• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,700 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2024 at 5:31 PM, MAY1979 said:

my re-holder returned today:

In terms of banana bending:

1 is somewhat better than before but still not acceptable.
3 are exactly the same

2 now have multiple spine ticks that were not there when I sent them back in July. Neither is still a 9.8 as it says on the label. 1 of the ticks is 1/4" in length.

With this sickening fiasco my CGC submission era (2000-2024) has ended.  Of course they don't care they make that obvious, but I'm never submitting a Comic or Magazine to CGC again.

I also will no longer purchase ANY 3rd gen slab. Between Newton's rings, Shaken Comic Syndrome, and Banana Bending its Simply Not Safe to do so unless at a cons. But I'm not going to shell out Con prices because CGC doesn't know how to perform their most basic service.

With my near 25 years of submitting to CGC having come to a permanent end, I'm now singing:

image.thumb.png.7629dc21f7123f581849bd96319bf33a.png

I’m sorry, that really sucks.

I put my book on eBay, and I made it clear in the description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/315723708499?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Nss0N0HSQV2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Nss0N0HSQV2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 9/3/2024 at 8:49 PM, MAY1979 said:

The issue on pre 1975 seem to be the exception not the rule.

Still "are you feeling lucky" is what you need to determine.

BTW: Soon there will be slabs from the US Pacific coast that have UV Protection. Imagine being able to display SA or GA book for week or two in your home without fear of light damage.  I can't wait!

I still don't understand why a high quality scan and color print isn't sufficient (shrug)

-bc

BTW: Soon there will be slabs from the US Pacific coast that have UV Protection. Imagine being able to display SA or GA book for week or two in your home without fear of light damage.  I can't wait!

image.jpeg.3972875302fc7afba4fcc8a4a05cab91.jpeg

I am still holding out some small hope that the books on their way back to me were paused during encapsulation because they figured out how to fix the issue. While UV protection would be pretty amazing, I was hoping to hold off going in that direction for a couple of years while they iron out their own kinks. Expect a lot of inconsistent grading, etc, at the start. 

On 9/3/2024 at 9:44 PM, Stefan_W said:

I am still holding out some small hope that the books on their way back to me were paused during encapsulation because they figured out how to fix the issue. While UV protection would be pretty amazing, I was hoping to hold off going in that direction for a couple of years while they iron out their own kinks. Expect a lot of inconsistent grading, etc, at the start. 

As a submitter if the book is returned to me in the EXACT same condition as when I sent it in, I do not care if grading is not totally accurate.  As buyer of course but I buyer the book not the label. The additional wait like mine appears to be due to volume or volume of vacations. 

Hope your luck holds out and your books have no new color breaking ticks when they come back

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/2/2024 at 10:39 PM, MAY1979 said:

Damaging the Comics "fixed" newtons rings. Prolly means to fix the Slabs Damaging Comics issue after grading they'll simply incinerate the Comics and return the ashes inside the 9.8 slabs. Thus no more complaints about Banana Bends. Followed by the CS statement of "Burning the Comics to Ashes is Normal"

Where did you get this conclusion from?

On 9/2/2024 at 11:06 PM, mikenyc said:

Blackstone took a minority position in CCG in 2021. There were multiple investors who participated and have ownership as well.  They refer to CCG as a Blackstone portfolio company, to benefit from the halo, but I am almost 100%, let’s call it 96.84%, certain that the corporate executives being referenced in prior posts are not having their bonuses hang in the balance of CCG performance. 
Blackstone manages over a trillion dollars worth of assets and their annual revenue is in the 10 billion dollar range. As a percentage of that revenue, CGC, which is a certain percentage of CCG revenue, is small. 

When a company is small and privately owned, the success of that company is the main motivator for those in charge. Customer service is usually paramount to most other concerns. The connection of managers and executives to the actual consumers is much closer and therefore they are usually able to act much quicker when a problem arises. As a company scales or if they are acquired, there are more levels between the decision makers and the consumer.

As collectors there is a regard that we hold those who help facilitate our collecting and believe they should be held to a higher standard because they are dealing with the collectibles that we place a high value on. But, they are just corporations trying to maximize revenue. We deserve to have the product or service we pay for function in the manner that is expected. Sometimes that isn’t the case. Sometimes it is the case, but not every time. It is a bigger problem for the consumer not the company in this situation. 

Someone brought up the Fight Club used analogy of recall vs. settlements. Although much less dramatic in this instance, there is truth to that calculation that companies will use. In this circumstance there will most likely not be a quick resolution. There will not be enough backlash to force their hands and they will quietly fix the warping issue over time. The squeaky wheels will be compensated or have their books reholdered and the rest will either willfully or innocently ignore the problem. 

The merry-go-round will continue spinning and the consumer will hold on and hope they don’t fall and break an ankle. 

2c

I wonder if the people who complained about CGC pre Blackstone still have the same complaints. 

On 9/3/2024 at 8:58 PM, bc said:

I still don't understand why a high quality scan and color print isn't sufficient (shrug)

Come on. 

Authenticity. 

On 9/3/2024 at 10:20 PM, VintageComics said:

Where did you get this conclusion from?

*ahem*

On 8/23/2024 at 4:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

46 pages of discussion and not one person so far has mentioned how the bend in the inner well completely resolved the Newton ring issue.

Talk about negative Nellies. 

On 9/3/2024 at 10:46 PM, VintageComics said:

Is this conclusive? Or just anecdotal?

It was meant to be funny. 

But to answer your question, the bend in the well does not allow much plastic on plastic contact that is the cause of Newton rings. This does not mean the bend was put there to deal with it (Newton rings have been an issue for many years), it just happens to do that. 

On 9/3/2024 at 10:05 PM, Stefan_W said:

It was meant to be funny. 

But to answer your question, the bend in the well does not allow much plastic on plastic contact that is the cause of Newton rings. This does not mean the bend was put there to deal with it (Newton rings have been an issue for many years), it just happens to do that. 

Ya lol it's funny because it is true, in observation,  beyond that who knows if cgc was "trying" but again that in no way minimizes the defect, but a sobering chuckle for sure.

Two vintage (GA) back today--flat as they should be! I don't have any pending, but if -- IF -- the moderns start coming back like this, then half the problem would be solved (the other half being the thousands of books already slabbed with bowing). 

Edited by Stuk

On 9/4/2024 at 1:12 PM, Iconic1s said:

Well shoot!  All is forgiven!  Glad to see CGC is focusing their energy on the things that REALLY make a difference!

IMG_8080.thumb.jpeg.3e44a949a8f5587366fc1c62b120119a.jpegIMG_8081.thumb.jpeg.5cd602259e0b71d1d5d1a0595e7c1ef0.jpeg

P.S.  What in the world in DSTRLY and when did their logo become “iconic?”  I’m so confused!

I wonder if these will also include the new “acceptable to a certain degree” warped inner well… color breaking bends included for FREE also!

Your username is more iconic than that logo.

On 9/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, BraveDave said:

Received back my books processed in August. No issues, all look good. Bronze and Silver Age books only, no moderns. Multiple tiers. Not sure if this means the issues were addressed but wanted to update with my experience.

So all pre-1975?