• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

I spoke with Mark (esquirecomics) and we both agreed that in light of the circumstances that have presented themselves in the past few days that I should post this info regarding the Journey #92 Trimmed book. These are the facts as I remember them to the best of my knowledge:

1) Qualitycomix emailed Redhook about the JIM #92 saying it was a trimming suspect and that it was on Doug's Schmell's site (PedigreeComics).

2) Although Redhook didn't respond to the email, it appears he did contact Doug to inform him of the suspect book on his site.

3) Qualitycomix then emailed Doug and said that the book was probably trimmed. He included the before scan so Doug would have something to compare it to.

4) Doug replied that he already knew about it (thru Red Hook) and that he would take care of it. Doug also mentioned that a previous buyer had fallen thru for the book, and that he had to keep it because he had already forwarded the money for the book to Brulato/Ewert.

5) Months later, the book appears on Heritage. This is when Qualitycomix decided it was necessary to post the book on the boards to alert everyone.

7) Doug indicated to Qualitycomix that he had forgotten about the book and that he wished he had remembered because then he could've gotten his money back from Brulato.

8) Doug also said that he didn't know for sure that the book was trimmed (Qualitycomix had sent him a "before" scan, but Doug said he didn't remember receiving it) so there was no reason to believe Qualitycomix, especially since the book had been thru CGC's hands twice. (Doug had resubbed it again trying for a 9.6 grade.)

foreheadslap.gif

Was Doug still the current owner when it was consigned to Heritage?

Yes, he consigned it to heritage.

I see. So, can someone please explain to me why a full-time dealer with their own web site specializing in high grade comics would need to consign a book to a competitor? Wait, I think I already know the answer...

I see. So, can someone please explain to me why a full-time dealer with their own web site specializing in high grade comics would need to consign a book to a competitor? Wait, I think I already know the answer...

Wellllllll, to be fair, there are alternative reasons that could apply.

I consigned some really beautiful books to Heritage this past auction b/c (1) I owed them money and (2) clearly they attract FAR more attention from their clientele than I can at this time.

And then there are other possible reasons too, of course.

You'd be surprised how many of the dealers "cross-pollinate" other sites, particularly Heritage. I know Doug has sold on Heritage in the past. But this one definitely doesn't look good.

You'd be surprised how many of the dealers "cross-pollinate" other sites, particularly Heritage. I know Doug has sold on Heritage in the past. But this one definitely doesn't look good.

I know many as well. Heck, Steve Geppi consigned books to Heritage as recently as this past month and he has his OWN auction house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif

Of all the millions of comic books in existence, that was just about the worst one to consign! foreheadslap.gif

I guess what I'm saying is consigning on Heritage is not automatically suspect, because his previous consignments of other books may have been completely innocent, but the actions here are HIGHLY suspect.

It's minor compared to what's going on now, and I'm not going to be accused of pushing a vendetta/agenda.

foreheadslap.gif

P.M. it to me and I'll post it! makepoint.gif

They they can accuse me of pushing a vendetta/agenda and I'll tell them to go to hell.

I spoke with Mark (esquirecomics) and we both agreed that in light of the circumstances that have presented themselves in the past few days that I should post this info regarding the Journey #92 Trimmed book. These are the facts as I remember them to the best of my knowledge:

1) Qualitycomix emailed Redhook about the JIM #92 saying it was a trimming suspect and that it was on Doug's Schmell's site (PedigreeComics).

2) Although Redhook didn't respond to the email, it appears he did contact Doug to inform him of the suspect book on his site.

3) Qualitycomix then emailed Doug and said that the book was probably trimmed. He included the before scan so Doug would have something to compare it to.

4) Doug replied that he already knew about it (thru Red Hook) and that he would take care of it. Doug also mentioned that a previous buyer had fallen thru for the book, and that he had to keep it because he had already forwarded the money for the book to Brulato/Ewert.

5) Months later, the book appears on Heritage. This is when Qualitycomix decided it was necessary to post the book on the boards to alert everyone.

7) Doug indicated to Qualitycomix that he had forgotten about the book and that he wished he had remembered because then he could've gotten his money back from Brulato.

8) Doug also said that he didn't know for sure that the book was trimmed (Qualitycomix had sent him a "before" scan, but Doug said he didn't remember receiving it) so there was no reason to believe Qualitycomix, especially since the book had been thru CGC's hands twice. (Doug had resubbed it again trying for a 9.6 grade.)

Originally, I sent this info to BlackHeartedDwarf to post because of his above comment. He kindly paraphrased and helped word the timeline. In the end, I decided it best to post this myself.

Well, this certainly is a great start to him getting my trust back tonofbricks.gif

I think if someone takes the time to tell me I have a trimmed book or even a suspected trimmed book (Ewart or not), I'd investigate it thoroughly, not forget about it. Is his memory that bad?

I'm also not buying that it was anything but deliberate to move the book from his website to the more annonymous venue of Heritage. I know some have said the spread their selling around sites, but it really doesn't make any sense for him to do that with this book. He gets very aggressive prices on Pedigree and unless it was a GA book where somebody like Heritage tends to sell more of them, it doesn't add up to me.

This is very bad as it comes at a time when Doug's trustworthyness is at an all time low.

sorry.gif

Kudos to qualitycomix for posting this information. I also thought it needed to be posted and he stepped up so everyone could be informed and draw their own conclusion. thumbsup2.gif

If this was in litigation, fundamental discovery would have this information in short order.

And it will be shortly Jon.

And I daresay any owner of an Ewert book who knows or has sufficient reason to know they are in possession of an Ewert book that has been trimmed yet proceeds to try and sell the book without disclosure will have their records subpoenaed and will be publicly identified.

At the end of the day there may be other dealers/sellers who are stigmatized as a result of Ewert's actions. The cover-up always results in more casualties than the actual shooting.

hi.gif

A 9.6 and a nice new "clean" serial number? I think this resub is key to Doug's intentions. If it had been resubbed specifically to check for Ewert trimming and still got past with a blue label, then I would say Doug had done everything he needed to do, even if it was a little shady to try and slip it under the radar via Heritage.

If, however, he submitted it blind hoping it would slip by and get a laundered serial #, then that's a different story.

BTW, my memory is a little rusty, but wasn't one of the trimmed FFs consigned on Pedigree as well?

A 9.6 and a nice new "clean" serial number? I think this resub is key to Doug's intentions. If it had been resubbed specifically to check for Ewert trimming and still got past with a blue label, then I would say Doug had done everything he needed to do, even if it was a little shady to try and slip it under the radar via Heritage.

Bullsh1t...he did what he needed to do? It was an Ewert slab for god's sake. To conveinently "forget" the Ewert connection is cr@p No one in this hobby, especially anyone who frequents these boards, and Doug does, would forget an Ewert slab. This is a perfect example of someone trying to dump a tainted slab without disclosure. Which seems to be becoming the norm with most, my perception, of the major CGC dealers...

If someone can come up with a dealer at this point other the Blazing One, and maybe Ted and Doug, who seems on the up and up, I'm all ears...

Jim

I guess Brad has a different idea of straightforward and upright tan the rest of the world.

You know Shad....you are a big misanthropic [embarrassing lack of self control]. This is the first I know of this sequence of events. Why the personal attack?

This is the first time I heard about the book moving on from Doug. Needless to say, it's disappointing and knocks the legs out of my argument in the other thread.

Get over yourself.

Red