• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,703 posts in this topic

@greggy :hi:

Have you read through this thread? Curious to know what you think and estimated percentage of your submitted books that have been affected.

Important to note most were not aware of the issue until reading about it here. I for one had not previously looked at books through side of slabs. When I did found 100% of my regular thickness sized Comics slabbed in 2024 are affected.

Edited by MAR1979

I literally was getting several orders of 25 books each ready, to send in this week. I'm awaiting one order to come back Monday. I will scrutinize the wells to see if I notice anything. I think I'm going to hold off a bit and wait for the new start up to see what they have to offer in 2025. Uggg...I want these books graded, badly. 

On 7/31/2024 at 12:46 PM, DaveSFU said:

Good news everyone.  This no longer is considered damage and will get you a 9.8

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

Lower the standards for a 9.8 and 9.9s start flying free. hm

On 7/31/2024 at 12:46 PM, DaveSFU said:

Good news everyone.  This no longer is considered damage and will get you a 9.8

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

That book looks like a 8.0 that I would instantly pass over

I had hoped for a better response from CGC, but sadly expected the one you got.

Newport Beach is coming! 

Edited by MAR1979

From the last ten book submissions they all have come back with a curved inner well.  
This is Uncanny X-Men 171 CPV and you can see the book curve up at the top and bottom when you view from the side.

Whatever new technology plastic CGC are using is not working.  None of the ten books lie flat in the case and all curl at the top and bottom.

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

Edited by TK2

On 7/31/2024 at 11:41 AM, DaveSFU said:

According to CGC my books aren’t damaged at all and the inner wells aren’t bent and look perfectly acceptable.  So I guess damaged spines are ok now for 9.8 books. 

So when they pulled them back from shipping, they weren’t doing anything additional to look at them?  

On 7/31/2024 at 2:02 PM, Tnexus said:

Recent Marvels?

Yep. Still waiting to see what happens with them - one was fine, the other had visible spine stress... tbf, neither are particularly high dollar value, so I'm not too invested, but would like for CGC to figure out why the books are being bent, and fix it.

None of my other slabs have this issue, and I find having the grading criteria that the book lie flat, but then be considered 'not damaged' in a curved encapsulation makes absolutely zero sense ???

I'm also annoyed that some of my recent submissions have been knocked down because of invisible-to-the-eye 'fiber breaking' creases - but somehow fibers aren't being broken on a book encased in a curve...? I may be gullible, but I'm not that gullible.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:13 PM, MadGenius said:

Thanks. In your opinion, do the grades on the label match the books? My fear is CGC will continue to deny this is even a problem 

That is exactly what has occurred.  Ostrich method may have worked in past but the approaching Newport Beach/Santa Ana faction may very well represent a seismic paradigm shift.

On 7/31/2024 at 4:37 PM, MAR1979 said:

That is exactly what has occurred.  Ostrich method may have worked in past but the approaching Newport Beach/Santa Ana faction may very well represent a seismic paradigm shift.

I know exactly what you're talking about..

Just checked my December 8th 2023 grade date submission. Only have 4 of the original 8 left, but 3 9.8$ are showing a crease. (The 4th is a 7.5 so a little harder to tell.) Two of those creases are right where the inner well is bowing upwards in the slab. Interestingly I don't have althe smile bend, it's only on side for all three. All are Marvel from 2014/2015. First four digits of the certs are 4362.

I also unrelated cracked another from this submission and send it to me repressed because I noticed bend creases. (Before this thread.) That case was sealed tight.

I'm gonna be pulling my next submission currently at my presser. CGC is absolutely damaging comics

On 7/31/2024 at 2:13 PM, Ninja0215 said:

My last submission came back fine (thank god) but im worried about the one I have there still. 

Came back fine how? Not causing spine damage fine? Or not bent at all fine? Because the vast majority aren't bent enough to cause spine ticks but also, ALL of the ones I've seen so far are bent at least a little except for squarebounds which (and this is just my guess) are too thick to bend.