• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

bw7.jpg

That's actually a very colorful cover for an ACG -- with a nifty noirish mood, to boot.

I haven't abandoned the thread either. I've still got a few more scans from last weekend that I haven't posted. Here's one:

1107045-TwoGunW10.jpg

1107045-TwoGunW10.jpg.4b102c6d4a5242a374f4b22789600828.jpg

Odd perspective - the Cross-Draw Kid appears to be exchanging gunfire with someone on the floor.

confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe he's the cross-eyed draw Kid?

And the guy in the foreground doesn't match up with the image in the mirror. In the foreground the gun is to the left of the body, in the mirror it's in front of the body.

I noticed that - but depending on the angle of the mirror the perspective might work.

Odd perspective - the Cross-Draw Kid appears to be exchanging gunfire with someone on the floor.

confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe he's the cross-eyed draw Kid?

And the guy in the foreground doesn't match up with the image in the mirror. In the foreground the gun is to the left of the body, in the mirror it's in front of the body.

Hot on the trail with this one.......you're right, that dude in the mirror can't be the gun in the foreground......just another riffraff chewin' on lead!

wa5.jpg

....anybody gunnin' 'em down against these odds can't be goin' by the name Cross-Eyed Kid !!

I've been waitin' on that JJ # 1 ...... it's the first I've seen the book. There's so many nice covers in that run, I was expectin' more from numero uno...

Here's my only copy;

jj4.jpg

I don't believe Jesse was much of a card player....or known for robbin' stages.....I think he was a bank man....maybe a train or two.

A lot of these western covers have nothin' to do with anything, they don't depic the story within.

Reckon I gotta go tuh Western Fighters fur da real thang.....

wf3-3.jpg

......................True Stories Were The Gun Was Law !

I've been waitin' on that JJ # 1 ...... it's the first I've seen the book. There's so many nice covers in that run, I was expectin' more from numero uno...

That's cuz the artist is Gene Fawcette, who has an entirely different style than Everett Raymond Kinstler who did many of the other JJ covers. I especially like Gene's work for the early Wing's comics, but he has a tendency toward stiffness when drawing humans.

That's cuz the artist is Gene Fawcette, who has an entirely different style than Everett Raymond Kinstler who did many of the other JJ covers. I especially like Gene's work for the early Wing's comics, but he has a tendency toward stiffness when drawing humans.

Those Wings books are awesome !! There's a run on ebay as we speak.....I spent some time dream about ownin' a bunch......nice colors with plenty of action !!

I have a fondness for Kinstler...abstract...surreal....I don't know what the word is but it grabs ya.

This is a beater.....too much time in the sun.....no matter, it depics everything (or there abouts) that is found in JJ # 1.....nice contrast !

wbh7.jpg

jj1.jpg

I'm a big fan of Kinstler's as well. I took a look at Grand Comics Database and was surprised at how many JJ issues there were in the run -- and it included many fine Kinstler covers.

Speaking of fine artists...

1110185-KidColt66.jpg

1110185-KidColt66.jpg.7aff07ae314890a864ffab2a82cd75d7.jpg

1110185-KidColt66.jpg

That book's slipped thru my hands a couple times......I'm partial to the theme and then there's the clean representation of the period......much like your Two Gun Western...both are very sweet books !

1107045-TwoGunW10.jpg

.................. What can you tell me about Shelly ? ....................

tf1.jpg

Severin's 'da man when it comes to period accuracy. There's a cover that's kind of a sequel to that cover. Maybe I'll scan next month.

Shelly is the usual signature of Sheldon Moldoff of GA Hawkman, Green Lantern covers, and 50s Batman fame, among many other fine accomplishments in his career. That cover, does not look like his typical work, but then I haven't seen him do much western stuff.

Nice Kid Colt Adam - I guess he wasn't happy about the other card player having two Ace of spades in his hand. Severin is to Altlas westerns what Heath is to Atlas war and Everett is to Atlas horror.