• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2024 at 6:37 PM, MAY1979 said:

IMHO someone "well known" should tag CLINK and MCS to this thread and let them know why they may see less bids and likley lower hammers, plus increased requests for returns, as a result of what is going on.  At this juncture they need to care especially in what is and will be a long-term overall hobby bear market. 

Perhaps also tag other folks like Blazing Bob as well as at very least this will not help business for him - but again should be someone well known and respected who tags them not someone like me who is neither.

Anyone can tag them, they both will pop in if they want, but in terms of increased returns CL doesn’t allow returns as their policy states: 

“No Return Policy. All items sold by COMICLINK are guaranteed authentic unless otherwise indicated. No items sold by COMICLINK are returnable or refundable for any reason.”

MCS allows returns, but not for CGC items as their policy states:

“CGC and CBCS graded comic purchases are not returnable

When buying comics graded and encased by CGC or CBCS, please closely inspect the large, high resolution cover images we provide. When purchasing a third-party graded comic you are accepting ownership of the comic at the grade assigned by the certification company. Disagreeing with the CGC or CBCS grade is not an acceptable reason to return a purchased comic.

Now MCS also lists books on eBay, where buyers can force returns for 30 days, so that could happen I guess but generally neither of these 2 are going to be really impacted by returns because of their longstanding policies. 

As for the concern of lower hammer prices, maybe this happens in time but I’m not actually seeing that from my poking around. Recently graded books on both sites aren’t getting lower hammer prices at the moment as far as I can tell.

The sellers most impacted by this if it continues to garner attention are going to be the smaller sellers, particularly those on eBay who can be forced to return within 30 days for any reason. And as one of these small time sellers with an eBay account I am quite alarmed and withholding a lot of modern subs at the moment because of it.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:14 PM, wiparker824 said:

Anyone can tag them, they both will pop in if they want, but in terms of increased returns CL doesn’t allow returns as their policy states: 

“No Return Policy. All items sold by COMICLINK are guaranteed authentic unless otherwise indicated. No items sold by COMICLINK are returnable or refundable for any reason.”

When buying comics graded and encased by CGC or CBCS, please closely inspect the large, high resolution cover images we provide. When purchasing a third-party graded comic you are accepting ownership of the comic at the grade assigned by the certification company. Disagreeing with the CGC or CBCS grade is not an acceptable reason to return a purchased comic.

Now MCS also lists books on eBay, where buyers can force returns for 30 days, so that could happen I guess but generally neither of these 2 are going to be really impacted by returns because of their longstanding policies. 

As for the concern of lower hammer prices, maybe this happens in time but I’m not actually seeing that from my poking around. Recently graded books on both sites aren’t getting lower hammer prices at the moment as far as I can tell.

The sellers most impacted by this if it continues to garner attention are going to be the smaller sellers, particularly those on eBay who can be forced to return within 30 days for any reason. And as one of these small time sellers with an eBay account I am quite alarmed and withholding a lot of modern subs at the moment because of it.

A previous poster mentioned he had purchased a high grade slab from specifically ComicLink and MyComicShop. Each was warped. He said it took some work, but each agreed to take the slabs back. I believe one covered return shipping and one didn’t.

He also mentioned that each said they were aware of the warping in some slabs. There may be some wiggle room regarding returns. Especially since some books are being damaged, not just not liking the books appearance.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:14 PM, wiparker824 said:

While bulk of issue seems reside with 435+ series (graded after Oct 2023) what you mention is all the more reason NOT to purchase any 420 series or higher slabs from those venues. 

BTW:  I've returned several CGC slabs to MCS due to Shaken Comic Syndrome. It was very simple and seemed rather routine to them.  CLINK have had no issues yet, but I now will be completely avoiding their auctions due to their policy you quoted. I for one am not going to get burned.

P.S. eBay sellers like you will be the first the feel the pain and it will also be more intense. Hope you're able to pivot to a revised business model in the next several months, perhaps with a Golden geographic component?

