• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IS A SPLASH PAGE ???
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2024 at 8:40 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Among the overused expressions in comic art selling is "splash page". I am relatively new, started 2016. When I was young (long time ago) a splash was a "full one panel page". Stan made them a feature of his SA books. Took DC years to catch up to what Stan knew. The other form of splash I thought was a "Title splash". Usually one panel (Marvel) but sometimes split panel (DC). The goal of the cover was to get a buyer to pick it up off the rack (these days shelf) and the goal of the splash was to make him buy the book, so sometimes a split page, or panel page worked better than a simple splash. DC in the SA also had chapter splashes, which were usually one panel 1/2 to 2/3rds in size plus two lower panels. So to me not really a splash.

Today for some sellers anything that has a panel over 50% of the page is a splash. Guess that is no different from any other hype phrase around.

Now realise this is not really a question but more of a rant. Sorry guys.

As far as overused words go in the OA community: “Splash” = “grail”.

My 2c and best believe it's really just 2c to a post like this... the classic Spidey page above is in fact a splash, but termed correctly it's a 2/3 splash. At the end of the day the old school collectors will say only a title splash and or a true 1st page or full 1 panel page is a splash, but times have changed. If a page has a full half panel and 2 smaller panels below, it's technically a 1/2 splash being 1/2 of the page is taken up by one panel. I'm do agree there are many different variations of "splash" pages and not just 1 or 2 versions ie 1/2 splash, 2/3 splash, etc. But I do draw the line on anything below a half splash, the splashy or quarter splash is more hype and a gimmick, only 1/2 on up should really be considered in the splash conversation. I don't see the fuss really, make your own determination on the page and how you term it and move along LOL. 2c:)

Before I got into comic art, web and print referred to Splash Pages as the introductory page to the content the viewer was about to take in. I've seen lots of people use terms like "half-splash", "full splash" for pages within the comic, not just the first page. I tend to use those terms if I am selling, only because everyone else is doing it. 

I refer to first page Splash Pages as Title Page/Splash Page to try and get both terms in there. Splash Page should be the first page in the book and that's it. But, I don't think there is any correcting it now, we are stuck with splash, half splash, quarter splash, etc - when honestly, I prefer the panel counting method: six panel page, four panel page, etc.

On 5/28/2024 at 1:14 PM, vodou said:

When everything is a splash, nothing is a splash.

not everything is...is the point. 1/2 on up this day and age is industry standard today and welcomed in most cases. Anything below that is a stretch and there's a lot that's a stretch. But to reiterate not everything is truly a splash...

On 5/28/2024 at 1:20 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Depends if you're buying or selling 

If you're selling, the "splash" or "splashy" page is of course to your advantage. On the flip side as the buyer you now have a "splash" whether we all see it that way when it's your turn to sell or not LOL.

Posted (edited)

1/2 splash or 2/3 splash for example are OK terms.

"Splashy" is a pure cringe term used by the same type of total used car salesman loser that says "Minty", "Minty Fresh" or "Gemmy" to describe condition of a raw Comic Book, Trading Card or Vinyl Record. It's best to avoid at all costs doing business with anyone who uses those terms.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/28/2024 at 12:55 PM, cstojano said:

I am all fine with definitions and usages changing over time but to me the BWS Conan run uses splash pages in the sense of the original use of the term. 

CTB #1 SP.jpg

54f508a9d94db919b7c08b72aef8022c.jpg

BWS punny 165 pound Conan. Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

On 5/28/2024 at 7:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

1/2 splash or 2/3 splash for example are OK terms.

"Splashy" is a pure cringe term used by the same type of total used car salesman loser that says "Minty", "Minty Fresh" or "Gemmy" to describe condition of a raw Comic Book, Trading Card or Vinyl Record. It's best to avoid at all costs doing business with anyone who uses those terms.

I0ve hread this from a very known dealer! lol 

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 10:24 AM, The Voord said:

THIS is a splash page!

3.jpg

This is a panel page with a large panel. If it has more than one panel to the page it's a panel page. 

If the whole page is one image from side to sideband top to bottom with images inside the single image,I still considerate splash page.

Too many people selling comic art will call something a splash page, eve if its composed of an number of panel images just to jackup the price.

Edited by Brian Peck

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 12:56 PM, J.Sid said:

Printing advancements came, allowing the Image guys to blur the lines with their extensive page layout explorations....

image.png.de1c4b2e14d2dea37868b34e7d1ba8ab.png

One might call it a splash page with 3 inset panels.  Anyway, buy the... image not the panel count.

Edited by Will_K