• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee Commissions fuel debate over the artists asking price
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2024 at 6:05 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Just pointing out that a PUBLISHED Batman Hush page would sell for about what he's charging for an 11x17 full figure commission. 

There are many (or maybe the proper phrase is "it is common") artists where commission rates are equal to their published pages.

It's an oddity of the hobby. Perhaps fans want to interact with the artist, and are willing to pay more.

Malvin

Perhaps the type of person spending $35k on a commission isn't overly concerned with resale value.

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 11:43 AM, malvin said:

There are many (or maybe the proper phrase is "it is common") artists where commission rates are equal to their published pages.

It's an oddity of the hobby. Perhaps fans want to interact with the artist, and are willing to pay more.

Malvin

If the pages are $500, then fine. If I am spending $20k-$25K, I'm buying a good, published page from that artist. If it's Jim Lee, and I was forced to get a commission at that price, it would 100% be a DC character, because then there would be a non-negligible chance it might be turned into a variant cover at some point. But, would you rather get a Jim Lee Commission, or get this published cover?

lee%20action%201050c%20%20635.jpg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Like Ryan above me stated, if you've got this kind of money to spend on a sketch you probably aren't worried about resale value.  I imagine the person buying it is doing so to own a one of kind piece and aren't too concerned that they could have gotten a published piece instead?  Not everyone collects with reselling in mind.

On 7/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, EggShen4thewin said:

Like Ryan above me stated, if you've got this kind of money to spend on a sketch you probably aren't worried about resale value.  I imagine the person buying it is doing so to own a one of kind piece and aren't too concerned that they could have gotten a published piece instead?  Not everyone collects with reselling in mind.

I have been collecting for almost 40 years and have never sold one of my con drawings or commissions. Resale never enters my mind, it the word that it will meet my expectations.

On 7/3/2024 at 1:29 AM, EggShen4thewin said:

I imagine the person buying it is doing so to own a one of kind piece

Isn't every OA piece a "one of a kind piece"?

I personally wouldn't be able to afford a commission at that pricing so I'm glad I got what I got when I did. As a collector I hope his commission prices help give his published work a bump in price so I can sell some of the pieces I have. He can sell his commissions at whatever price he so desires and will do so. The opinion of collectors who can't afford them is irrelevant but the 1st amendment gives them the right to speak as they please.

On 7/1/2024 at 11:37 PM, jaykza said:

Reading the comments in the article as well as the multiple FB posts, I find it humorous how angry people seem to get over this. Is it because they thought they could eventually get a commission but now it's out of reach? I would bet it was already out of reach for them well before this recent round. 

I recall the same type of reaction when Tradd Moore's list opened up a few years ago. Where does the anger come from? 

I think there’s a sense that commissions are akin to sketches, where artists work should be more readily available to “fans”.

But as artists work have gotten more valuable, and work is time, artists should charge what the market will bear for the amount of work they will commit. For some, like Jim Lee, that is an astronomical amount (to me, but clearly not all. I’m sure these will sell out. Note the Covid sketches which were largely amazing pieces of art, but all sold around this level IIRC for 365 of them!).

The alternative is finding the amount of time/work that makes it accessible, a la smaller quick sketches. But then the fans clamor about that. There’s no winning for someone who’s market has reached the level that can command these prices.

Not really a Jim Lee fan.  But I understand why people love his art. 

If I could get a Jim Lee drawing that I like and at a price I could afford... I'd buy it... but so would everyone.

Jim Lee can charge whatever he wants.  I've mentioned it before, I'm really amazed that the market can absorb so much of his art.  To paraphrase @timguerrero regarding his Jim Lee art, a rising tide may lift all boats. 

Interesting that art can only be picked up at shows.  Why risk shipping ??

On 7/1/2024 at 11:37 PM, jaykza said:

Reading the comments in the article as well as the multiple FB posts, I find it humorous how angry people seem to get over this. Is it because they thought they could eventually get a commission but now it's out of reach? I would bet it was already out of reach for them well before this recent round. 

I recall the same type of reaction when Tradd Moore's list opened up a few years ago. Where does the anger come from? 

The con experience has changed within the last several years and it feels a lot more like a pure transactional interaction than what it used to be. Look at how many of these artists employ bad reps who can't be bothered to treat you like a person, or have no problem selling to or doing events with facilitators and then gripe about resellers, and it's tough to just keep throwing money at the problem. 

There are definitely plenty of great artists though who appreciate the business and I'll always get art or signatures from them, (not expecting or asking for either for free). 

Ole grape ape wakes up this morning to find the thread he started on Jim Lee is at the top of his google page. Has grapeape become a moderately famous celeb? If so I have to thank the little people (you guys) who also share this "fame."

Or, is this an algorithm just f****** with my head? :)

image.thumb.jpeg.81349864208dd5ef78e2cefc810dc331.jpeg

lollollol

On 7/1/2024 at 9:56 AM, grapeape said:

I don't want to steer this one way or the other, but...... I probably will. I'm all for an artist knowing what he's worth and asking for it. Here's the link. What sayeth yee?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/on-jim-lee-charging-up-to-35000-for-private-commission-artwork/

On 7/2/2024 at 1:16 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

If the pages are $500, then fine. If I am spending $20k-$25K, I'm buying a good, published page from that artist. If it's Jim Lee, and I was forced to get a commission at that price, it would 100% be a DC character, because then there would be a non-negligible chance it might be turned into a variant cover at some point. But, would you rather get a Jim Lee Commission, or get this published cover?

lee%20action%201050c%20%20635.jpg

I agree with you point about possibility of it becoming a cover. If this commission were something I was considering I'd have that conversation with Moy/Lee ahead of committing to the commission, it might make the price point easier to swallow 

The only fly in the ointment is it basically limits you to DC characters. 

SGM was charging 10k for OAX commissions with the promise he'd look to use them as covers, whenever possible, for any future projects. 

Of course, your primary reason for paying should be the art itself.

On 7/4/2024 at 2:20 PM, Nexus said:

Lots of other stories like this about Tradd. It's absolutely been my honor to know him.

Love to see it.  Good things happening to people doing good things. I personally don't care what an artist charges for a commission.  It seems like the market (fanbase) would ultimately decide whether the price was reasonable or out of reach. I think it is great the fans have had access to most artists at somewhat reasonable prices for decades, but I also don't believe it should be a situation of expectation or entitlement.  My opinion (and certainly not worth much) is that artists don't owe us fans anything, so while it's been great to be able to purchase pieces from artists I love, I don't expect their pricing to remain constant if there are other collectors who are willing to pay more.  I can't expect to be able to buy a home for the same price I paid 20 years ago if the housing demand has increased.