• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Congratulations, 2024 CGC Comics Registry Award Winners!
3 3

47 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, CGC Mike said:

Aside from the Registry, I wanted to personally congratulate the 3 forumites of the year.  @jimjum12 @thehumantorch  @marvelmaniac

jimjum12

This user has shared his vast knowledge with other collectors here for more than 20 years. His mild-mannered and friendly attitude has made it easy for him to fit in and be highly respected in the community.

thehumantorch

This user is always providing helpful information to newcomers and veteran posters alike. His vast knowledge and experience do not go unnoticed. The same can be said about his unique sense of humor.

marvelmaniac

This user is very helpful to others in the hey buddy can you spare a grade forum, by supplying a highly detailed grading tutorial to support his grade in every post. In turn, this educates other users about comic grading.

Thanks Mike.  You're very kind.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, CGC Mike said:

Aside from the Registry, I wanted to personally congratulate the 3 forumites of the year.  @jimjum12 @thehumantorch  @marvelmaniac

jimjum12

This user has shared his vast knowledge with other collectors here for more than 20 years. His mild-mannered and friendly attitude has made it easy for him to fit in and be highly respected in the community.

thehumantorch

This user is always providing helpful information to newcomers and veteran posters alike. His vast knowledge and experience do not go unnoticed. The same can be said about his unique sense of humor.

marvelmaniac

This user is very helpful to others in the hey buddy can you spare a grade forum, by supplying a highly detailed grading tutorial to support his grade in every post. In turn, this educates other users about comic grading.

Congrats, @thehumantorch

I can attest that he is the same way at shows as well, even leaving his booth at times to help people find books that he knows other sellers have.

On 7/26/2024 at 1:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

jimjum12

thehumantorch

marvelmaniac

Outstanding! I was happy to see some familiar names in this section! Congrats @jimjum12 @thehumantorch @marvelmaniac!

Also special shoutout to @Parabellum for the win on that awesome Punisher collection!

very well established sets. and some with 100% descriptions throughout all sets. time and dedication well deserved :headbang:

Congrats on @jimjum12 @thehumantorch and @marvelmaniac for the respectable post history, jokes, and giving descriptions of grades in the "spare a grade" forum; admirable to say the least :whee: 

Congrats to Lou! His collection is stunning and I really thought his winning of the overall award was several years overdue. 

However, at the risk of being labeled poor losers, the way the individual set award winners are determined remains a total mystery to us. Let me say upfront that I don’t think anyone collects comics to win these awards, they really are not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. But this year the three winners of the best SA set, which we are focusing on only because we are primarily SA collectors, all came from rather obscure titles. Two of the sets were not complete and one of those was ranked third in the title. All three sets had less than 6000 registry points and one should have been in a different category. No offense intended to the collectors who owned those sets, we don’t know any of them, but the criteria CGC employs to select the set award winners every year defies logic, because it is clearly not based on total points, set ranking, completeness or presentation. There were at least 1000 better SA sets based on those criteria than the three that won. 

Maybe we are just ignorant, but it seems to us that these awards have become more participation trophies than anything else, which is fine, just tell us that upfront. Otherwise, how is it that a set that is incomplete, ranks third in its title behind two complete sets, and scores less than 6,000 registry points is judged better than ones that are first in a title, are 100% complete, and contain full descriptions of every book with front and back pictures and hundreds of thousands of registry points?  If nothing else, it certainly draws into question how CGC scores books in the registry. 

Admittedly, these are CGC’s awards and they can do with them anything they like, but at least they should explain the criteria for judging the sets so that we collectors can decide whether to make our sets public for the competition. 

Congrats again to Lou and the other winners, but I think these awards should either be discontinued or winning sets judged based on some objective standard of merit, which is clearly not the case currently. In fact, I think the entire registry point system is in dire need of revision, what exactly are registry points supposed to signify anyway?  Currently, books that have higher populations and are regularly traded are scored much higher than rarer books that may well be more valuable if they ever appeared on the market. 

Sets should also be scored based on some percentage of completion component, which we have argued for years. And then there is the problem that the collection that stands second in the total point standings was sold several years ago, but still tops the registry in several sets-there are several other similar examples. At the very least, CGC should make each competitor confirm that they still own the books in their sets. I know of several occasions in the past where awards have been given to people who have already sold some or all of the books in their award winning sets. 

At any rate, sorry for the rant and I am sure now that some people here will attack this post or us personally and come to bat for the integrity of the registry points and/or judging system, but they are certainly a mystery to us-and we’ve been collecting CGC comics for over two decades and have been on the registry since 2010. 

Edited by Mississippi Mudcats

On 7/26/2024 at 4:51 PM, grendel013 said:

image.thumb.png.87c071fd8512624f8bf7d3e271527fd5.png

I'm happy with my award! Back on top two years in a row now... until the 9.9s start coming out...:shy:

You have a cool name too! Mine is too common lol but good stuff!

I went to find out if I had any, but lol my titles don't automatically show the nature of the set by the title haha

On 7/26/2024 at 5:21 PM, grendel013 said:

Unfortunately no relationship to Maria or Bill...

image.png.aeaa0fef1802eb02f87010195a826d28.pngimage.thumb.png.7c6582b7ddbd284cbd03e52d114f4943.png

Screenshot_20240726_172249_Samsung Internet.jpg