• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

It must be a dream come true! Share the story, Andrew.

Sure.

The weekend started with a jolt: a forwarded .url from a member of my extended network, pointing to an obscure hobby BB, where a new poster had shared pics of some very recent OA purchases, including a MICRONAUTS cover.

I was not a member of that BB, so it took a little back-and-forth-ing between myself, my agent, and the Seller to get directly in touch.

Even with as swiftly as I'd moved, it looked like another collector had stepped in and cherry-picked the best pieces out of the pile an hour or so before I made the connection. As quickly as we had moved, this guy had somehow moved quicker; unbelievable! This included pieces which had been seared into the back of my retinas since I was 17 years old. Frustrating in the extreme.

But I've been there before. Nothing to be done about it, really; and I resolved to trudge on with the remainder.

It left a huge pile of art still, and Seller Guy confirmed it was ALL Micronauts art from the early 80's; he'd found another old Micros collector who had been out of the hobby for years and years, and these pieces had been MIA all that time. The kind of find we ALL dream of here, amiright? Treasure!

Long story short, Seller Guy and I got along really well, and it looked likely that I'd be able to buy the remainder in one group.

Then, the next day, Seller Guy contacts me to ask: would I be interested and able to buy EVERYTHING, (including the previously cherry-picked unavailable ones) in one go?

Oh, G*wd YES!

I have been in the comic art hobby long enough to know that generally there aren't very many 2nd chances. But this was the exception.

Seller Guy personally drove up over the weekend, and we did the exchange at the Bank in my home town on Tuesday. So, it's already all over, the art is in my hands mere days after the initial email!

EIGHTY pages of Micronauts Art. Including Five Covers, One Back Cover, Two Double Splashes, Two Pinups, Four Title Splashes, One full splash, a handful of pages with my favorite villains, Baron Karza and even one with Doctor Doom!

And, yes, one of the covers is the only cover Frank Miller drew for MICRONAUTS. No Michael Golden pieces, though.

Sadly, on the flip side, First Buyer Guy swiftly got wind of the transaction and my identity, and sent along an email expressing his... (charitably speaking) displeasure and disappointment. Blunts the pleasure somewhat, but I have been on the receiving end of being 30 minutes too late too many times to have regrets.

First Buyer Guy is likely a member of this board, so, more I will not say.

So, one of the BIGGEST once-in-a-lifetime coups of my collecting career, delivered on a platter due to the eagle-eye'd attention of my network.

Edited by thethedew

So, one of the BIGGEST once-in-a-lifetime coups of my collecting career, delivered on a platter due to the eagle-eye'd attention of my network.

And that is why you share what you're into and after with a small trusted circle of other collectors. Scratch their back and the same will eventually come back. Had a similar package of what I'm into arrive summer 2014...I still haven't gotten over the giddiness and I don't think any other deal will ever match it -for quantity and quality. Very happy for you, that's quite a load of prime material :)

It must be a dream come true! Share the story, Andrew.

Sure.

The weekend started with a jolt: a forwarded .url from a member of my extended network, pointing to an obscure hobby BB, where a new poster had shared pics of some very recent OA purchases, including a MICRONAUTS cover.

I was not a member of that BB, so it took a little back-and-forth-ing between myself, my agent, and the Seller to get directly in touch.

Even with as swiftly as I'd moved, it looked like another collector had stepped in and cherry-picked the best pieces out of the pile an hour or so before I made the connection. As quickly as we had moved, this guy had somehow moved quicker; unbelievable! This included pieces which had been seared into the back of my retinas since I was 17 years old. Frustrating in the extreme.

But I've been there before. Nothing to be done about it, really; and I resolved to trudge on with the remainder.

It left a huge pile of art still, and Seller Guy confirmed it was ALL Micronauts art from the early 80's; he'd found another old Micros collector who had been out of the hobby for years and years, and these pieces had been MIA all that time. The kind of find we ALL dream of here, amiright? Treasure!

Long story short, Seller Guy and I got along really well, and it looked likely that I'd be able to buy the remainder in one group.

Then, the next day, Seller Guy contacts me to ask: would I be interested and able to buy EVERYTHING, (including the previously cherry-picked unavailable ones) in one go?

Oh, G*wd YES!

I have been in the comic art hobby long enough to know that generally there aren't very many 2nd chances. But this was the exception.

Seller Guy personally drove up over the weekend, and we did the exchange at the Bank in my home town on Tuesday. So, it's already all over, the art is in my hands mere days after the initial email!

EIGHTY pages of Micronauts Art. Including Six Covers, One Back Cover, Two Double Splashes, Two Pinups, Four Title Splashes, One full splash, a handful of pages with my favorite villains, Baron Karza and even one with Doctor Doom!

And, yes, one of the covers is the only cover Frank Miller drew for MICRONAUTS. No Michael Golden pieces, though.

Sadly, on the flip side, First Buyer Guy swiftly got wind of the transaction and my identity, and sent along an email expressing his... (charitably speaking) displeasure and disappointment. Blunts the pleasure somewhat, but I have been on the receiving end of being 30 minutes too late too many times to have regrets.

First Buyer Guy is likely a member of this board, so, more I will not say.

Wow, that's a great story! Hopefully we will see the art soon here or on CAF.

Some really cool acquisitions that I hadn't posted yet, so here they are:

Thor by Das Pastoras, with some background here on CAF:

JBO4iGuA_1203161943101.jpg

____

Captain America by Leinil Yu, with some background here on CAF:

qF5Zti6r_1203161943351.jpg

____

Mary Jane Watson by Sara Pichelli, with some background here on CAF:

FbSoJZES_1203161943281.jpeg

____

Daredevil by Elia Bonetti, with some background here on CAF:

kBqoNHNB_1203161943191.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

This week...?

How about...

EIGHTY newly-unearthed MICRONAUTS pages?

CURY6ZZ.jpg

Going to take awhile to get them organized...

Wow! Mind.Blown. That picture gives me chills. I can’t even imagine scoring a Hulk stack like that. Congrats – it’s great to hear stories like this still happen. So glad this went to you and not some of the dealers around this hobby.

Grabbed this a few weeks ago and just picked it up from being framed. My first published piece. Chew volume 5 HC cover.. Some reason it uploaded it sideways and sorry about the glare from lights.

sy8lzn.jpg[/img]