• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

Let's not forget the comic collecting lead character in The 40-Year Old Virgin. blush.gif893whatthe.gif He's shown reading a comic in one scene, a framed comic or two is hanging on his wall (some Modern drek) and some comic boxes are shown in his apartment along with various comic-related paraphernalia.

The Ice Storm featured Fantastic Four #141. Tobey Maguire's character was reading it on a train.

In Crimson Tide, two crewmen argue about whose version of the Silver Surfer was better, Kirby or Moebius. Denzel says they're both wrong; it's John Buscema's.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this.

In SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, in the scene where Andy locks the guard in the bathroom, the guard is reading an "Archie's Pal Jughead" #9.

Clerks... I think... had the infamous... back alley purchase of the Amazing Spider-Man #129... the 1st Punisher. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I dunno what movie you are talking about here...and only movie I know of that mentions this comic is Coyotee Ugly. But I can tell you for a fact it most definately wasn't Clerks or any other Keven Smith Movie.

I know there was a Wonder Woman comic shown in Midnight Cowboy. I'm pretty sure it was this one WonderWoman178.jpg A little girl on the bus is shown reading it.

Also the ASM 1 stolen in the episode of Different Strokes was really an ASM 14 but they called it Spider-Man 1. When the book is shown it is definitely the classic Green Goblin cover with the yellow colored cave.

If any of you have ever seen Lolita, the 1997 version with Dominique Swain you will notice in one scene while in the hotel she is reading a golden age comic. I am not sure which it is, but it appears to be an Action comic or possible a True Comics or something of the sort. I have always remembered that.

Simpsons : Too many to list, but here are a few -

Homer becomes the Hulk with a cameo by Stan Lee.

Homer becomes Mr. Burns' man Friday and goes into the comic store, buys a NM copy of ASM 1 and precedes to tear it into pieces !

Krusty, being taunted by his accountants that he's spending too much money, lights a cigar with a copy of Action 1. (this is a brillant gag)

I believe the show "THE OC" has a character that is a comic geek. - That's what I've been told.

Family Guy also has a ton of referances to Hulk and the Adam West Batman series....

BTW - Redhook had a thread about a JIM 83 and a AF 15 in a store window but I can't think of the name of the movie or the name of the thread. Christo_pull_hair.gif

It was on TV, in the NAKED CITY episode "Hold For Gloria Christmas." Burgess Meredith plays an alcoholic poet who sells his manuscripts then steals them back from the buyer. At the beginning of the show he has an altercation with a newsstand seller, and among the items hanging from the stand are those two books, which stay visible in the background most of the time they're talking - particularly the AF15. Of course this was 1962 so they were just comic books, but possibly those covers caught the eye of the show's art director.

Incidentally, the same episode features early appearances by Alan Alda and Jessica Walter - and a very brief appearance by Candace Hilligoss of "Carnival Of Souls."

The Simpsons: Three Men And A Comic Book (episode 34)

Originally aired: Thursday May 9, 1991 on FOX

Bart becomes obsessed with buying the first issue of Radioactive Man, but can't scrape together the $100 he needs to make it his own. So, he gets small jobs selling lemonade and illegally, beer. Then he gets hired to work for Mrs. Glick, the old lady down the street and only gets 50 cents for his efforts. So his total is only $35.

Enlisting Milhouse and Martin Prince, Bart is finally able to buy the comic, even though he only possesses one third of it. But things get hairy when none of them can decide who gets to keep it or for how long. The three enter into a dangerous confrontation that threatens to destroy not only their precious investment, but their friendships as well.

Homer becomes Mr. Burns' man Friday and goes into the comic store, buys a NM copy of ASM 1 and precedes to tear it into pieces!

No, no. He EATS IT!

054.jpg055.jpg056.jpg057.jpg

And ASM 129 is featured prominently in Coyote Ugly. I recently saw it again for the first time since 2000 (back before I wasn't a comic collector).

BTW - here's a neat website on the subject.

1053404-KrustyAction1.jpg.c15a2c1c5d1205db7901265012f237ab.jpg

Krusty, being taunted by his accountants that he's spending too much money, lights a cigar with a copy of Action 1. (this is a brillant gag)

A classic thumbsup2.gif

Hilarious !

Ah, nothing better than a cigar lit with a six-figure comic book.

1053404-KrustyAction1.jpg

A classic thumbsup2.gif

Hilarious !

That was a reprint.

There is no yellow on the bumper and no sweat comming off the forehead of the guy up front

That was a reprint.

There is no yellow on the bumper and no sweat comming off the forehead of the guy up front

No rocks in the upper right either. Someone should buy a reprint and pose for a picture like this. 27_laughing.gif

[Cue Newt Samson poke2.gif]

Radar was often seen reading comic books (usually ones published after the Korean war!)

mash.jpg

Yes, in one episode he is on the phone thanking someone from another Mash unit "thanks for the loan of your Captain Marvel".