• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That time of year again- new Overstreet is out this week. I still love the book.
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2024 at 3:06 PM, twmjr1 said:

I have all my old copies from #4 (1974) to date. I still look forward to receiving the new edition every year, even though it doesn't give remotely accurate info on the comic market. 

Its about the information, not the prices. Prices are now too volatile, up and down, to make any printed annual book a valuable reference. Really, the only thing I check these days for prices are auction results (Heritage, eBay, etc.) for really up to date pricing. I don't think GCD is all that useful because it has too few datapoints for a lot of GA. But the information in Overstreet is priceless and not compiled anywhere else. 

My only criticism of OPG is that they should include even more info. If I'm the editor, I'd be on the lookout for new datapoints because that is what will keep people buying.

If I really wanted new content, I'd start covering Canadian editions and maybe starting emphasizing some U.S. manga facts. Why isn't there an article in OPG discussing the first manga printed for a US market, or the first manga translated into English for a US audience, etc., or even inclusion and identification of those comics?

Lots of room for growth for the OPG, both big and small.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:16 AM, Crowzilla said:

That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be accurate at all. The days of Overstreet being able to "crash" a market because they raised the price of a book close to market value are long over. If a book sells consistently for 5-10x guide for a decade plus, OS should do more than the obligatory 10% increase. There's no downside for them to attempt to be as accurate as possible when they go to press.

Agreed. But I just don't care what they say. I've always assumed OPG underpriced to aid dealers. Originally, buyers got a fraction of OPG and dealers would sell the "undervalued" books for over OPG. Maybe the astute and nationally networked collectors and dealers knew what was going on, but for a kid like me I had no clue. I didn't hear the "truth" or rumors, like Bob suppressing the value of books he didn't yet have, until after the internet became a thing. Now, regional price valuations are a thing of the past, most pricing can be determined without any need for OPG, and the best way to profit on "information disparities" is to find books that are underappreciated for one reason or another due to general lack of knowledge - buy them - and try to rectify that. 

Which is why, being a democratic sort of guy, I like to see knowledge shared and want OPG to include more info.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, sfcityduck said:

I've always assumed OPG underpriced to aid dealers.

Overstreet has for decades been based on a 3-year rolling average of prices obtained no more recently than 6 months prior to publication.  This means that in a rising market, it was always going to be less than what some sellers might have charged in the prior year and even more under-priced compared to what some sellers would charge in the current year.

Example

• 2021 comic sells for $100
  • 2022 comic sells for $110
  • 2023 comic sells for $120

2024 Guide Price = $110

On 7/22/2024 at 6:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Its about the information, not the prices.

I agree. I've always used Overstreet as an info source. That's what made me an Overstreet fan. Plus I like Overstreet's definitions of "rare", "scarce" and what constitutes restoration.

(thumbsu

It's way too big for me these days though. I'd like it better if it did not include any title that got its start after 1990 or so.

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/25/2024 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

I just thumbed it quickly and chuckled at all the ads claiming “highest prices” paid (based on this guide) :roflmao:

I love the ads though! Many are very well done. And for a tremendous rush of nostalgia, I start flipping through a pre-1980 (<#10) copy! 

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat