a friend for the last few years of his life and he told me he did all that work and his return to the Flash simply for the money and he hated comics after he was fired by DC when he was running the company.

I got one of my pickups two days ago, but only had time today to unpack and work out the overlay trade dressing. Glory #19 cover - oddly the original artwork is signed differently than what is attributed on the final cover. But it's an exact match, so it's not a repro or recreation - it's got a little mystery to it that I'll have to sort out. Got emails in to Richard Horie and Jon Sibal - who are both out of comics, so I'm not sure if I'll hear back. But kudos to Danny Morales, who ships practically immediately. My third or fourth purchase from him, always a great experience.

Glory19HighReswithOverlay.thumb.jpg.ecdd204bab397354a182d74d7e6021ab.jpgGlory19HighRes.thumb.jpg.1706006efbf9ed491308d328d634438b.jpg

Glory19PublishedWrongSigs.thumb.jpg.4be52cef0e1525a8038fa653897a2005.jpg

On 5/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I got one of my pickups two days ago, but only had time today to unpack and work out the overlay trade dressing. Glory #19 cover - oddly the original artwork is signed differently than what is attributed on the final cover. But it's an exact match, so it's not a repro or recreation - it's got a little mystery to it that I'll have to sort out. Got emails in to Richard Horie and Jon Sibal - who are both out of comics, so I'm not sure if I'll hear back. But kudos to Danny Morales, who ships practically immediately. My third or fourth purchase from him, always a great experience.

Glory19HighReswithOverlay.thumb.jpg.ecdd204bab397354a182d74d7e6021ab.jpgGlory19HighRes.thumb.jpg.1706006efbf9ed491308d328d634438b.jpg

Speaking with a bit of ignorance here, but aren’t there “Benes Studio” artists and then Benes who takes all the credit?

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 6:47 AM, John E. said:

Speaking with a bit of ignorance here, but aren’t there “Benes Studio” artists and then Benes who takes all the credit?

On 5/20/2024 at 9:20 AM, Michael Browning said:

I wondered the exact same thing.

You might be thinking of Mike Deodato's "Deodato Studios" which Benes and a bunch of other Brazilian artists were all part of back in those days, and a lot of times if someone from his studio worked on something the book credits would say "Deodato Studios" instead of the actual artist, and there were a few times where the book credits would just say Mike Deodato even if it was someone else from the studio. There's been multiple interviews you can search online on that subject

Benes Studio didn't start until the late 2000s (2009-2010ish), and most of them didn't/don't really do any published work, they just sell pin-ups on ebay and take commissions

edit: and just to be super clear, neither of them, as best I know, steal credit for the work the artists in their studio do. Even with the incidents that happened with Deodato Studios in the 90s, according to the interviews (been a while since I'd read them) Deodato never controlled how publishers would write the credits, it was more a confusion on their part/Marvel and other publishers not knowing who the specific artists were since they would hire "Deodato Studios" as an entity and not know exactly who within was given the assignment. Similar to how a lot of color work for Image, DC, and Marvel in the 90s were credited to "Wildstorm FX Studios"

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/19/2024 at 11:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

If it helps, I would probably believe that R.Horie was the actual cover artist for this and Maximum Press just slapped Benes's signature on it. They were known for mislabeling covers like this. The cover to Glory #8 is known to be drawn by Ed Benes even though Maximum Press put Deodato's signature for the printed cover

On 5/20/2024 at 1:21 PM, JC25427N said:

If it helps, I would probably believe that R.Horie was the actual cover artist for this and Maximum Press just slapped Benes's signature on it. They were known for mislabeling covers like this. The cover to Glory #8 is known to be drawn by Ed Benes even though Maximum Press put Deodato's signature for the printed cover

That's a HUGE help - I kind of surmised as much, as the dealer I bought it from got it from Richard Horie himself. It's just good to get some other input to help confirm (as much as we can) what likely happened - I appreciate it!

On 5/21/2024 at 7:48 PM, mtlevy1 said:

I saw this one but wasn't a key word for me so it was already gone, nice pickup!

Funny you mention this… I was talking to a buddy about this sorta. That we are getting to reliant on key words and miss stuff we would like because we don’t dig anymore . 

key words are nice but not everything hits them 

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, cstojano said:

I sold my first piece during a CAL and was happy to only book a 1k loss!

And I knew I spoke too soon. Purchaser unhappy with the art and wants his money back. Anyone looking for Blade Runner pages by Williamson? Does this matter to Bill Cox enough to report it to him to adjust his figures?

Edited by cstojano

On 5/22/2024 at 11:09 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Funny you mention this… I was talking to a buddy about this sorta. That we are getting to reliant on key words and miss stuff we would like because we don’t dig anymore . 

Ordinarily, I don’t have that problem. But sometimes, out of curiosity, I try “Phantom” instead of “Phantom Stranger”. Sure enough, a search popped up “Phantom Strangler”. Bought it, too.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:09 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

After the key words I go through every piece but yours was sold by the time I go there!