• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

The Chicago Pulp show is probably going to be my next show though. All this to encourage TSTQ to try and attend a large show. The experience is wonderful.

Wasn't that at the Ramada, the same place Motor City's Chicago Comicfest was? Unfortunately that hotel was torn down (too bad, I liked the rambling old thing frown.gif). Comicfest has been cancelled indefinitely, as I know they haven't found an alternate venue.

Yes it was. I received a mailing last month about the show update - The Con is now next door at the Windham O'Hare - 6810 North Mannheim Rd. and the dates had to be changed to Friday May 5 to Sunday May 7. The main event will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Shadow!

Re -

ca5.jpg

I am not a rider so could someone tell me what is the function the leather strap on the main character's left wrist? (and I am not inviting salacious jokes here)

In response to your previous question concerning Western Fighters I wrote this...

They set up the story line with a brief intro of two or three sentences using lots of ".........." to string their thoughts together. They don't rush thru the frames; they have a tendency to draw out the story. After reading 'em your left with good visual imagery, which is supported by catchy phrases. There's death; bushwhacking', shoot-outs, back-shootin' and plain ol' gunnin' down but in the end the tale always stands on some moral fiber; starting out on a hope, movin' to a low and comin' around to the righteous ending......whether the story was about....bad guys against bad guys....or.....bad against good.

Tell me that doesn't apply to "The Coming Of The Eagle!"....all this and a mighty fine lay-out, nice art. Excellent post, thanks!

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.........

AdamS - the first three dealers I mentioned in my experience would be the first ones to check out in the hope of finding non-Dell Westerns - Bob then Gene then Al. Of course, you then have to "deal" with each dealer's own idiosynchrasies (sp?) but that's true for all of them.

I've purchased Atlas books from Harley, Motor City, and Bedrock in the past so my comment was referring to checking all of the dealers on your list. There are other dealers that I would check as well. With these obscure Atlas's I'm sure the net is a boon but in the old days you just had to go from one dealer's table to the next.

Actually I have an eBay search set-up for "Atlas" only and the material offered isn't covering much of the company's output. Of course, with the many "imprint" names used by Goodman, many unexperienced seller will not list the books as Atlas + sellers who simply list the titles will slip through this simple screen. Still, while better than pre-net, these books are not lining up the streets.

The need to go from dealer to dealer to find any early 50's material makes going to any con a physical challenge!

I didn't say it was easy! Con's are exhausting. After wearing a backpack and leaning over boxes all day and walking around on the concrete convention center floor and hardly getting any sleep, work is like a walk in the park.

The Chicago Pulp show is probably going to be my next show though. All this to encourage TSTQ to try and attend a large show. The experience is wonderful.

Okay....this got my attention.

It's a doer, da south side is my home turf = 211 Street south on Halsted.

I make regular pilgrimages into the wilds of the urban jungle. I can only live so long without Aurelio's Pizza, Chicago roast beef sandwiches [w/sweet peppers] and Cipriani Spaghetti. My next foray is in May.

When this Pulp show??

Tks for the stamp info.

Think I should take a red maker to this book.....it breaks my heart!

wbt.jpg

When this Pulp show??

May 5th to the 7th. There was not a single comic present in the room last year when I went. I'd better warn you. So unless you're also a pulp fan ...

Nice Baker up there.

One more Dell for today -

1096925-Champion5s.jpg

1096925-Champion5s.jpg.87a16fa9b32af3d38d85387a31cd792f.jpg

I am not a rider so could someone tell me what is the function the leather strap on the main character's left wrist? (and I am not inviting salacious jokes here)

It's a riding crop, one that's always on your wrist. No respectful gun-slinger would use a whip....he'd surely drop it reachin' for his hog's leg and likely ridin' the shank's mare shortly thereafter.

Maneely was good for the frills, Cardy had a flare for it also look at Bat Lash. Anyway, it's not like he invented the "dapper don", I mentioned Cat Ballou and of course there was Bat Masterson and Doc Holiday. In the movies they were more likely cast as card sharks, Maverick is another.

More Baker...

h8.jpg

Nothing wrong with Baker!

Here's a Gil Kane, pencil and inks.

1097256-Western56.jpg

1097256-Western56.jpg.f1a986c1adfd9e274f8fb56bc8527c53.jpg

1097256-Western56.jpg

Indian Law Man had a good run....obviously it's his dyin' day and last issue!

Poor Pow-Wow....injun's got him dead to rights. Ain't no way out.....hot lead and a third eye might 'a helped him in the past....he'll be kickin' up mud and pushin' up daisies 'fore long.

.........'nother Cole;

iw8.jpg

Your moniker is highly appropriate.......your posts makes me wonder about the size of your collection, rhetorical speaking of course. The curiosity comes from having so many western, regardless I'm enjoying your books.

I'm acquiring a growing appreciation for Cole....this one made my list;

iw7.jpg

.......not Cole but one from the stack;

bw4.jpg

Your moniker is highly appropriate.......your posts makes me wonder about the size of your collection, rhetorical speaking of course. The curiosity comes from having so many western, regardless I'm enjoying your books.

I have a pretty decent size collection of books but not too many westerns when considering the collection as a whole. I've only recently started tracking them down. I do enjoy them though and feel they are under rated. I remember a few years ago when hollywood churned out a couple of really good movies (Tombstone,Unforgiven,etc) western comics seemed to be making a slight come back but then interest eventually died out. There are alot of really good hidden gems that can still be found at reasonably affordable prices. I'm enjoying your books as well, Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Keept 'em coming. There have been too many good ones for me to comment given how many hours I'm working right now, but I will. I've got a few that I scanned this weekend but haven't posted yet.

Yep, I'm huntin' Blazing Western #5 [Timor]

.....I like those Timor books....I like 'em about as much as AJAX books, your Rider is a nice example. Who did the cover art for these AJAX westerns?

Goin' over your posts I've come up with 8 books which are now include in "My Favorite Searches"....these are books I haven't seen before. I hope to add more before this thread evaporates to ether.

rk21.jpg