• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

I guess Brad has a different idea of straightforward and upright tan the rest of the world.

You know Shad....you are a big misanthropic [embarrassing lack of self control]. This is the first I know of this sequence of events. Why the personal attack?

This is the first time I heard about the book moving on from Doug. Needless to say, it's disappointing and knocks the legs out of my argument in the other thread.

What's your view now?

Jim

8) Doug also said that he didn't know for sure that the book was trimmed (Qualitycomix had sent him a "before" scan, but Doug said he didn't remember receiving it) so there was no reason to believe Qualitycomix, especially since the book had been thru CGC's hands twice. (Doug had resubbed it again trying for a 9.6 grade.)

A 9.6 and a nice new "clean" serial number? I think this resub is key to Doug's intentions. If it had been resubbed specifically to check for Ewert trimming and still got past with a blue label, then I would say Doug had done everything he needed to do, even if it was a little shady to try and slip it under the radar via Heritage.

If, however, he submitted it blind hoping it would slip by and get a laundered serial #, then that's a different story.

BTW, my memory is a little rusty, but wasn't one of the trimmed FFs consigned on Pedigree as well?

Yes.....as a refresher.....

timeline.jpg

If you remember, I was questioning the Pacific Coast Daredevils on Pedigree too at the time. That got me a discount on all my purchases from Doug. makepoint.gif

I guess Brad has a different idea of straightforward and upright tan the rest of the world.

You know Shad....you are a big misanthropic [embarrassing lack of self control]. This is the first I know of this sequence of events. Why the personal attack?

This is the first time I heard about the book moving on from Doug. Needless to say, it's disappointing and knocks the legs out of my argument in the other thread.

What's your view now?

Jim

I learned about this about 15 minutes ago from BronzeBruce who called me. I have to read this through again. It ain't good. It ain't good.

Brad

this isn't about Brad, guys.

focus on the real problem.

the one piece of information it would be nice to get is whether or not Doug told CGC when he resubmitted it that it was from Ewert, or if he just sent it in blind hoping for a grade bump

What's your view now?

Jim

I learned about this about 15 minutes ago from BronzeBruce who called me. I have to read this through again. It ain't good. It ain't good.

Brad

Gotta be careful who you defend in this environment...sad but true...

Jim

the one piece of information it would be nice to get is whether or not Doug told CGC when he resubmitted it that it was from Ewert, or if he just sent it in blind hoping for a grade bump

Thank you. Jeez!

What's your view now?

Jim

Brad

Gotta be careful who you defend in this environment...sad but true...

Jim

I'm just sorry that Brent didn't fill me in on the rest of this earlier. I guess he had his reasons.

Do you really beleive it didn't cross his mind this was an Ewert slab? Considering all the action it's generated on this Forum? He has to be blind and dumb.to say otherwise... makepoint.gif

Jim

Brad,

Perhaps you can explain why your entire contribution to this thread was a "yikes' and several attempts to diffuse the thread by tossing in levity.

As I noted,IF, the sequence was accurate,and you were informed by Brent about this book months ago,your silence on this thread is quite puzzling.

So,were you aware that this was the same book you were told was trimmed by Brent?You can't say you were unaware of this thread because you participate in it.Having read this thread as as it developed,the lack of your usual bulldogged determination to get to the bottom of such frauds perplexed me. Everytime I thought you'd jump in with both barrels blasting,I get a joke instead.Now it turns out you were aware of this book and its ownership from the getgo. What do mean by "this is the first time I heard about this book moving on from Doug?"

I'm just sorry that Brent didn't fill me in on the rest of this earlier. I guess he had his reasons.

Don't blame Brent...you're going on blind faith despite the evidence in front of you...I can't believe you're that naive...

Jim

Do you really beleive it didn't cross his mind this was an Ewert slab? Considering all the action it's generated on this Forum? He has to be blind and dumb.to say otherwise... makepoint.gif

Jim

it doesn't really matter what i believe or not. i don't know. just believing - or assuming - one way or the other isn't really good enough for me to condemn him over that aspect of this whole thing. you may have a different threshold, which of course is fine.

that being said, it looks really bad for Mr. Schmell. of course, the kind of books he's selling aren't the kind of books i collect, so my opinion isn't going to affect his business one way or the other

Don't blame Brent...you're going on blind faith despite the evidence in front of you...I can't believe you're that naive...

Jim

You're confused. What am I going on about? I told you it was bad news, right?

Jim

You're confused. What am I going on about? I told you it was bad news, right?

I'm referring your non-committal stance in the other thread....a good guy doesn't translate to a ethical guy...

Jim

I, for one, would enjoy a discussion that focuses on facts and issues, and avoids personal comments. Speaking of the facts, there is some information that is missing before I can draw my own conclusions about the grading of this book by CGC and selling on Heritage.

First issue: Brulato has stated publicly his willingness to reimburse anyone who purchased a book found later to have been trimmed while under Jason Ewert's control. So: why wouldn't an owner of a Ewert/Brulato book alert CGC to this provenance during the resubmission process or, alternatively, just sell the book back to Brulato?

Second issue: why would the trimming be missed a second time by an ostensibly alert and newly-educated CGC?

Third issue: having passed through CGC hands a second time with an unrestored blue label, could a dealer sell this book with a reasonable expectation that it is, indeed, unrestored?

Fourth issue (a position statement): for CGC restoration detection to have any credibility going forward, it must institute some sort of digital recordkeeping to identify books such as this that have received a hard-to-detect microtrim.

I, for one, would enjoy a discussion that focuses on facts and issues, and avoids personal comments. Speaking of the facts, there is some information that is missing before I can draw my own conclusions about the grading of this book by CGC and selling on Heritage.

First issue: Brulato has stated publicly his willingness to reimburse anyone who purchased a book found later to have been trimmed while under Jason Ewert's control. So: why wouldn't an owner of a Ewert/Brulato book alert CGC to this provenance during the resubmission process or, alternatively, just sell the book back to Brulato?

Second issue: why would the trimming be missed a second time by an ostensibly alert and newly-educated CGC?

Third issue: having passed through CGC hands a second time with an unrestored blue label, could a dealer sell this book with a reasonable expectation that it is, indeed, unrestored?

Fourth issue (a position statement): for CGC restoration detection to have any credibility going forward, it must institute some sort of digital recordkeeping to identify books such as this that have received a hard-to-detect microtrim.

Good luck on that...CGC has been mum lately....

Jim

Being a member of the "top tier" Doug evidently felt he could get the book thru with a clean bill of health. With a new CGC#,the book was worth more than just getting his money refunded by Brulato.If it got caught,he always had he fallback of sending it to Brulato.

Or perhaps something more sinister was involved.

Being a member of the "top tier" Doug evidently felt he could get the book thru with a clean bill of health. With a new CGC#,the book was worth more than just getting his money refunded by Brulato.If it got caught,he always had he fallback of sending it to Brulato.

Spell it out, big guy.

Or perhaps having just received a blue label from CGC, a dealer might sell the book thinking it was unrestored. Just a thought.