• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

It looks more ...... dynamic than his others I guess. Agree or not?

Dynamic, I do agreed.

However, this one would beg to differ....out of how many....I don't know?

Well I am glad we're having this discussion. I am starting to figure out the tipping time point between the Maneely I don't like on Westerns to the Maneely I do like on Westerns. It happens around 1954 because I certainly don't like these as much - not mine (borrowed scans) - and I didn't take worse examples with multi-panels on the cover -

Scrooge,

I thought you might like the Six Gun Western as it's a terrific design of a very dramatic pose. Check it out next time your scanning the bins at a Con as it looks even better in person than in does in the scan. The interior art is by Orlando, Williamson, Pakula, and Ayers -- so it's a winner cover to cover.

Here's another L.B.Cole....I think I'm gonna step off western in the near furture and buy Cole, something other than horror. I really like his use of color....

LB Cole was the editor and he saved his color proofs, which he eventually sold, so it's possible he did the coloring. Come to think of it, I do recall in interviews that he described what he did with the coloring of his books at various times to make them stand out on the newstand.

As usual, very nice books !!

I have no Dells nor photo books nor painted nor four color but I like lookin' at 'em. As I said earlier, I can't trust myself; it starts with one and the next thing you know....

I've seen that WT before but I never seen that Fargo.

Here's a WBH that looks a lot like your Blazing Six Guns...

wbh26.jpg

sg1.jpg

Scrooge,

I thought you might like the Six Gun Western as it's a terrific design of a very dramatic pose. Check it out next time your scanning the bins at a Con as it looks even better in person than in does in the scan. The interior art is by Orlando, Williamson, Pakula, and Ayers -- so it's a winner cover to cover.

I've never been....are you inferring there's boxes of GA westerns sitting around the convention halls..!!???

If so, it hard for me to imagine.....I thought these books were kinda like hen's teeth or frog's fur? ....little do I know!

I've never been....are you inferring there's boxes of GA westerns sitting around the convention halls..!!???

If so, it hard for me to imagine.....I thought these books were kinda like hen's teeth or frog's fur? ....little do I know!

Well not all dealers will have an extensive selection but I know Gene Carpenter, Bob Beerbohm and Al Stoltz always have good Western stocks at shows. Who else am I missing who will carry / bring a good Western selection to shows? ... I don't recall Bedrock really does nor does Motor City nor Harley ...

Here's another 50 Ore Dell book -

1096229-Tontos.jpg

1096229-Tontos.jpg.d3261409ec86d7a314f7cdfd20f0b46b.jpg

Looks like the origin of "gang signs" has been uncovered....typical flash; find youself out numbered in enemy territory, the only thing left to do is throw down your sign !! As they say in the 'hood...I'm wit' dat.

I could look at those Dells all day....don't stop on my account.

Well not all dealers will have an extensive selection but I know...........

I returned to the hobby late in life. I can't say there's much in it for me by chasin' down a convention on the west or east coast. I'm in West Texas....around here they have JVC Entertainment COMIC BOOK SHOWs in Irving/Dallas, Houston, & San Antonio. They're one day shows, requiring a 600-800 mile round trip drive.

There's a lot to be said for this book.......I'll leave it for others.

ca5.jpg

Well not all dealers will have an extensive selection but I know Gene Carpenter, Bob Beerbohm and Al Stoltz always have good Western stocks at shows. Who else am I missing who will carry / bring a good Western selection to shows? ... I don't recall Bedrock really does nor does Motor City nor Harley ...

Here's another 50 Ore Dell book -

I don't know that anyone carried extensive boxes of non-Dell Westerns, but I have found books at just about all of the dealers mentioned. I haven't been doing the convention circuit much so maybe that's changed in the last 5 years. My belief is that the books exist in low grade but there may not be enough demand for dealers to stock them.

Looks like the origin of "gang signs" has been uncovered....typical flash; find youself out numbered in enemy territory, the only thing left to do is throw down your sign !! As they say in the 'hood...I'm wit' dat.

sign-funnypost.gif

ca5.jpg

What is there to be said...?

Its a sure and obvious Rawhide Kid prototype....and the fact the gem-studded cowboy is on a cover of a book entitled "Cowboy Action" will invoke every BrokeBack reference you can think of.

Too funny....

That sound like some sort of illicit movie title.

What is there to be said...?

Its a sure and obvious Rawhide Kid prototype....and the fact the gem-studded cowboy is on a cover of a book entitled "Cowboy Action" will invoke every BrokeBack reference you can think of.

Too funny....

Earlier in the thread there was a reference to Rawhide Kid in response to a Quick-Trigger Western. Having no RK books, the remark escaped me the inference is now noted. Other than being "dapper" as in the portrayal of the flashy gun-slinger [Cat Ballou (1965) - Lee Marvin as Kid Shelleen] it's a nice cover.

Here's the book in question;

qtw15.jpg

Ooohh I like this one (despite its obvious faults) -

nw1.jpg

The stamp refers to those weird Norwegian prices on the books as we saw on one of 1st's book earlier in the thread - Here's another one -

1096613-CiscoKid8s.jpg

AdamS - the first three dealers I mentioned in my experience would be the first ones to check out in the hope of finding non-Dell Westerns - Bob then Gene then Al. Of course, you then have to "deal" with each dealer's own idiosynchrasies (sp?) but that's true for all of them.

1096613-CiscoKid8s.jpg.8ab81bd632278f3bf743f7d1b14282e0.jpg

AdamS - the first three dealers I mentioned in my experience would be the first ones to check out in the hope of finding non-Dell Westerns - Bob then Gene then Al. Of course, you then have to "deal" with each dealer's own idiosynchrasies (sp?) but that's true for all of them.

I've purchased Atlas books from Harley, Motor City, and Bedrock in the past so my comment was referring to checking all of the dealers on your list. There are other dealers that I would check as well. With these obscure Atlas's I'm sure the net is a boon but in the old days you just had to go from one dealer's table to the next.

I've purchased Atlas books from Harley, Motor City, and Bedrock in the past so my comment was referring to checking all of the dealers on your list. There are other dealers that I would check as well. With these obscure Atlas's I'm sure the net is a boon but in the old days you just had to go from one dealer's table to the next.

Actually I have an eBay search set-up for "Atlas" only and the material offered isn't covering much of the company's output. Of course, with the many "imprint" names used by Goodman, many unexperienced seller will not list the books as Atlas + sellers who simply list the titles will slip through this simple screen. Still, while better than pre-net, these books are not lining up the streets.

The need to go from dealer to dealer to find any early 50's material makes going to any con a physical challenge! Hearing that TSTQ has never been to a major show made me reflect on the uniqueness of the con experience with access to all sorts of books and some knowledgeable dealers that I can't wait for the next one I can attend. I skipped Mid-Ohio this year. The Chicago Pulp show is probably going to be my next show though. All this to encourage TSTQ to try and attend a large show. The experience is wonderful.

The Chicago Pulp show is probably going to be my next show though. All this to encourage TSTQ to try and attend a large show. The experience is wonderful.

Wasn't that at the Ramada, the same place Motor City's Chicago Comicfest was? Unfortunately that hotel was torn down (too bad, I liked the rambling old thing frown.gif). Comicfest has been cancelled indefinitely, as I know they haven't found an alternate venue.