• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what's the Holy Grail of Big-Little Books?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I’ve been buying them on impulse for most of my collecting “adventure”. Can’t say I’ve seeked out many specificaly just when they turn up cheap in high grade.

I did seek out Green Hornet, Shadow, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Disney title and cool pair of Betty Boop ones. Doubt I ever paid more than $25. for any.

As far as scarce ones, I would say the Big Little Paint Book, and the smaller soft cover premium giveaways especially the ones given out at Pan Am Gasoline. Probably a few others.

A lot are popular to specific character collectors. The Laughing Dragon of OZ comes to mind. 

I have very fond memories of them as a child. The Batman, Spider-Man and especially Fantastic Four "House of Horrors" book were constant re-reads for me. I also had Disney and Warner Brothers ones...maybe 12-15 of them in total.

They are wonderful. <3

In hollywood?

On 9/5/2024 at 8:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Back when I was a kid, Cherokee, Bond Street and Collector’s Book store were special pilgrimages. This was the “GA” of BLB collecting. Collectors had the biggest selection. I wasn’t interested in them but I witnessed a lot of interest in them.

Here is a cool photo of the upstairs of Leonard Brown with just some of the store’s extensive inventory.

IMG_9555.webp

In Hollywood?

On 9/4/2024 at 7:09 PM, NoMan said:

I don't know what got me to thinking of these things. Do people collect them, if so, is there a "Grail" Big-Little Book?

Thanks in advance

No Holy Grails, per se.  Overstreet has always listed the first printing MM as most valuable, followed by Mother Goose and Dick Tracy (1st BLB book).  But there are also some rarities nearly impossible to find in complete condition... ones that came with coloring papers and crayons, some box sets, etc.

On 9/5/2024 at 10:11 AM, Bookery said:

No Holy Grails, per se.  Overstreet has always listed the first printing MM as most valuable, followed by Mother Goose and Dick Tracy (1st BLB book).  But there are also some rarities nearly impossible to find in complete condition... ones that came with coloring papers and crayons, some box sets, etc.

Yes, the latter as well as the boxed puzzles. 

On 9/5/2024 at 3:47 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

I had a whole bunch of them and my mom told me to give them to the neighbor kids when I was a teenager. Should have kept them.

Did you always do what you were told to do as a teenager? :devil:

I hid what my parents thought “objectionable” up in the tree house…:roflmao:

On 9/6/2024 at 8:19 AM, Robot Man said:

Did you always do what you were told to do as a teenager? :devil:

I hid what my parents thought “objectionable” up in the tree house…:roflmao:

No I did not, especially when I turned 15. My objectionable things were in a locked cabinet and we had a storage room with many cubby holes to hide things.:peace:

Cleaning out my parents condo I stumbled onto this book "Mickey Mouse's Uphill Fight" published by Whitman Publishing Company in 1934.

As you can see in the photo, the book is much smaller than the standard sized BLB published by Whitman. In this case "Mickey Mouse The Mail Pilot".

Any ideas on what is this smaller book and how it was distributed? 

It's unfortuate that the cover is damaged but remarkable that it wasn't thrown out with the trash.

Thanks!  

IMG_3806.JPEG

On 9/22/2024 at 6:44 PM, juniperpt said:

Cleaning out my parents condo I stumbled onto this book "Mickey Mouse's Uphill Fight" published by Whitman Publishing Company in 1934.

As you can see in the photo, the book is much smaller than the standard sized BLB published by Whitman. In this case "Mickey Mouse The Mail Pilot".

Any ideas on what is this smaller book and how it was distributed? 

It's unfortuate that the cover is damaged but remarkable that it wasn't thrown out with the trash.

Thanks!  

IMG_3806.JPEG

The lower book was part of a packaged set of Wee Little Books by Whitman. Most sets featured six books, and characters ranged from syndicated strips like Little Orphan Annie to fairy tales.