• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

bumpit.gif

I saw the world premiere of "The Gardener of Eden" last night at the Tribeca Film Festival. It is about a hard-luck guy living in a small town in New Jersey who, while drunk, ends up beating up a serial rapist, becomes a hero and thinks he's found his calling in life. I would call it a "dark comedy" with some superhero elements, kind of a cross between "Clerks" and "Unbreakable". There is one scene that takes place in front of a comic book shop and there are a lot of books in the window...the only issue I could identify definitively was New Mutants #6 (with the Silver Samurai). There are some other comic book elements mixed in, especially the ending. I would highly recommend it to everyone here once it gets picked up and distributed.

The after-party was cool too...through my friends who co-produced the film, I met director Kevin Connolly ("E" from HBO's "Entourage") and lead actress Erika Christensen ("Swimfan") there. Co-producer Leonardo DiCaprio was also in attendance, along with lead actor Lukas Haas, P. Diddy, Serena Williams, Seth Green, and more "models and bottles" than I've ever seen assembled in one room. headbang.gif

Funny that "comics in movies" and the Tribeca Film Festival would come up...

There's also a new documentary about Will Eisner which is having its premiere there. Just heard about this. Check it out:

http://www.montillapictures.com/

bumpit.gif

I saw the world premiere of "The Gardener of Eden" last night at the Tribeca Film Festival. It is about a hard-luck guy living in a small town in New Jersey who, while drunk, ends up beating up a serial rapist, becomes a hero and thinks he's found his calling in life. I would call it a "dark comedy" with some superhero elements, kind of a cross between "Clerks" and "Unbreakable". There is one scene that takes place in front of a comic book shop and there are a lot of books in the window...the only issue I could identify definitively was New Mutants #6 (with the Silver Samurai). There are some other comic book elements mixed in, especially the ending. I would highly recommend it to everyone here once it gets picked up and distributed.

The after-party was cool too...through my friends who co-produced the film, I met director Kevin Connolly ("E" from HBO's "Entourage") and lead actress Erika Christensen ("Swimfan") there. Co-producer Leonardo DiCaprio was also in attendance, along with lead actor Lukas Haas, P. Diddy, Serena Williams, Seth Green, and more "models and bottles" than I've ever seen assembled in one room. headbang.gif

I heard that the Tribeca festival wasn't doing so great. And that it was questionable on whether it would continue in future years.

In the first season of LOST, the black kid is reading a spanish copy of a DC comic (Flash?)

Walt was reading through the Spanish reprint of Flash/Green Lantern: Faster Friends.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaalt's comic book

images%5Cscreen_captures%5CS1E14_Comic_Book.jpg

Television... Seven Days.

Season One, Episode 20 "Walter" May 19, 1999[1]

Mission: Parker is sent back to capture Walter, an insufficiently_thoughtful_person savant working for the Bela-Russians. Walter has broken a code, giving the Bela-Russians the information they need to locate and kill numerous CIA agents.

Walter collects comic books and one scene is in a comic book store where all the employees are killed by assassins after Franks buys Walter an issue of the comic book series he's collecting (for something like $175.00).

Also, Darlene in Roseanne has posters of comics up on her bedroom wall:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094540/trivia

Sometimes, posters for the comic book "The Sandman" can be seen in Darlene's bedroom. These were suggested by then-writer Joss Whedon

Edited by sckao

• Administrator

television....This is a bit of a stretch, but on an older episode of "MTV's Cribs" I clearly remember that Jon Leguizamo had a bathroom in his house that he had wallpapered using comic books. He said this way you can just sit and read them without handling them...I thought it was mentioned on the boards before, but it is not in this thread. :sumo:

I think there's a copy of dreadstar annual #1 on the floor in a flashback scene in Robocop. Either that or I'm wrong.

Watched it on Blu Ray yesterday.

This guy is about to hold up the convenience store.

Typical reaction to 80's Marvels.

DSC00151.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Amazing is #236...came out about 4 years before this movie did.

I think there's a copy of dreadstar annual #1 on the floor in a flashback scene in Robocop. Either that or I'm wrong.

Watched it on Blu Ray yesterday.

This guy is about to hold up the convenience store.

Typical reaction to 80's Marvels.

DSC00151.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Amazing is #236...came out about 4 years before this movie did.

Looks like a Beta Ray Bill Thor issue

He's holding a IRON MAN

Here is what is in the rack that I can figure out so far. Don't know the numbers though, just titles.

Top roll: ROM, Alpha Flight, Avengers?, ???.

2nd roll down: The New Mutants,CONAN, Metamophro, ????, ????.

3rd roll down: Annual of some kind, KING-SIZE annual of some kind, ASM, ???, ASM.

4th roll down: Deadstar Annual, Thor, ROM, ???, ???.

5th roll down: ???, Captain America, ROM, ???

6th roll down: ???, ???, ???.

7th last roll: ASM, ???

Great find. Didn't even remember this scene and I've watched this movie several time.

I know I've mentioned this somewhere before, but I don't see it in here, but in the movie Halloween, young Tommy Doyle has a collecton of comics where you can see a Howard the Duck #26 and an X-Men comic.

On DVD, I could only malke out the HTD book, but I later noticed while watching a special one night movie theater showing last year that the X-Men book can be clearly seen as well..forgot the dang number though. doh!