• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Power of One! The Power of Two! The Power of Star Wars Comics are going to zerooooooooo?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

If you've collected Star Wars stuff for any length of time, you should be familiar with this cycle.  I probably should have sold all my stuff when George announced episodes 1-3, but I'm still a fan of everything prior (and the Obiwan/Quigon/Maul fight scene).  Star Wars comics are likely one of the largest print runs and should never have been fetching the high dollars that flippers are achieving.

They should done a series about Vader (just after RotS) or Yoda (a couple hundred years prior to ESB).  Either would've been far more interesting if done right.

I've certainly been critical of almost all the Disney Star Wars since it's inception, but even I think this one is getting way too much unnecessary hate. There's a lot I'm eye rolling in The Acolyte, but at least they're telling an original story with original characters for once.

On 6/15/2024 at 2:44 PM, Shadow said:

As an 11 year old in 1977, Star Wars has that cemented place in my heart... 

Younger people are going to be skeptical of this, but I saw Star Wars (now episode IV) in February of 1979 (shortly before I turned five), so at least one theater near me was still running it 21 months after it opened. I don't think it was a discount/second-run theater, either. I can't imagine anything like that occurring now.

On 6/15/2024 at 3:20 PM, MattTheDuck said:

The only "whoa" moment in the prequels was when Anakin and Obi-Wan were introduced.  "Wow, he's going to kill that guy." 

You mean you didn't immediately fall in love with Jar-Jar Binks like most people did?

I disagree with many comments on this thread. Star Wars has always been an inconsistent product. The original trilogy was mind blowing when it came out to my 11 year old self but now various aspects cause me to cringe - Luke’s whining in the first movie, the Ewoks in the third etc.  And let’s not forget the low points of the Christmas special and Ewoks tv movies which now have only camp value. All predate Disney, none destroyed the franchise.

Neither did the second trilogy or the droids cartoon despite their many flaws.

For me the comics were largely forgettable under Marvel. The books, especially Foster’s and Zahn’s early efforts and the Han Solo and Rogue Squadron series, were much much better for a while but I agree with the decision to retcon almost all of the later books out of existence.

Disney’s post-Lucas efforts have been as inconsistent and as good as the pre-Disney efforts. The last episode of Andor may have been the most brilliant Star Wars filmmaking ever. Mandalorian has its ups and downs. Other things make me cringe but not as much as Jar Jar Binks. 

As for the comics falling in value. Could easily happen. Not sure why they ever rose to any heights. The value should derive from the stories they told and I am unaware of any significant storylines. They are just a licensed property.

Edited by sfcityduck

To me, Star Wars is the original characters. Luke. Leia, Han, Chewie, the Droids, and Darth Vader, similar to Star Trek to me are Kirk, Spock, and Bones McCoy. The others just seem like a name only. not the characters I grew up to love. Think of being a Patriots or Bulls fan without Brady or Jordan. It`s not the same without the GOAT characters.

Star Wars Marvel Comic First Cover

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking
spelling druids instead of droids. ha ha

The prequel trilogy has some legitimately interesting storytelling hamstrung by awful, awful pacing and dialogue writing. 

The sequel trilogy might have started out with some direction. I remain convinced that 7 feels like a retread of 4 on purpose, with the idea that 8 and 9 would then subvert those expectations. But instead we did the director roulette, and Rian Johnson was clearly more interested in taking shots at JJ Abrams than telling an actual story in 8... and then JJ Abrams was too busy turning around to TAKE THAT! to Johnson instead of making 9 make sense. 

And the Disney series have been a mixed bag. Mando season 1 is good. Andor was exceptionally good. Most of the rest are forgettable.

And right now, the comics community often cares more about the media the comic book is spun off from rather than the books on their merits. So when Star Wars puts out visual drek, people look elsewhere from the comics. 

On 6/17/2024 at 7:09 AM, sfcityduck said:

I disagree with many comments on this thread. Star Wars has always been an inconsistent product. The original trilogy was mind blowing when it came out to my 11 year old self but now various aspects cause me to cringe - Luke’s whining in the first movie, the Ewoks in the third etc.  And let’s not forget the low points of the Christmas special and Ewoks tv movies which now have only camp value. All predate Disney, none destroyed the franchise.

Neither did the second trilogy or the droids cartoon despite their many flaws.

For me the comics were largely forgettable under Marvel. The books, especially Foster’s and Zahn’s early efforts and the Han Solo and Rogue Squadron series, were much much better for a while but I agree with the decision to retcon almost all of the later books out of existence.

Disney’s post-Lucas efforts have been as inconsistent and as good as the pre-Disney efforts. The last episode of Andor may have been the most brilliant Star Wars filmmaking ever. Mandalorian has its ups and downs. Other things make me cringe but not as much as Jar Jar Binks. 

As for the comics falling in value. Could easily happen. Not sure why they ever rose to any heights. The value should derive from the stories they told and I am unaware of any significant storylines. They are just a licensed property.

I know Chaykins opinion of Star Wars is ho-hum and that he was bored but I still really like his work there and for me it worked out pretty good. Not his best work for sure but because it was Star Wars and out before the movie was released is gold to me. Also the series produced one of the strongest variants out there that sees no signs of slowing down. People were obsessing over the 35 cent variant since the 1980’s.

IMG_9977.thumb.webp.188d527f3f5c73534b6ad78cd2997a7b.webp

IMG_9979.thumb.jpeg.2812685a64a581e713edf646d11bbee3.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

On 6/17/2024 at 9:09 AM, sfcityduck said:

I disagree with many comments on this thread. Star Wars has always been an inconsistent product. The original trilogy was mind blowing when it came out to my 11 year old self but now various aspects cause me to cringe - Luke’s whining in the first movie, the Ewoks in the third etc.

Yep. Star Wars has always been more miss than hit, starting with the second half of ROTJ. That's Disney AND pre-Disney. There's about three TV seasons and three and a half movies of "good" stuff by my count, and the rest is mediocre to downright awful. 

On 6/17/2024 at 12:00 PM, october said:

Yep. Star Wars has always been more miss than hit, starting with the second half of ROTJ. That's Disney AND pre-Disney. There's about three TV seasons and three and a half movies of "good" stuff by my count, and the rest is mediocre to downright awful. 

I cant stay I disagree,

Empire Strikes Back really overachieved and I think set-up the world to be disappointed there after lol

On 6/15/2024 at 11:08 PM, Tnexus said:

I've certainly been critical of almost all the Disney Star Wars since it's inception, but even I think this one is getting way too much unnecessary hate. There's a lot I'm eye rolling in The Acolyte, but at least they're telling an original story with original characters for once.

Maybe do a quick Google search of the show reviews by fans. If you can find one title that says “this is great” please share it with us. I glanced at over a dozen and the title headlines are, horrible, terrible, ruined, garbage, etc, etc. Personally I think the disgust is well deserved and the polar opposite Tomatometer review of 84-85% is laughable, only serves to fuel the hate from the Dark side.