• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

387 posts in this topic

My gut tells be that a prominent collector / dealer called CGC before sending in these books via UV and specifically told them he was purposely holding onto these books until CGC's stance on 9.9s and 10.0s changed. I'm not saying this was an inside job, but I bet the grader had some prior notification to look for some sort of 9.9 prescreening. Let's be honest here, if any of us submitted these exact same books via any tier, the chances of us getting even 1 9.9 grade would be 1 in 100.

On 10/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, skybolt said:

My gut tells be that a prominent collector / dealer called CGC before sending in these books via UV and specifically told them he was purposely holding onto these books until CGC's stance on 9.9s and 10.0s changed. I'm not saying this was an inside job, but I bet the grader had some prior notification to look for some sort of 9.9 prescreening. Let's be honest here, if any of us submitted these exact same books via any tier, the chances of us getting even 1 9.9 grade would be 1 in 100.

And that is the problem. 

On 10/18/2024 at 10:28 AM, MadGenius said:

Also, if any buyer is willing to pay 10-20x the value of a 9.8 for a miswrapped 9.9 they are dumb.

100%. I'm okay with 9.8 having a miswrap but even then I'm not paying FMV. No different if the pages aren't white. It's acceptable at a 9.8 but it's not selling for a "premium'. Once you say 9.9, that translates to "Mint" and "Mint" doesn't have miswraps, printer defects, off-white pages or ANYTHING worthy of a grader's note.

On 10/18/2024 at 9:12 AM, skybolt said:

I would bet that the books are 9.8s and encapsulated incorrectly as 9.9s. Looking at this example, I thought that a book had to be perfectly centered to be considered a 9.9. This book definitely has a slight miscut along the spine from top (no white is showing) to bottom.

image.png.1782e72c5ae162c3a61e8597c40db9d7.png

I looked at the scan for this on CGCs website.  It has a few noticeable markings on the right edge and corners to go with the miswrap.  Looks no different than many of the somewhat older 9.8s.  Looks much better than the recent 9.8s I have seen for sale that have color breaking spine ticks though….  The new norm?  Everyone start paying to have your 9.8s resubmitted!!!

On 10/18/2024 at 5:56 AM, BEAUMONTS said:

The only next logical step for CGC after pumping the 9.9 and 10 balloon in the forseeable future is then roll out a new tier.  Possibly a Metropolsucks inspired incremental grading system.

Possibly a 10.1 Ultra Mint Clown White Pages to whomp those lowly 9.9's and super common 10's, then keep on going incrementally from there . Like greed the sky is the limit.  

image.gif.506a761e2542cc1ff5ead150cbf77111.gif

On 10/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, skybolt said:

The graphs recently shown don't back this up.  I think it would be correct to say the odds would have been 1 in 100 a year or two ago but for some reason it's becoming much more common.  I doubt the quality of submitted books have gotten that much better (at least to the degree seen in the graphs) so it has to be a loosening of standards for those grades.  I don't have a dog in the fight since I don't even chase 9.8s let along higher grades but the data coming in has to be concerning for those that do.

On 10/18/2024 at 5:56 AM, BEAUMONTS said:

The only next logical step for CGC after pumping the 9.9 and 10 balloon in the forseeable future is then roll out a new tier.  Possibly a Metropolsucks inspired incremental grading system.

Possibly a 10.1 Ultra Mint Clown White Pages to whomp those lowly 9.9's and super common 10's, then keep on going incrementally from there . Like greed the sky is the limit.  

“clown white pages” :roflmao: