• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took the plunge and crossed the 10k+ purchase threshold after almost 15 years of collecting.

18 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2024 at 9:59 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Hey everyone,

I've been collecting OA for roughly 15 years now. I'm a budget buyer, with a few exceptions. I've been lucky enough to be secure some higher end pieces over the years with time payments that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. My price ceiling, even with payments, was about 5-6k though which ultimately limited what I could pick up. "Buy what you love" they say, but the stuff I really like is/was at least 2-4 times my normal budget.

That said a few years ago I got my first piece by Lee Bermejo and fell in love. I've been slowing picking up more by him but for some of his higher end stuff I'd have to break past my comfort zone. So low and behold a sweet page comes up at Heritage at the end of last year that I'm expecting to go well past my normal budget. Heritage makes it really easy to hit that bid button, and in the heat of the final bidding I put in a bid (expecting to get immediately outbid) the hammer came down and I won! Equal excitement and fear as I now had a contract to pay for the page.

Heritage was incredibly accommodating, allowing a percentage down with several monthly payments until the balance was taken care of. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of this sooner. You really just need to have enough for the down payment and if needed you can also send them some quality comics/art consignments and use the cash advance to help with that payment. Patience was paramount, as I just made the final payment on the invoice last week. I was always a purveyor of time payments, but now one of my only regrets in the hobby is that I didn't take the plunge into deeper waters sooner.

For anyone interested, here's the page in question :) : CAF link 

I guess this means I'm about 7 years away from that. LOL!

On 6/28/2024 at 5:07 PM, comicartfan said:

Congrats on the killer piece !! 

I'm a big Bermejo too :headbang:

image.png.35b04e5af93d66c5397e82852acd50fd.png

The OA to the Catwoman I see there on the upper left is one of my favorite pieces on CAF. In the gallery of Roland Lim: CAF link

That's a tremendous commitment to Bermejo, well done!!

Thanks ! - my tattoo artist at the time we did this sent a DM to Lee. 
Lee was really flattered and really impressed with my artist’s skill.

We mapped out the design and needed something to fill the space. That’s how we came up with blending the images 

Edited by comicartfan

On 6/28/2024 at 9:59 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Hey everyone,

I've been collecting OA for roughly 15 years now. I'm a budget buyer, with a few exceptions. I've been lucky enough to secure some higher end pieces over the years with time payments that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. My price ceiling, even with payments, was about 5-6k though which ultimately limited what I could pick up. "Buy what you love" they say, but the stuff I really like is/was at least 2-4 times my normal budget.

That said a few years ago I got my first piece by Lee Bermejo and fell in love. I've been slowing picking up more by him but for some of his higher end stuff I'd have to break past my comfort zone. So low and behold a sweet page comes up at Heritage at the end of last year that I'm expecting to go well past my normal budget. Heritage makes it really easy to hit that bid button, and in the heat of the final bidding I put in a bid (expecting to get immediately outbid) the hammer came down and I won! Equal excitement and fear as I now had a contract to pay for the page.

Heritage was incredibly accommodating, allowing a percentage down with several monthly payments until the balance was taken care of. You really just need to have enough for the down payment and if needed you can also send them some quality comics/art consignments and use the cash advance to help with that payment. Patience was paramount, as I just made the final payment on the invoice last week. I was always a purveyor of time payments but now one of my only regrets in the hobby is that I didn't take the plunge into deeper waters sooner.

For anyone interested, here's the page in question :) : CAF link 

Congrats Phil! Next stop 20k! 

just keep filling the gap in the restoration world and it will be easy peezi!