• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
22 22

1,498 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2024 at 6:52 PM, MadGenius said:

:facepalm:

I noticed CGC started tightening all four sides of the cases following the reholder scandal. I assume this is a byproduct of whatever new process was used to seal the cases?

I noticed this too. I had to crack one for a re-press and it really sucked to get open.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, Tnexus said:

I noticed this too. I had to crack one for a re-press and it really sucked to get open.

There was a discussion about how best to get these new cases open back in Dec/Jan. Someone there gave the tip to just use a screwdriver and lightly tap with a hammer until the end breaks the seal. Once the seal is broken the rest is pretty easy. I have cracked dozens of new cases for crack and resubs since then and it works great, although the added step makes it a bit more of a pain than you get with the older style cases. 

On 7/11/2024 at 9:38 AM, MadGenius said:

I just sent pics of this book to customer service. Definite curve to the inner well with corresponding spine stress inconsistent with the grade. I will provide updates as I receive them.20240711_100532.thumb.jpg.6f586a0dddacfd134a474b4ab79069c5.jpg

20240711_1004592.thumb.jpg.4d0fc96e5824ccfedcc4d6b8b07001ad.jpg

20240711_1004272.thumb.jpg.064baa5dcbf43221272eadf7c25d4ac8.jpg

20240711_100420.thumb.jpg.35b61ad4a2f8b0dde9897421e6f81459.jpg

20240711_1003162.thumb.jpg.c14c67fb298b306bc4a0bca03953276b.jpg

9.6s are the new 8.5!  :idea:

I checked the last few books i got back, 2 of the 5 had bent interiors 1 of which had some spine stress. I also submitted pictures to customer service, they’re checking to see if they would qualify as ME’s but if they’re not willing to foot the bill to re press them I don't know if theres any point in sending them back.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:51 PM, BraveDave said:

They should compensate the difference between the book now vs before the damage

Absolutely - in my case I don't think there's (currently) any damage that couldn't be undone with a press, but yeah, if you're getting color breaking creases that drop the grade, CGC should 100% be on the hook for that value loss if it's due to the book being bent in the encapsulation.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, dbcn said:

Absolutely - in my case I don't think there's (currently) any damage that couldn't be undone with a press, but yeah, if you're getting color breaking creases that drop the grade, CGC should 100% be on the hook for that value loss if it's due to the book being bent in the encapsulation.

Okay - in agreement then. My biggest issue here is what appears to be awareness of the risk (given time frames) and continuation of encapsulating books when it could be doing more harm than good. If big $ books are getting impacted, this is ripe for … well, let’s just say it will be highly problematic for CGC.

I just received another book with a bad inner well. The Firestorm book I posted yesterday was graded in January 2024. The one I just got in the mail today was graded this month...

@CGC Mike Is it possible this issue is more widespread than initially believed? I think my theory about the new case sealing techniques that were recently adopted has some legs.

I received my book like this from CGC at the end of last November 2023. I waited too long to send it back as an error on their part so I sent it back for a reholder. I spoke to customer service but also wrote a note when I sent the book back stating the issue  . I got it back with no problems  . I didn’t notice any damage to the book and got the same grade back . I haven’t sent anything in since then but now I am concerned . 

• Administrator
On 7/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, MadGenius said:

@CGC Mike Is it possible this issue is more widespread than initially believed? I think my theory about the new case sealing techniques that were recently adopted has some legs.

I have sent our Operations Manager multiple scans of different books and different submissions, and at least 1 book should be sitting on his desk Monday, which is when he told me he will be reviewing everything.  So, I do not want to say anything until then.    

• Administrator

I will say that after talking to our Operations Manager the other day regarding this problem, he went to the encapsulation area where there were a lot of slabbed books, and could not find 1 book with a warped holder.  

On 7/12/2024 at 7:07 PM, BraveDave said:

Okay - in agreement then. My biggest issue here is what appears to be awareness of the risk (given time frames) and continuation of encapsulating books when it could be doing more harm than good. If big $ books are getting impacted, this is ripe for … well, let’s just say it will be highly problematic for CGC.

Not as long as they have no viable competition...

On 7/12/2024 at 7:26 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will say that after talking to our Operations Manager the other day regarding this problem, he went to the encapsulation area where there were a lot of slabbed books, and could not find 1 book with a warped holder.  

its not so much "warped" as it is a curve or bowing of the comic resting in the inner well. If you look at the sides then the top of the slab is on your left and the bottom on the right, both of those sides of the inner well have a tab that goes into the top and bottom of the case; meanwhile, in between those opposites the comic bows from the weight at the center of the comic. then looking at the front cover near the middle staple it causes a spine tick, which can stretch out to cause ripples in the book depending on how thick the book is in the inner well :)