• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

I am sure there is a scene in "Summer Of "42" where Hermie (Gary Grimes) goes into a drug store (for ice cream, sprinkles and prophylactics) and there is a large display of Golden Age books on a rack. Don't have the DVD so cannot determine if they are props or the genuine article, but given the flick was released in 1971 I'd lean towards them being genuine.

I watched Stolen Summer last night. (Sappy, sentimental dreck with some seriously sloppy theology, unbelievable dialog, and some made-for-TV child performances). There are a couple scenes with the main character, an eight-year-old boy, trying to sell lemonade. While waiting for customers, he is reading a Fantastic Four from the mid 70's. In a later scene, there is a Howard the Duck #4 lying on the same table.

There is an episode of I think Bones (I'm not so sure about that) but I remember a Superman comic being shown. The show itself was about a comic geek who really it took to the streets (costume and all) and ended up getting killed. At any rate, the victim's first name and his artist's last name (that could be the other way around - but I'm going with that however as it makes more sense) respectively were "Warren' and 'Ellis'.

Funny, I remember the detail, just not sure on the show (probably due to only having 4 channels that show standard programing and 75% of them being legal/crime/forensic BS). I was giving this show a chance because it was about comics. thumbsup2.gif

If it Bones - and if it has multiple seasons - I'd suggest it was last season as we are generally a year behind.

Edited by Jay Tomio

In the movie "Detroit Rock City" there is a sweet scene in a convenience store with a spinner rack full of 35 cent comics. One of the protagonists then picks up one of the Marvel Super Special KISS Magazines.

In the movie THE DEPARTED, Jack Nicholson makes a shopkeeper give the child version of Matt Damon's character some groceries. He also shoves a copy of a WOLVERINE comic into the grocery bag. thumbsup2.gif

I remember seeing a move about 15 years ago called "The WIzard of Speed and TIme" where a guy has a yard sale to raise money for a film he's trying to make. He has a pile of comics with a sign saying "25 cents each" or "50 cents each" or something. Anyhow, if I remember correctly, two of the comics they show him selling are Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spider-Man 1.

Drugstore Cowboy - Great Gus Van Sant movie starring Matt Dillon. In the movie, a character fakes an epileptic seizure in a drug store and knocks over a spinner rack of comics. For some reason I remember Zell the Sword Dancer being one of the comics. Mainly because it was published 20 years after the time in which the movie takes place. Check this flick out if you haven't already.

It was already mentioned in this thread, but I loved the idea of comics as survival manuals against vampires in The Lost Boys.

bumpit.gif

In the Cape Fear remake, the first scene with Robert Deniro working out in his jail cell, a couple butchered covers of Captain Marvel ( Marvel Comics) hanging on his cell wall.....

thumbsup2.gif

Bump