• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,700 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2024 at 4:40 PM, joeypost said:

I don’t think it’s a poor idea,  but I simply don’t have the bandwidth to provide such a service, and if I did it would have to track financially with what I could make if I devoted that same amount of time to pressing books. 

As most of you know I am always happy to help a fellow collector out as long as it doesn’t adversely affect me day to day business dealings. 

Thanks for the professional and on the level response...

Please do let us know if you start receiving back books with the issues mentioned in this thread.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/6/2024 at 10:09 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Has anyone removed the outer case from one of these warped examples?

Curious to know if the inner well stays warped...or it it flattens out like it's supposed to be?

So.....nobody has cracked a book that had the inner well warping?  

Seems like that could at least tell people if the inner well itself is warped, or if the hard out case is causing the inner well to warp.

On 8/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, kimik said:

It was happening in 2022 as well.

Extending my date for purchasing, unless viewed in hand first, back to Dec 2021 or earlier graded books.

I do expect when I receive my affected books back from CGC to be sickened that they are still concave or worse...

My next overall is to simply drop graded Comics and go full-time buying SGC and PSA slabbed Trading Cards instead. Unless somehow Newport Beach's Comics effort becomes an unlikely success.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/9/2024 at 3:51 PM, wiparker824 said:

If the bend in the inner well is “normal” can I request they just give me a curved hard case as well? Why have a straight flat case with a curved inner well inside? Better yet make the case completely foldable. I’d like to fit the slab in my pocket for convenience. 

Hmm you're definitely on to something hm

You might need bigger pockets though, like wearing overalls to carry your folded CGC graded books :idea:

On 8/9/2024 at 6:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

So.....nobody has cracked a book that had the inner well warping?

If you did that, you'd likely then have no recourse with CGC to fix the problem.

Well, not that I think the overlords at CGC are basing any of their decisions on posts from these forums, but I have this stack of books I was seriously thinking about sending in, and now I'm all like, guess I need to just wait and see for a bit.... 

On 8/8/2024 at 11:25 AM, LordRahl said:

I can't think of any reason why there would be a difference in the process of slabbing a pre and post 1975 book. I'm fairly sure, 99.9% sure, that it's not the process. So that leaves the materials. I don't know why they would be using different wells but the likelihood of that is far greater than the process of slabbing differing.

Maybe it is the person doing it, not the process or materials? Human error seems like a logical probability to cover how long it has been happening (including pre reholder scandal), types of books and above all, that it isn't happening to every book, just some. Sounds human. Which is no excuse, but is fairly easily fixed.

On 8/10/2024 at 3:44 PM, Axelrod said:

Well, not that I think the overlords at CGC are basing any of their decisions on posts from these forums, but I have this stack of books I was seriously thinking about sending in, and now I'm all like, guess I need to just wait and see for a bit.... 

Axelrod, If you want them pressed by the best, not to mention the most professional, plus evade inner well issues send them to Joey for pressing + submission.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2024 at 12:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

Extending my date for purchasing, unless viewed in hand first, back to Dec 2021 or earlier graded books.

I do expect when I receive my affected books back from CGC to be sickened that they are still concave or worse...

My next overall is to simply drop graded Comics and go full-time buying SGC and PSA slabbed Trading Cards instead. Unless somehow Newport Beach's Comics effort becomes an unlikely success.

So, you are not buying any CGC slabs from 2022 forward? I kind of agree with that, especially for modern and very high-grade books. (Mid-grade golden age, probably isn't as affected by a little stress, which is still no excuse.) I just looked at several books on Heritage's weekly auction and when I saw that they were recently slabbed, I didn't even bother tracking them. Why take the risk?   

On 8/10/2024 at 1:35 PM, Yorick said:

If you did that, you'd likely then have no recourse with CGC to fix the problem.

1)  Problem?  Haven't you heard?  The warping is normal.

2)  It sounds like their "fix" is that they reholder them with the same normal warping.

I was just thinking someone might have a book not worth the trouble to send back in.....or possibly one they don't want to subject to another round of torture, and don't want to store it with a bend down a large portion of the spine.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 8/6/2024 at 3:14 AM, Stefan_W said:

That type of thing can be found in some holders even a few years back. 

Expanding the inner area of the case would be a massive undertaking that would take months to go through a re-design, manufacturing, and testing process. 

"Testing?? We don't have that policy here."

Edited by Steven Valdez