• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

.......not Cole but one from the stack;

bw4.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about westerns.

Any chance that an early Gene Colon cover? Sure looks like it.

I know nothing about Gene Colon...It would be nice to have a post of his work [western or not...no matter].....something by way of comparison....or a link where I can check out his work.....TKS

Don't think there's any way that's Colan from 54. I would guess Mort Drucker, moonlighting from DC, doing his best Alex Toth imitation. The hands are typical chubby expressive Drucker hands and the lines/inking of the faces are typical of Mort.

I love the cover and have never seen it before.

Entirely possible. When I commented, I didn't know they year of publication. I'm still having a hard time reconciling the foreground figures with the sheriff, who looks like classic Colan--everything from shape of the hat, to the position of the hands and legs, as well as the general layout. Looks like it could be right off one of Colan's 70's Marvel covers or out of Ragamuffins.

"....plumb outa business !!"

Wow! a 1957 Hillman comic. If you'd asked me, I would have said they went plumb outa business before then! You learn something new every day ... Good stuff everyone. AdamS, thank you for confirming that it's probably not by Colan. It took me to look at the scans I provided and the cover to conclude that.

Wow….the first slab of the thread !!!

With all the chatter ‘bout slabs I figured there’d be more. Based upon participation [low #’s] [lots of lookers]; I guess there’s no love….or very little for slab’d westerns. Count me in…..I ain’t got a slab one !

No matter…nice book and I’m glad the subject’s broached.

Scrooge spurred my interest with this…

....... to encourage TSTQ to try and attend a large show. The experience is wonderful.

Your comment….

One data point for how much westerns major dealers bring to shows: Today at Wondercon, Harley Yee had a separate western section and it was the equivalent of 2+ magazine boxes. So 200-250 issues.

…… lends itself to additional questions.

I would be ecstatic to find 200-250 westerns all in one place but help me put this into perspective.

What portion does this represent; 10 % of each dealers stock or 10% of the show’s total stock as a whole? [this 10% is an arbitrary figure on my part] Also, what percentage of dealers bring books from this genre? [how many dealer attend?]

Anyway, Scrooge is right….the experience would be wonderful if I had a box or two or three for the pickens !!

Tks

A lot said on this board goes over my head…..the particulars elude me; I’ve yet to put “real” time into collectin’ comics. Readin’ these threads I find people collectin’ books back in the 60’s, 70’s and…. Oh, I was readin’ ‘em back then but I tossed ‘em or passed ‘em on.

But I digress…

Wow! a 1957 Hillman comic. If you'd asked me, I would have said they went plumb outa business before then!

….you lost me on that ??

If you’re referrin’ to the cover art on that particular book I must agree….inferior within the scope of covers……heavy in the foreground, no dimension and blurred with colors…..a dyin’ book ???

Generally they seem to have nice themes…such as this one;

dew.jpg

When did Hillman go under or when were they bought out?

No matter, I don’t own bundles of ‘em.....nor ‘em I huntin’ ‘em. My collection is rather eclectic, sometimes I get caught up in a theme….Dead-Eye ain’t one of ‘em !

Here's a nice book.....I believe I posted it ealier but it got dropped somehow !!??

skw1.jpg

Awesome books everyone! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's one of my few Western books. Luckily it's a Mile High copy with a gorgeous Alex Toth cover cloud9.gif

aaw121.jpg

That is a beautiful book, though it was prettier still when I saw it in it's natural state more than a decade ago. A friend of mine talked with Toth (not an easy thing to do, he's a bit put out with the world) and Toth remembered that cover fondly. He's often overly critical of his work, so he must he felt that he had put a lot into it and succeeded.

Wow! a 1957 Hillman comic. If you'd asked me, I would have said they went plumb outa business before then!

….you lost me on that ??

If you’re referrin’ to the cover art on that particular book I must agree….inferior within the scope of covers……heavy in the foreground, no dimension and blurred with colors…..a dyin’ book ???

When did Hillman go under or when were they bought out?

What I was saying refers to your last line of questioning. Had you asked me when Hillman closed its doors and ceased publishing comics, I would have guessed probably 1955 rather than 1957. I was then expressing my surprise to see the 1957 cover date on that Dead-Eye Western (which I agree is not a title to write home about). As to exactly when they closed up shop, I am not sure. I would have to research that. I don't think it's a question of anyone buying them out though, they just stopped publishing I am sure.

Surprisingly I'd never seen that All-American Western cover blush.gif

Here's one of my few Western books. Luckily it's a Mile High copy with a gorgeous Alex Toth cover cloud9.gif

aaw121.jpg

That is a beautiful book, though it was prettier still when I saw it in it's natural state more than a decade ago. A friend of mine talked with Toth (not an easy thing to do, he's a bit put out with the world) and Toth remembered that cover fondly. He's often overly critical of his work, so he must he felt that he had put a lot into it and succeeded.

Very cool. Congrats!

Gotta love Toth. He brings mood and a noirish texture to even a western comic.

aaw121.jpg

Bonds - either you posted this before - or I've seen a scan somewhere else - either way I still think it's undergraded! - that bottom corner bump on an otherwise outstanding copy makes it a VF in my book. One of the better Toth covers of the run, and there are many great ones! A keeper for sure! hail.gif

wa5.jpg
Odd perspective - the Cross-Draw Kid appears to be exchanging gunfire with someone on the floor.

I agree with ya......

A lot of these western covers have nothin' to do with anything, they don't depic the story within. In the WA # 5 the covers tellin' a story of an ongoin' gun battle....Cross-Draw's leanin' back six-shooters spittin' flames....what went on before this frame is hard to tell.....the "waddies" in the mirror are dyin' or drawin' a bead....the dyin' gun in the foreground is one of the dudes in the mirror......Cross-Draw's right hand gun is dead-on....left hand gun is spittin lead down and out, like he's leanin' back gettin' outta range.

Not a bad cover in it's own right.

However, here's one that draws questions.....which I posted earlier.....

wt2.jpg
I do like Maneely but he's not always consistent.....like the last one....the jailer's bringin' the grub with a lynch mob trailin' him....I don't think so.....it doen't work unless you combine the thought that his depiction is of multiple scenes to be played out in the story line ???

Then there's this.....anybody lookin' at this cover would know there's a yarn to be told. No matter, I think it done a good job at gettin' ya to buy the book....gotta see how Pow-Wow gets outta this one!

1097256-Western56.jpg

Indian Law Man had a good run....obviously it's his dyin' day and last issue!

Poor Pow-Wow....injun's got him dead to rights. Ain't no way out.....hot lead and a third eye might 'a helped him in the past....he'll be kickin' up mud and pushin' up daisies 'fore long.

As for the AAW 121....I think it has it's own problem in that regard....ya got tracers spittin' flames thru the packin' crates.....'em six-shooters were .44s....big ol' guns.....that dude thrownin' lead next to the wall shudda been crawin' dust long ago.....but everyone knows Johnny Thunder like Pow-Wow are super-heroes of the wild west !!!

aaw121.jpg

Odd perspective - the Cross-Draw Kid appears to be exchanging gunfire with someone on the floor.

confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe he's the cross-eyed draw Kid?

And the guy in the foreground doesn't match up with the image in the mirror. In the foreground the gun is to the left of the body, in the mirror it's in front of the body.

Your influence is takin' a toll....got this from a guy hawkin' books on another thread;

bw7.jpg

My first one; fair to middlin' story line....nice western drawl, plenty of period slang....mildly entertainin' !

The flames in the title add a nice touch to the cover.

hi.gifHaven't abandoned this thread yet, just gotta make some time to dig out a few more books.