• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2024 at 6:54 PM, MAY1979 said:

IMHO Far more plausible if vice-versa.  Meaning 1 or 2 "good modern stations" with all others bad.

I think there was some data a few years ago that CGC was slabbing several thousand books a day.

It could very well be that several stations are mis-calibrated.

-bc

On 8/31/2024 at 5:07 PM, Poutine said:

Be amusing if they aren't missing, but stolen and resold.

That wouldn't ever happen, would it.

100% unforgivable and continued business with them makes an enabler

This actually came up in our conversation as well. He was the one who brought it up. He and others like him, the people that are out investing in six-figure collections and employing a lot of people and making their livelihood off this aren't in a position to just outright stop using them, which is of course the catch 22. It's people relying on them and their reputation for so long that is allowed them to become complacent and deliver a shoddy product and the only way out is to put a serious dent in your own business and reputation. Because if you just completely stop and say you're going to go with somebody else, it makes all your customers call into question everything they bought from you recently. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't. He did speak about transitioning services but I don't want to go into that because they don't seem to like hearing about that here.

On 8/31/2024 at 6:56 PM, lollyclown said:

If they are missing something being improperly calibrated for this many months, that's even worse. Machines of this sort should have basic calibration tests done on them on a routine basis.

+1

-bc

On 8/31/2024 at 5:19 PM, lollyclown said:

I'm just really curious what would happen if say, the book that I had signed got sent back in to get a signature added to it, and now that it has seven spine ticks, am I going to get a grade drop because of damage they caused or will they honor that original grade because the damage that's now on the book is due to their /gestures broadly/

I'm guessing that they will simply regrade it blind and give it whatever that grader thinks it should be as it is presented at that time (which is what they are supposed to do, by the way), and that means without regard to how or when those flaws came to be (including how or whether CGC's slabs are the cause). Minthunter did a video on resubmission grade drops and how common grade dops now are. I think he links at least partially to stricter grading after reholder-gate, but I cannot recall if he also links it to bend-gate (so many "gates" in so little time), but the timing cannot be ignored, can it? One thing you can consider is having CGC/CCS press it after the new signature. If the book is handled safely, then this might clean up the new bends (but not color breaks) and give the book its best chance at holding its original grade (at least until/if the new holder does it in, again).  

I am just asking (or has this already been asked?), because, well, this is a discussion forum: If someone recently paid a few hundred $$ for a Premium or Elite Membership with the expectation of submitting enough books for grading to make those fees worthwhile, but now is holding off on submitting because the books are coming back bent and seemingly damaged by the CGC slab/process, well, then what?  The easier answers seem to be: (i) you're out of luck, chump, and you just lost some money, or (ii) when CGC finally addresses this issue in a fair and forthright manner including, above all, fixing the problem (!), it will honorably give everyone a, say, 6-month or 9-month or 1-year membership add-on/benefits (as opposed to making us re-up with more cash for no fault of our own).  Are there other possible answers? Is this issue too small to matter? I suppose in the grand scheme of things, getting all my already bent 43 and 44 slabs fixed would be more important than the membership issue, but the membership issue is a real thing, right? It is paid for with a certain reasonable expectation, which expectation is being denied shattered by no fault of the customer. Just asking.

On 8/31/2024 at 9:42 PM, Stuk said:

I am just asking (or has this already been asked?), because, well, this is a discussion forum: If someone recently paid a few hundred $$ for a Premium or Elite Membership with the expectation of submitting enough books for grading to make those fees worthwhile, but now is holding off on submitting because the books are coming back bent and seemingly damaged by the CGC slab/process, well, then what?  The easier answers seem to be: (i) you're out of luck, chump, and you just lost some money, or (ii) when CGC finally addresses this issue in a fair and forthright manner including, above all, fixing the problem (!), it will honorably give everyone a, say, 6-month or 9-month or 1-year membership add-on/benefits (as opposed to making us re-up with more cash for no fault of our own).  Are there other possible answers? Is this issue too small to matter? I suppose in the grand scheme of things, getting all my already bent 43 and 44 slabs fixed would be more important than the membership issue, but the membership issue is a real thing, right? It is paid for with a certain reasonable expectation, which expectation is being denied shattered by no fault of the customer. Just asking.

Only avenue is a Credit Card Chargeback dispute however odds are very low on a Membership situation.

I too am in that boat and will use my membership credit from last Dec on a Video Game sub.

On 8/31/2024 at 9:42 PM, Stuk said:

I just renewed at the end of July, before getting caught up on what's going on. I won't be submitting until I feel the problem has been resolved. Or I'll burn my credit next July to take a chance on a few books that don't have a high value and aren't for the PC.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:18 PM, Stuk said:

I'm guessing that they will simply regrade it blind and give it whatever that grader thinks it should be as it is presented at that time (which is what they are supposed to do, by the way), and that means without regard to how or when those flaws came to be (including how or whether CGC's slabs are the cause). Minthunter did a video on resubmission grade drops and how common grade dops now are. I think he links at least partially to stricter grading after reholder-gate, but I cannot recall if he also links it to bend-gate (so many "gates" in so little time), but the timing cannot be ignored, can it? One thing you can consider is having CGC/CCS press it after the new signature. If the book is handled safely, then this might clean up the new bends (but not color breaks) and give the book its best chance at holding its original grade (at least until/if the new holder does it in, again).  

I think the best solution to the problem is not submitting to them. After my experiences with the signature series, three massive problems back to back, I'm never submitting anything to that again and I decided that prior to hearing about this issue. But not with this issue I realize it impacted yet another signature series book that I had done so in this past year I am four for four screw ups on books I sent for for sightings.

You are most likely absolutely correct that they will blind grade and give you a grade drop and not acknowledge they caused it in the first place. This whole post is a perfect example of it. This post originally began in May and here we are at the start of September and zero acknowledgment from them about it. 

Maybe if I start sending in 40 years old books like Giant Size X-Men to sell through auction sites they have ties to I can get a magical 9.9.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:27 PM, lollyclown said:

Wonder what's going to happen when the person who owns that 9.9 giant size X-Men starts noticing that the comic is bent and that it developed spine ticks. I bet they'd have to address it then.

Pretty sure that if book was cracked out now and resubmitted it would be a 9.6. Then if cracked out and resubmitted again a 9.4 or 9.2

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, MAY1979 said:

Pretty sure that if book was cracked out now and resubmitted it would be a 9.6. Then if cracked out and resubmitted again a 9.4 or 9.2

Has there ever been anyone that's not a CGC employee who has adamantly argued that that book is genuinely a 9.9? I have seen so many random youtube videos and posts on Reddit and Facebook and blah blah blah and literally nobody believes that book is a 9.9.

There were video clips of it at the convention that it was on display at, people got to hold it up close and personal and pointed out flaws. Such a joke.

On 9/1/2024 at 6:31 AM, lollyclown said:

Maybe if I start sending in 40 years old books like Giant Size X-Men to sell through auction sites they have ties to I can get a magical 9.9.

Surprisingly that book is almost 50 years old now ,50 coming soon .

On 9/1/2024 at 9:43 PM, davidking623 said:

Surprisingly that book is almost 50 years old now ,50 coming soon .

Last show I did a person came up to me and started talking, and the topic turned to graded comics. He complained bitterly and scoffed at how CGC refers to pre-1975 books as Vintage. I did the mental math with him and pointed out that it is actually 50 years+ which seems pretty vintage to me. He seemed legitimately shocked, hahahaha. I've been there too - some music that came out in the 90s is now classic rock, and I can never get used to that idea.