• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Collecting 'Philosophy'...
3 3

64 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2024 at 7:33 AM, wardevil0 said:

Hopefully we all collect based on what makes us happy, but for me that's based on two main factors: the direct enjoyment I feel from the item, and the feeling of accomplishment for acquiring it.  My main efforts right now are Antarctic Press comics and non-US editions.  Finding a copy of Gold Digger or Ninja High School with a print run of about 2200 from 25 years ago that has survived since then in bins and still earns a 9.6 or higher grade feels great.  It's even more exciting to find a foreign edition of an Antarctic Press comic in great condition!  There may be no better copy of this comic left in the world:

20220112_194344.jpg

image.png.24af3714752c353fc0dc20fa4855a4ab.png

:screwy:

I only collect stuff that I find interesting and try my best not to overpay for them.  If I don't get them for the price I want, I just wait for the next one to show up.  It's rare I pay up much beyond FMV, but it's happened.  I generally only collect GA comics nowadays, but still buy SA here and there.  I'll start buying more SA once I think that market has tanked enough.  I don't put too much of my net worth into comics and don't consider them much of an investment despite the fact I hope to come out on top once the time comes to sell them.

I don't care about collecting runs or any specific artist's entire runs.  I love the Fantstic Four, but I like them because of Galactus and the cosmic-themed stories they had.  I don't really read comics much anymore - just like the cover art from yesteryear.  I pretty much focus on GA pre-code stuff, and more specifically pre-code sci-fi and pre-code horror.  I'll dabble in other stuff here and there that is pre-code, but not in those two categories, too.

As far as grades, I don't really care as long as it doesn't look like complete trash or moldy.  Unless it's a new book, probably 98% of my purchases are slabs.  I'll go for 7's, 8's, and 9's now in the SA since they've tanked.  In the GA, I'm content a lot of times with 3's and 4's, but usually go for 5's and up now.  I don't mind purple label books, if that's all I can get or if I otherwise would have no chance to buy anything "better".

Basically, I guess, I like a lot of the older stuff in mid-to-high grade and try not to go overboard with it.  But as with everything ... it depends.  But I always try not to let it get out of hand. :D

Edited by Telegan

For my personal collection...I made a list of what comic books I wanted then sold books to save the money for those books.
I have three or four left, but am not really in the rush to get them as I know myself well enough that I will just add more once completed.
Had to create this process because if left unchecked I would just buy whatever I wanted just for the dopamine hit.
I collect comics primarily to make the child inside me who pored over and loved comics happy.
Definitely don't read comics anymore nor know what is going on in the last 5 years for any publisher.
Ever since that shift in not being active in reading comics my 'purchases' began expanding into celebrity CGC SS; which I don't count as comics...if that makes sense.

On 8/2/2024 at 6:02 PM, Telegan said:

A budget under $500/comic but no limit on the number of comics?  I sense trouble. :D  jk.

Well, I've made 20 or so exceptions, but every "joke" has a hint of truth, so I don't doubt it too much. I'm listening though? :) if you'd care to elaborate :roflmao: