• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

I contacted Steve and he said he will look into this. For what it's worth, he said no one had previously contacted him about this thread until I sent him the email.

Guys, if you want to make sure that Steve looks at a thread, take the extra 15 seconds to either PM him or email him.

Will do in future but I find it hard to believe he hasn't looked at the boards in the last 24 hours given what has happened. This is right next to the main thread that is some 50 pages long, how could he miss it.

The point is why give him an excuse to say he hasn't seen it? Take the 15 seconds to send him an email or PM, and then there's no way he can claim he hasn't seen it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Noted but it sounded like an excuse to me that's all.

Noticve when anything damning about anybody, they almost always say "no comment" because "I haven't seen XXX"...

Nah, Dwarves go for the crotch or the knees. But you'll have the reach in hand to hand combat.

thumbsup2.gif

You've been picking on the neighbourhood dwarf family? confused-smiley-013.gif

Vertically challenged!!!

That's ok...with your history, it's only a matter of time before you're passed out drunk again in a public place...lying in a pile of your own vomit...and then POW...a bloody nose to go with your red pants. boo.gif

What a vicious little err, little person. boo.gif

-damn you Ewert! This book is a testimony in living color to what a [embarrassing lack of self control] you are!!!

Kudos to you Brent for the eagle eye! Words getting out hopefully CGC will be forced to take legal action against Ewert to save their reputation!

Isn’t it clear that the whole – burn Ewert at the stake – is midsirection? Your comment reminded me of some things discussed in the other trimming fiasco thread from a few months back - so these are general comments (not directed at your post).

I want to make it clear that I think the grading company concept is value-added to the hobby. I simply believe that its implementation is falling short. I believe (even if I am an attorney) that people should take responsibility for their actions. And, when someone is in a position of power, they should step up and accept that responsibility, not hide behind policies (or allow themselves to be complacent or enabled by cheerleaders).

As I stated in the Trimming Fiasco thread, I believe the opinions being posted about CGC taking legal action against the person that received blue labels on trimmed books completely miss the point. Let’s keep our collective eye on the ball - CGC is not the one being harmed. Even though CGC simply provides an opinion, as a practical matter, we all know that people are paying a premium for CGC-slabbed books because of what CGC is telling us about the books.

If a dealer tells you that a raw book is unrestored, the dealer is making the claim. If the dealer submits the books to CGC, then the dealer makes no claim about the book. If CGC decides that the book is unrestored and blue labels it, then who is making the claim about the book? Not the dealer. So who bares the responsibility/blame? Consider the following (not-perfectly-analogous) analogy:

Someone is suspected of committing a crime. For this analogy, let's assume suspects voluntarily turn themselves in and truthfully present all the facts (pro and con) to the court. The judge (no jury involved) finds the defendant not guilty – even though all necessary evidence was there to prove otherwise. On appeal (in real life), the only thing that will be considered on appeal (on this type of simple fact pattern) is whether the court properly did its job (in applying the law to the facts). Well, in the context of the trimming fiasco and now the Mile High Boy Comics fiasco, the court is CGC. Thus, saying that CGC should pursue legal action against Ewert is almost like saying that the trial court, if it finds someone not guilty, should pursue legal action against the defendant it let off.

For all my fellow attorneys that may want to divert this discussion to argue the fine points of my analogy, you’ll note my caveat above, and I would ask that we stay on the point.

Some might say that CGC was also harmed. To this I say – how? CGC has no vested interest in any book's sale, nor prices realized as a direct result of CGC’s seal of approval. Some might say CGC suffered a loss of reputation. CGC, however, hasn’t been besmirched by any submitter’s act. Submitters of the trimmed books/MH Boy Comics book did what any/every other submitter does – they sent books in to be graded, period. It’s irrelevant if a particular submitter knew his book had restoration, and this should make not the slightest difference in how CGC performs its job. CGC’s job does not rely on forthcoming submitters (if all sellers were honest and forthcoming, would we even need a CGC?). CGC relies solely on the talent reviewing the books. CGC’s marketing tells you that it is expert in discovering restoration, implying that you can put your trust in its services. And we do, as proven by the prices we pay to get books slabbed and the higher-than-raw prices paid by us for CGC-slabbed books.

Again, my post is not meant as an attack. I’m simply disappointed with recent events, as CGC’s credibility has never been lower to me. It doesn’t help that my Open Letter to Steve Borock, in which I asked some perfectly valid simple questions about the MH Boy Comics fiasco - goes unanswered or maybe ignored.

Maybe I’ll stick to buying raw books at shows, where I can go back to using my 25+ years of experience that worked just fine before CGC and the no-refund dealers came along.