Edited by MAY1979

If anyone receives an order back WITHOUT the spine curves, please post here and let us know.  I, and sounds like many others, are holding off on submitting new orders until this is resolved, and it's hard to tell whether CGC will make any announcements once the issue is corrected.  Thank you.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:32 AM, EastEnd1 said:

If anyone receives an order back WITHOUT the spine curves, please post here and let us know.  I, and sounds like many others, are holding off on submitting new orders until this is resolved, and it's hard to tell whether CGC will make any announcements once the issue is corrected.  Thank you.

A few non-damaged books here and there is not enough for me. At this juncture I personally require 6 consecutive months of no bends reported to even begin pondering submitting Comics again.

Edited by MAY1979

On 8/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I did get 1 ME back that looks good. I'll have to take pictures when I get home. This one also had the issue where the middle of the comic slides down from the cover. All that was fixed.

Waiting on 2 more.

I see some curvature on the majority of my slabs that were graded from 2022 and forward. Most of it is slight, or only raised on one end, but some books graded before Fall '23 are as "bad" as what I've seen in this thread, minus any "phantom ticks." Is the banana effect not something you guys see at all in your own moderns before 2023/post reholdergate?

On 8/29/2024 at 10:01 AM, smarkjobber said:

I see some curvature on the majority of my slabs that were graded from 2022 and forward. Most of it is slight, or only raised on one end, but some books graded before Fall '23 are as "bad" as what I've seen in this thread, minus any "phantom ticks." Is the banana effect not something you guys see at all in your own moderns before 2023/post reholdergate?

All of my modern books past the reholder scam have bent inner wells. There are varying degrees of issues with them, the most common of which is ticks that I know I fixed before submission showing up again and also some signs of strain (without new ticks) on some covers for books that were clean copies in 9.8 pre-screens. 

On 8/29/2024 at 10:01 AM, smarkjobber said:

Have now found some of my 427 series (Grade Date June 2023) are just as bad as post 2023.  I am now thoroughly sickened.

2024 slabs appear to be a much higher ratio of damaged books but issue existed to some degree going back at least a year prior. 

My new current SOP:

I'm not sure of exactly within which numerical series the issue begins, but for now I'm considering 416 and lower as "safe".  

ALL 1975-present:

CGC 426 series or higher is an instant swipe left for me.  In effect no slab by slab basis, I'm done.

CGC 417-426 must see the book in hand first or purchase only from a venue where the buyer holds the power - specifically eBay. Due to their no-return policies, No auction house purchases!

Pre-1975:

CGC 426 series or higher must see the book in hand first or purchase only from a venue where the buyer holds the power - specifically eBay.  Due to no-return policies, No auction house purchases!

CGC 417-425 Still considering this mostly safe but IF higher value comic, must see in hand first or purchase only from a venue where the buyer holds the power - specifically eBay.  Due to no-return policies, No auction house purchases!

Edited by MAY1979

Friend of mine sent me a link for a stream last night, in that stream the person says CGC uses rubber bands on your books with your work order to keep them together. That could explain why my books all have the same tick in the same spot. 

If they are using rubber bands on the books to keep the orders together I'll never send in another book. I mean thats prob the worst idea to hold an order together cause you just know new workers or lazy people will wrap that band around 5 times to keep them tight and crush the spines. 

Any info would be good if this is true. 

On 8/29/2024 at 10:50 AM, VinceVellCUSTOMS said:

Friend of mine sent me a link for a stream last night, in that stream the person says CGC uses rubber bands on your books with your work order to keep them together. That could explain why my books all have the same tick in the same spot. 

If they are using rubber bands on the books to keep the orders together I'll never send in another book. I mean thats prob the worst idea to hold an order together cause you just know new workers or lazy people will wrap that band around 5 times to keep them tight and crush the spines. 

Any info would be good if this is true. 

If that was the case all books, or at least top and bottom books, from all orders would have that tick. There is no reason to believe that some rubber bands will cause ticks while others do not. 

