• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,698 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2024 at 5:43 PM, Ninja0215 said:

So, still not safe to send books to cgc...got it. Lol 

Yeah.  It’s concerning that 3 people have asked if anyone has gotten back books this week or last that weren’t bent and no one can validate CGCs claim of fixing it.  Hopefully someone can chime in soon with news of a recent modern received back flat.

On 9/17/2024 at 8:45 PM, Calm-Mix said:

Pictures please!!

Curved books just like what have already been posted. A couple flat a couple curved up and all the rest curved down. No support inserts in any of the inner wells. 

On 9/17/2024 at 6:55 PM, Timmay said:

Curved books just like what have already been posted. A couple flat a couple curved up and all the rest curved down. No support inserts in any of the inner wells. 

This is new. Can you post a pic? All the ones I've seen curve up on both the top and bottom, haven't seen one curve down yet.

Second hand info since it is not my submission, so take it for what it is worth.

Just had a guy comment on one of my videos that he just got an order back from CGC and all of the inner wells are straight. He said that there are no braces on the books which leads me to believe they may have switched to using cases with less room that allows less bend and movement, but I cant confirm and crack one to check this. 

He's commented on my videos before and seems thoughtful, and there is no reason for him to lie, so I believe him. Hopefully submissions are like this going forward. 

no damage comment.jpg

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/17/2024 at 10:55 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

Looks like this belongs here:

Good. I hope more people put their money where their mouth is because that's the only way they will actually listen. I'm not people like me who hadn't spent very much. The people who send in 25 to 50 to 100 or more books at a pop need to cease submitting at least for a while. Put a bunch more of "other labels" on the market. Seeing a shift in who is used is what can tip momentum. On the subreddit for comic book grading there been several people who have never submitted before to cgc who are not going to. Which I think is awesome given the state of things, but those are customers that have never spent so that won't get any attention. But still it's a little less money than they would have gotten and a permanent customer that they may have made.

On 9/17/2024 at 11:48 PM, LordRahl said:

This is new. Can you post a pic? All the ones I've seen curve up on both the top and bottom, haven't seen one curve down yet.

Hard to capture on film but looks like all the other bananas just upside down.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:20 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

The old CGC would have owned up to their mistake and provided free re-holdering for curved books. 

How many curved books do you think are out there? 100,000? given that number about 20% would be re-holdered. 20k x ~$10 (or less) = $200,000. Seems cheap to save your companies reputation as the best. 

Or they're trying to save pennies because they just paid out 10 million because their lead grader, you know, the guy who is supposed to set the standard within the company which literally impacts the aftermarket, is so lacking in knowledge his mind couldn't comprehend how a professional restoration company who was a major client made books look so good, so he gave them grade drops and talked s*** about them publicly.

They seemed shocked when the old defense of "hIs viEWs dOnUT raFLaCT tHe cUMpiNNeE" didn't work.

So I'm guessing they aren't going to be in the habit of paying out anything soon unless, some good citizen decided to begin a class action suit against them. 

Oh wait...the insufficiently_thoughtful_person is still employed there! They could toss him and probably save a couple hundred grand in a year AND show the public that they don't tolerate that sort of . 

Being serious I can't believe that guy is still employed there. I can't believe he never just asked that company if he could come and watch their process. Just because he didn't understand to do it it obviously was something crazy trickery voodoo!

On 9/18/2024 at 3:20 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

The old CGC would have owned up to their mistake and provided free re-holdering for curved books. 

You know what, this is why I felt safe sending my books there in the first place.  I've never graded books before in my life, not before this last year.  But I watch a lot of comic book YouTube channels and almost always I saw that when people made a video about damaged books, they also said that CGC ended up making it right by paying them for the damages or buying them a new book of the same grade.  So I felt that even though there's always a risk with sending books out to someone else to handle, grade, and ship back and forth, I wasnt worried.  That carried on to when I submitted and didnt feel the need to take "before" photos, and didnt inspect that closely when they came back.

So this is kind of my first and only experience with this company, and I certainly cant say much good about them since they just kind of screwed me by ignoring my claims that they damaged my books and then gaslighted me by saying that the bends are "acceptable" and my 1/4" color-breaking bend is ok in a 9.8.  

On 9/18/2024 at 4:42 PM, 0r0d said:

You know what, this is why I felt safe sending my books there in the first place.  I've never graded books before in my life, not before this last year.  But I watch a lot of comic book YouTube channels and almost always I saw that when people made a video about damaged books, they also said that CGC ended up making it right by paying them for the damages or buying them a new book of the same grade.  So I felt that even though there's always a risk with sending books out to someone else to handle, grade, and ship back and forth, I wasnt worried.  That carried on to when I submitted and didnt feel the need to take "before" photos, and didnt inspect that closely when they came back.

So this is kind of my first and only experience with this company, and I certainly cant say much good about them since they just kind of screwed me by ignoring my claims that they damaged my books and then gaslighted me by saying that the bends are "acceptable" and my 1/4" color-breaking bend is ok in a 9.8.  

I've had two major issues with them over 20 years (one fairly recently) and both times they provided a good resolution.  I think the scope of this one is concerning to them.

On 9/18/2024 at 6:20 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

But its more than that. Its not just reholdering. People are claiming damage. That greatly increases the cost. 

On 9/18/2024 at 5:30 PM, wombat said:

But its more than that. Its not just reholdering. People are claiming damage. That greatly increases the cost. 

True. They should fix any damage. Seems like free reholdering is as far as they would go, if that.

On 9/18/2024 at 6:50 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I've had two major issues with them over 20 years (one fairly recently) and both times they provided a good resolution.  I think the scope of this one is concerning to them.

I had three major issues with them in the course of 6 months and my treatment by them was absolutely terrible. One of these days when I'm bored I'll post the entire email chains for each incident, especially the ones involving a senior director who not only didn't help me but lectured me for being "kind of harsh".

I'd heard people say that when they had problems they would make things right etc but that was absolutely not my situation, not by a long shot. The sucky thing is I still have a book sitting with them for a signature series, still sitting in the same arrived at CCS state, meanwhile other people are getting their books back. I am assuming I'm probably not going to see that book back anytime soon.

How is this still happening? Totally unacceptable. 😡 Just got the shipping notification for 2 books today. Checked the scans and sure enough two nice dents center spine. I took so much care in shipping my books 😪 and for what? The statement that this doesn't damage the book and thus affect resale value is insulting. 

RDT_20240918_2024518003087033120065487.jpg

Screenshot_20240918_201531_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jibber82