• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Geekfest
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2024 at 12:31 PM, adamstrange said:

RareHighGrade used to host an soiree at his place concurrent with the San Diego Con but that ended with the pandemic.

After a four year hiatus, we finally had a chance for a scaled down version.

Dr. Love kicked things off with some art and pulp digests.

An1.jpg

Did @Dr. Love and @RareHighGrade coordinate outfits before hand? 

On 8/30/2024 at 3:22 PM, buttock said:

Did @Dr. Love and @RareHighGrade coordinate outfits before hand? 

No but great fashion minds think alike!

On 8/30/2024 at 1:32 PM, adamstrange said:

He also brought a selection of rare give-aways, including one that has to be the best worst title ever for a comic.

An2.jpg

You think you've seen everything and then ...

Manuel the tuna fisherman saving some "breast o'chicken"?  Yeah... that's gonna be tough to beat.  I looked at issue #1 and it seems they were on a boat called "Breast O'Chicken"?  There's gotta be a story here.

*EDIT* : Ah, nevermind.  I see.  From MCS description : Story and art by Frieda Bart Hind. Featuring tales of high adventure set on the open sea, these were mail-away promotional comic books made for and to promote Brast-O-Chicken canned foods, a product of the Westgate-Sun Harbor Co.

Edited by Telegan

On 8/30/2024 at 10:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

Speaking of red back covers - here's one for another promo I brought to the delightful geek fest

Pocohontasnnbc100.jpg.a8cae6bfb0ec0bb04c3f026fa09f3a74.jpg

I was so enraptured I completely forgot to take a picture. :blush:

On 8/30/2024 at 11:32 AM, adamstrange said:

He also brought a selection of rare give-aways, including one that has to be the best worst title ever for a comic.

An2.jpg

I first discover that one from Scott Shaw!’s old SDCC “Esoteric” panels. My want list always expanded after one of those. 

On 8/31/2024 at 10:06 AM, Robot Man said:

I first discover that one from Scott Shaw!’s old SDCC “Esoteric” panels. My want list always expanded after one of those. 

That was a great series, I think I read them in CBM or CBG.  I ended up buying a bunch of weird books he recommended.  Ricky & Debbie in Sardineland, Muggy Doo Boy Cat, Elsie the Cow.  My tastes are still influenced by him.