• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The danger of resubmitting for sig verification
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Like you said, this risk is always there and always has been whether it's for sig verification or not.  I saw a video several months ago where a blue label slab was sent in and it came back with a green label.  Now that's the kind of stuff that is .... weird.

My biggest fear would be potential "handling damage", if books are de-slabbed and manhandled by a careless or rushed CGC employee and then submitted to the grading department.  Anything can happen to the book when it gets pried out of its inner well and prepared for grading, including stress damage to the spine, finger dents to the cover, tiny edge pieces torn from Silver Age books, etc.  I've thought of having some of my books sent in for regrading but just the thought of these potential risks has kept me from sending out any of my most prized copies :eek: 

On 6/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, mosconi said:

My biggest fear would be potential "handling damage", if books are de-slabbed and manhandled by a careless or rushed CGC employee and then submitted to the grading department.

The person who submitted the books above says the corners were minty fresh in the slab when submitted. Not so much any more. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 6:13 PM, Telegan said:

Like you said, this risk is always there and always has been whether it's for sig verification or not.  I saw a video several months ago where a blue label slab was sent in and it came back with a green label.  Now that's the kind of stuff that is .... weird.

Here we go ...

Edited by Telegan

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 7:28 PM, Telegan said:
On 6/1/2024 at 6:13 PM, Telegan said:

Here we go ...

I luckily skipped to the correct parts, cgc totally would have been responsible and likely would have done something about it IF they were the ones to crack the blue label, video matches the book assumes someone will press the 9.6 to 9.8, but doesn't mention those personally involved and doesn't say cgc did it. Very unfortunate but a lot of gray area imo, that is based on perspective to the viewer, otherwise tries to explain the pitfalls for me as a viewer, but that tells me to do something like that at CGC to begin with and not discount cgc.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/1/2024 at 4:51 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Or any reholder, really.

Screenshot_20240601_173547_Instagram.thumb.jpg.69e5fa488feff1d9725774adb119ca61.jpg

Saw this on IG

Reholdering is fine as they do not regrade the book unless something happens (which you will be notified about).

The grade drop and lack of transparency on how sketches affect the grade (outside of the nebulous statement offered) has me very hesitant to submit any green label for authentication. Best internal practices would include automation in tracking a book entered as a 9.8 then leaving as a 9.2 being flagged for review. But we all know CGC does not do this in any way and blames all mishandling of books in CGC possession on the customer. No graders notes on this is also a substandard practice, I am going to have to see a lot of these books in the wild prior to sending in anything and trusting the current process.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:28 PM, Telegan said:

Here we go ...

He still thinks that multiple graders look at each book...........how adorable.

Who's going to break the news to him about Santa Quality Control?

On 6/3/2024 at 2:57 AM, Domo Arigato said:

He still thinks that multiple graders look at each book...........how adorable.

Who's going to break the news to him about Santa Quality Control?

You know what's pathetic? They've never addressed the obvious instances of only 1 grader looking at the book. Not once.