• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLINK - It's illegal to charge credit card surcharges!

101 posts in this topic

do we have to stand up or actually do any work to accomplisgh that? Cause I plan to be sitting here typing and reading posts for awhile.

whatever floats your boat. I'm actually such an introvert I find it hard for me to approach other people anyway. hi.gif

Here's an idea: for everyone person_without_enough_empathyhing and complaining why not get ACTIVE, call the law enforcement in NY, and take care of business. Old and useless subject coming up again; the resolution is simple. DO IT and stop acting like a puss. (directed no one in particular)

Wouldn't it be a federal matter?

When I was doing eBay as a hobby I did charge people the 3%. The second, and I mean the second we became a legal business in the State and in the eyes of the Federal government I started eating the 3%.

We give people a 1% discount on eBay purchases if they pay in cash, but we don't charge the 3%. First off, it is illegal and secondly I figure it is the cost of doing business.

Take for instance my site, every single person who pays with paypal I lose that 3%. If you pay with your credit card outside of paypal I lose around 2.5%.

I could increase all the prices 3% but it just isn't worth it. To me it is a slap it would be tantamount to a slap in the face if I charged anyone another 3% of their purchase.

As far as consignments, when we get them we ask the owner of the items if they are ready to lose the 3%. All say they are because they understand that is the cost of doing business. I also tell them that any book that is sold and paid for by cash that they won't lose that 3%.

Alas, ComicLink isn't my business and they certainly can do what they want to. Does it make me think twice about consigning to them, yes. Does it make me think twice about buying from them, yes.

you know, when you do the math, Comiclink wouldnt be losing hardly anything if they did it right. That is, book sells for 1000. Visa gets 30. Now Comiclink and seller divide the 970 the same way, 90/10. Comiclink only loses $3!!! (they get 97 instead of 100) The seller takes the bigger hit, ($27 per thousand) but, this way it would be LEGAL and Josh could just tell sellers "Thats the LAW, Sorry!"

Comiclink would be less competitive maybe, but Id think being legal ought to make up foir that...

Here's an idea: for everyone person_without_enough_empathyhing and complaining why not get ACTIVE, call the law enforcement in NY, and take care of business. Old and useless subject coming up again; the resolution is simple. DO IT and stop acting like a puss. (directed no one in particular)

I'm calling my CC company and reporting it. Are you? Perhaps me spreading the word is being active? BTW, this is directed to YOU. cool.gif

whatever. the point is ACTION.

whatever. the point is ACTION.

Well, here's some good news. I contacted my sister who works for Discover Financial Services. She will be forwarding this information on to her process server Monday morning. She told me it's clearly in their service agreement that they can't have ANY surcharges for CC purchases; it violates their service agreement. She told me she's seen people charge as little as a .60 cent surcharge and lose their ability to accept CC payments.

Next, I am contacting my VISA card AND my Mastercard companies.

How's that for action?

I know this topic has been brought up before, but:

http://www.goldcomics.com/ubbthreads/sho...;vc=1#Post20302

It's not a discount for paying in cash, rather it's a 3% "buyer's charge" for using a credit card.

And it's illegal in NY state.

Both Visa and Mastercard told me it's illegal in any state. Both told me they will be contacting Comiclink as this is a clear violation of their merchant terms.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

I figure anybody who has to use a Credit Card to purchase a Comic Book has no business investing in Comic Books in the first place

Anyone who puts significant "investments" in comics in the first place has no business investing..

I figure anybody who has to use a Credit Card to purchase a Comic Book has no business investing in Comic Books in the first place

Well, atleast they're using money that's been ok'd to "borrow", unlike some apparently. 893whatthe.gif

But, you are right. We should all keep our priorities in order and shouldn't let a hobby send us spiraling into debt.

Well, atleast they're using money that's been ok'd to "borrow", unlike some apparently. 893whatthe.gif

But, you are right. We should all keep our priorities in order and shouldn't let a hobby send us spiraling into debt.

Not all of us go in debt with credit cards. Sometimes it's wise to protect ourselves buying from people we don't know online, right? Isn't it wise in that sense?

Not all of us go in debt with credit cards. Sometimes it's wise to protect ourselves buying from people we don't know online, right? Isn't it wise in that sense?

Yes, in that sense, I see what you're talking about. I was more thinking along the lines of getting steeped in debt with them.

I put everything on my credit card and pay it off every month. Its a good place to keep track of expenses...all in one place.

I also get 1.25% back on credit card purchases. Its not a lot, but it adds up. Put 40k on your CC, and around the end of January following a year of purchases, $500 is credited to your CC.

Now, $500 may not be a lot to you, Mr Wall Street Trader, but it is to me, Mr Web Application Developer. Write me a check for $500 every January 28th and I'll see about getting a debit card. PM me, I'll get you my address.

I put everything on my credit card and pay it off every month. Its a good place to keep track of expenses...all in one place.

I also get 1.25% back on credit card purchases. Its not a lot, but it adds up. Put 40k on your CC, and around the end of January following a year of purchases, $500 is credited to your CC.

Now, $500 may not be a lot to you, Mr Wall Street Trader, but it is to me, Mr Web Application Developer. Write me a check for $500 every January 28th and I'll see about getting a debit card. PM me, I'll get you my address.

I'm confused. If $500 is a lot of money for you, how on earth are you able to spend $40k a year (and pay it back) on CCs? Many people might not even make that much per year.

40k was used as an example cause the math was very easy...4 being easily divisible by 4. cool.gif But if you add up all your expenses, rent, car, fiancee's engagement ring, comics comics comics and more comics, dinners out, gas, toll roads, trips, strippers, hockey season tickets... well, it adds up. =)

And I hope $500 is always a good deal of money no matter how much I make.