• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

CGC CUstomer Service is giving me a headache... 

First (on 9/22) they tell me: 
"We have found that our next-largest well size does not exhibit this slight curve and have started to use that well in lieu of our smallest size."

So I say "Cool. So if I resubmit, for a reholder, you will use the next largest size well, that doesn't have the curve?"

To which they say:  
If the submission is submitted again I would not be able to promise they will use the new holders.

So they are using the next largest size well holders, even though the curved problem holders arent a problem (then why change?), BUT they cant say they'll use those holders if I resubmit, even though they're using those holders?!?!?

@CGC Mike these guys are killing us, and making your life harder in this thread... So what is it? Is CGC now using the next to smallest well instead of the smallest well? Or are they still using the smallest well? And why cant Customer Service say for certain that a reholder wont end up in the same smallest well slab with the non-problematic curve?   

On 9/25/2024 at 1:38 PM, miraclemet said:

"We have found that our next-largest well size does not exhibit this slight curve and have started to use that well in lieu of our smallest size."

So I say "Cool. So if I resubmit, for a reholder, you will use the next largest size well, that doesn't have the curve?"

To which they say:  
If the submission is submitted again I would not be able to promise they will use the new holders.

So they are using the next largest size well holders, even though the curved problem holders arent a problem (then why change?), BUT they cant say they'll use those holders if I resubmit, even though they're using those holders?!?!?

@CGC Mike these guys are killing us, and making your life harder in this thread... So what is it? Is CGC now using the next to smallest well instead of the smallest well? Or are they still using the smallest well? And why cant Customer Service say for certain that a reholder wont end up in the same smallest well slab with the non-problematic curve?   

I suspect that this confusing exchange is because the curve doesn't have much to do with the size of the well at all, but rather some kind of problem with the encapsulation process (seals too tight? inexperienced encapsulators? lack of QC?), but I'm interested to hear CGC's response.

On 9/25/2024 at 2:52 PM, MadGenius said:

I suspect that this confusing exchange is because the curve doesn't have much to do with the size of the well at all, but rather some kind of problem with the encapsulation process (seals too tight? inexperienced encapsulators? lack of QC?), but I'm interested to hear CGC's response.

they seemed to think that where ever the problem lay, it was less likely (or not going) to occur with the larger/deeper wells, so even if the problem wasnt the actual material but the process, if you knew your deeper wells "solved" the problem (either by material or by the material as affected by the process) why wouldnt you just use the deeper wells for the time being? And why would you continue to use the shallow wells that seems to make the problem continue to crop up? 

On 9/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, SpineTic said:

From ask cgc this morning. 

Screenshot_20240925_082333_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1ea08e6b071bd319b518768da5cfb923.jpgScreenshot_20240925_082352_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dc55e8ba74e46af53c85c0fa31ad0a2a.jpg

This was my question they responded to. I have a feeling this is not the last we’ll hear about this (just a hunch!)

I’m disappointed but also now faced with the decision to pop it open and lose the signature series but prevent potential further damage. If it was a blue label it would be an easy decision. I’ve got a few other SS books being graded right now so I’m hoping they figure it out. 

It was a cool experience to meet JR Jr either way!

Latest from customer service:

I had asked about reholdering and how to request the deeper, uncurved wells. 

Thank you for contacting us back. After reaching out to our internal teams regarding Reholdering the submission. CGC released information today, stating they will be able to replace everything when Reholdering including the inner well. We will be using the new inner-well for the Reholdered submissions and there is no need to request the new well. CGC is using the new well for every Reholder service moving forward. I can assure you the old well is going to be replaced with the new wells if you decide to send the comics back for Reholder. For submitting the comics you would select the Reholder service with the "unlimited value" for a 3 business day turnaround time.

I recently won an X-Men 100 CGC 9.6 with white pages [Cert #4422397001] from Comiclink. Really good looking copy. When I received it, it absolutely has the bend. However, there's no damage to the book. I'm not going to send in for a reholder as the risk of the book getting damaged just isn't worth it. I don't plan on selling it, but if I did, I'd have no problem selling it as is. I don't consider the book damaged. 10yrs from now, nobody will look at my book and even think twice to check the profile. I'm sure I have other books that aren't perfectly flat, but they're mounted on the wall so can't really tell.

On 9/25/2024 at 7:41 PM, Homeboy32 said:

I recently won an X-Men 100 CGC 9.6 with white pages [Cert #4422397001] from Comiclink. Really good looking copy. When I received it, it absolutely has the bend. However, there's no damage to the book. I'm not going to send in for a reholder as the risk of the book getting damaged just isn't worth it. I don't plan on selling it, but if I did, I'd have no problem selling it as is. I don't consider the book damaged. 10yrs from now, nobody will look at my book and even think twice to check the profile. I'm sure I have other books that aren't perfectly flat, but they're mounted on the wall so can't really tell.

I have a few books like this as well. I dont believe they are as common as the ones that look unpressed, but there are a bunch out there. 

• Administrator

Every reholder gets a completely new inner and outer well.  I promise.

For reference, here's the book. Would I send it in to get it flattened? Sure. But there's no guarantee that the book will come back perfectly flat. Again, I never once thought to look at the profile of a book before buying; Looking at different angles, different views? Sure, but not never on its side. Book is a 9.6 hands down.

IMG_7848.jpg

To which they say:  

They can't promise they won't use the cases they previously promised they weren't using any more. What's the confusing part?

On 9/25/2024 at 6:32 PM, miraclemet said:

Latest from customer service:

I had asked about reholdering and how to request the deeper, uncurved wells. 

Thank you for contacting us back. After reaching out to our internal teams regarding Reholdering the submission. CGC released information today, stating they will be able to replace everything when Reholdering including the inner well. We will be using the new inner-well for the Reholdered submissions and there is no need to request the new well. CGC is using the new well for every Reholder service moving forward. I can assure you the old well is going to be replaced with the new wells if you decide to send the comics back for Reholder. For submitting the comics you would select the Reholder service with the "unlimited value" for a 3 business day turnaround time.

Wait, there wasn’t an issue with the wells and they weren’t causing damage, but they decided to fix them anyway going forward, and you can get their mistake fixed, the mistake they didn’t make, by paying for the most expensive reholder option which will cost $200 minimum?

Edited by Msgarmar