• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

In Back to the Future after Marty crashes into old man Peabody's barn, Peabody's kid holds up a copy of Tales From Space #8 to show pop that it aint no airplane. Not a real comic book, but still an effective use of the medium. According to the DVD commentary, the creators don't know who has it, or if it still exists, but if you do, check out my sig. This is a one of a kind grail, literally.

In the Goonies, Mikey is seen reading a Mad Magazine. There is also a deleted scene where Mikey solves the fold-in cover---later he has to fold the map to reveal a clue. If you'd like to argue that Mad Magazine is not a comic book go ahead--you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but go ahead.

I also remember an episode of the New Leave it to Beaver (from the 80s) where Ms Cleaver threw away the boy's copy of Fantastic Four #1. I seem to recall a scene where they were even at the dump sifting through piles of garbage ( it was worth $1000!). I can remember thinking, what's more sad, that FF 1 in the garbage, or Wally and the Beav living with mom in their 40s.

Along the lines of Tales From Space #8, Is the Hellboy from the movie that looks like a SA Marvel real or is that a mock-up?

In Back to the Future after Marty crashes into old man Peabody's barn, Peabody's kid holds up a copy of Tales From Space #8 to show pop that it aint no airplane. Not a real comic book, but still an effective use of the medium. According to the DVD commentary, the creators don't know who has it, or if it still exists, but if you do, check out my sig. This is a one of a kind grail, literally.

p_bttf%7E1.jpg

It looks like an airplane.... without wings!

talesmov.jpg

He's mutated into human form! Shoot it!

talesm%7E2.jpg

Take that you mutated sonofaperson_without_enough_empathy!

More info on one of the three actual existing copies. smile.gif Amazing site and an amazing collection.

This one goes way back to 1952.

television... FUNNY PAPER THEATER. This is from the book "Golden Age of Chicago Children's Television by Ted Okuda & Jack Mulqueen". FUNNY PAPER THEATER ran on WGN in 1952 in Chicago. Station announcer Art Linick, called "Uncle Art" on the show, would read comic books and newspaper funnies to an in-studio audience of children.

Sounds kind of boring, but I'd love to see it just to see what comics he was reading to the kids.

There was a bad movie out about 5-6 years ago called the Comic Book Murders or something similar, where these guys found an old lady with a collection and the collectors and dealers are killing each other over it. I was enthralled at how terrible it was, but the subject matter was so interesting...

Also, in the World According to Garp, there are real Golden Age comics that were used as props in the movie. Very cool.

There was a bad movie out about 5-6 years ago called the Comic Book Murders or something similar, where these guys found an old lady with a collection and the collectors and dealers are killing each other over it. I was enthralled at how terrible it was, but the subject matter was so interesting...

Also, in the World According to Garp, there are real Golden Age comics that were used as props in the movie. Very cool.

Comic Book Villians. not terrible. no Casablanca, but not terrible

There's an episode of Adventures of Superman(George Reeves) where Clark walks by a newsstand filled with DC comics. I have it on video somewhere.

The episode is titled MYSTERY IN WAX. I just watched it yesterday. Its on the 1st season DVD set of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. You can clearly see Mr. District. Attorney, Action, Superman, and others on the news stand rack. The scene is near the end of the program. I'll see if I can I.D. some of the issues shown.

Comic Book Villians. not terrible. no Casablanca, but not terrible

That movie rocked!

I enjoyed it greatly smile.gif I have recommended this to many a collector and they all agreed... worth watching!

Johnny gives it a thumbsup2.gif

The kid in Transamerica is reading a comic book (Can't tell which one since I haven't freeze-framed it, etc.) in the hotel with his dad/mom.