• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Nov 21-24
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I did a lot of research on that New Mutants run.  Cool history behind it.  During the 90s Rob used pencils on much smaller, thin paper which he would then Xerox to enlarge.  From here, either he or Marat Mychaels would place the Bristol board down over these enlarged facsimile and either tightly pencil or ink.

For more information straight from Rob and Marat about his process during this time check out the following Robservations podcasts at the specified time stamps. 

The Making of Deadpool part 3 - 52:00; 1:09:00

Here is the original penciled version for this same page which sold a while back on Heritage and is currently traveling with the Marvel Exhibition courtesy of Semmel.

IMG_3669.thumb.jpeg.20011c1c2b37b7ad63470fb4920a4e17.jpeg 

Edited by Xatari

On 9/16/2024 at 10:00 AM, Peter G said:

All I am going to say is glad I don’t collect Deadpool and really glad I don’t like Leifeld artwork :sick:

The Eerie 1 cover posting yesterday really grabbed my attention. Its a fun exercise to look at the Nov auction page, in particular the thumbnails, to compare the NM 98 to something like the Eerie cover. I cannot tell what I am looking at with the former, just a very different style I suppose. 

Edited by cstojano

On 9/17/2024 at 10:13 AM, cstojano said:

The Eerie 1 cover posting yesterday really grabbed my attention. Its a fun exercise to look at the Nov auction page, in particular the thumbnails, to compare the NM 98 to something like the Eerie cover. I cannot tell what I am looking at with the former, just a very different style I suppose. 

I know which one I'd rather spend the next few years looking at.    That being said, one is mainstream media and one isn't, so....... yeah.    Very different styles and probably very different purchaser profiles too.  

On 9/17/2024 at 7:52 AM, grapeape said:

Is it the whole 'can't draw feet' slander? :)

"Truth" , it is said, is an absolute defense to a charge of slander. 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:00 AM, Peter G said:

....the Trimpe Hulk 180 page sold for $650k, and that was TEN YEARS AGO!

What are predictions on this one? 

On 9/17/2024 at 12:35 PM, J.Sid said:

....the Trimpe Hulk 180 page sold for $650k, and that was TEN YEARS AGO!

What are predictions on this one? 

That was a bit more of a singular, identifiable, example...the one page from that one issue that was indisputably the page that started it all for that character. Tends to lead to a more focused blood-sport bidding situation than one of many pages with the cover to the same issue also out there and available. 
So, it's not the best apples-to-apples....if we had some pages from 181 out there, that would feel more same end of the same pool at the same temperature kind of situation.