Streamers have a reputation for a reason. 

On 8/29/2024 at 11:02 AM, Stefan_W said:

If that was the case all books, or at least top and bottom books, from all orders would have that tick. There is no reason to believe that some rubber bands will cause ticks while others do not. 

Streamers have a reputation for a reason. 

Oh I get that, but my books all have a major tick color brake in the same spots, so either either a manhandle or someone used a band like 4 times to hold my books

On 8/29/2024 at 11:15 AM, VinceVellCUSTOMS said:

Oh I get that, but my books all have a major tick color brake in the same spots, so either either a manhandle or someone used a band like 4 times to hold my books

Four ticks in the same spot definitely sounds like something systematic. I would gravitate to handling or something to do with the encapsulation (like a miscalibration of a machine) rather than rubber bands, but those are only guesses. 

On 8/29/2024 at 11:02 AM, Stefan_W said:

Streamers have a reputation for a reason

Aren't you one of them ?

Edited by MAY1979

Just bought a pile of raw books that will need grading before I sell em and a bunch of them are moderns (including 1st Hobgoblin, 1st Deadpool, 1st Venom, 1st Morbius, 1st Deathlok), so I'm going to wait until the two other books I have at CGC come back and I can see if those have warped inner wells.

If they are warped then I 100% know this next large batch of books can't be going for CGC submission, and I'll inquire elsewhere since there isn't any meaningful timeline put forward by CGC in fixing this issue. 

On 8/29/2024 at 11:43 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Just bought a pile of raw books that will need grading before I sell em and a bunch of them are moderns (including 1st Hobgoblin, 1st Deadpool, 1st Venom, 1st Morbius, 1st Deathlok), so I'm going to wait until the two other books I have at CGC come back and I can see if those have warped inner wells.

If they are warped then I 100% know this next large batch of books can't be going for CGC submission, and I'll inquire elsewhere since there isn't any meaningful timeline put forward by CGC in fixing this issue. 

Nitpick: 2 are not modern

- Astonishing Tales 25 is Aug 1974

- ASM 101 is Oct 1971

Sad part is I knew date/year off top of my head....

Physical aspect aside for the moment, for a sub-set of collectors at minimum; the stink of year 2024 cert numbers will persist even after the issue is (if?) corrected. The more Social Media pickup on this the more sheep will be influenced and the larger that sub-set will grow.

Edited by MAY1979

On 8/29/2024 at 11:42 AM, MAY1979 said:

Aren't you one of them ?

I have a small You Tube channel so I have a basic understand of that game works although I really don't engage it. I am gainfully employed and have no desire to make a living, or make any profit, from my channel. I am happy with having small growth over time where people who find my channel are good with relaxed conversations about comics. 

If you want lots of clicks and views voice big opinions and get people riled up. A thumbnail showing the creator making a riled up face helps this along. 

On 8/29/2024 at 10:49 AM, Stefan_W said:
On 8/29/2024 at 10:42 AM, MAY1979 said:

Aren't you one of them ?

I have a small You Tube channel so I have a basic understand of that game works although I really don't engage it. I am gainfully employed and have no desire to make a living, or make any profit, from my channel. I am happy with having small growth over time where people who find my channel are good with relaxed conversations about comics. 

If you want lots of clicks and views voice big opinions and get people riled up. A thumbnail showing the creator making a riled up face helps this along. 

lol I might make a youtube vid because it is the only way to post a vid to the boards, and sometimes text doesn't captivate nor include my feeling of excitement. Being paid for it sounds like Aladdin with the lamp and all the powers that go with it lol when a humble small fry suits me just as well :roflmao: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/29/2024 at 11:54 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I might make a youtube vid because it is the only way to post a vid to the boards, and sometimes text doesn't captivate nor include my feeling of excitement. Being paid for it sounds like Aladdin with the lamp and all the powers that go with it lol when a humble small fry suits me just as well :roflmao: 

I think you should! I would subscribe to your channel :)