• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

Do these belong in this thread?

Railroadcomiccovers.jpg

I guess so, since I don't know how we'd fit a railroad train onto the Short Bus :baiting:

Seriously, nice copies. Are these really common? Even I have them in decent shape, some duplicates, and they didn't cost much at all.

Jack

They absolutely do belong in this thread! (thumbs u

They are fairly common. I look for promotional comics at every show I attend and I usually see them at least at one or two dealer's booths each time.

Still cool though. :cloud9:

This 1954 promotion book was drawn by Charles Biro (creator of Airboy & Daredevil) for the United States Treasury through the National Cartoonists Society as a public service. This mini comic shares ideas on how to conserve spending and lend support to the troops fighting Communism overseas in times of war. 16 pages, full color, newsprint, 6.5-in. x 3.5-in.

Foxhole.jpg

This is a rare one page, double sided, promotional advertisement for the Single Series #15 comic book "How It Began" from 1939 which would be sent to distributors or vendors as a preview to entice purchases. These copies were not meant to be saved so few still exist.

Howitbegan.jpg

One of the few Malcolm Ater comics created for newsstand distribution. The print run was 100,000, but after 15,000 copies sold in 10 days the distributor closed shop. Remaining copies were sold to U S Legislators for distribution to visiting constituents. This 1957 copy is from Ater's personal collection.

Seeingwashington.jpg

Alaska Bush Pilot

A 1 shot published By Jan Enterprises out of Portland Oregon in 1959

Promoting younguns to join the Bush Pilot club...YAY!!!

From What I have read 100 of these were published and never Distributed due to a flood which destroyed 72 issues leaving 28. This was printed on newsprint including the cover.

Hopefully this post will revive this thread.I love seeing all these Obscure rare peices of history!!

IMG00008.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

I just won this off of the C-Link auction and it was a promotional giveaway. The C-Link description was as follows:

"This interesting 1933 Buck Rogers book by creator Phil Nowlan and original strip artist Calkins was the very first radio premium for the character and his very first appearance in the "comic book" format. Rogers was originally a character in two Nowlan stories published in 1928 and 1929 in the SF pulp Amazing Stories. The character was developed into a strip in 1929 and a radio program in 1932. Premiums like this book were a major advertising strategy in the early days of electronic media. This issue is commonly referred to as Buck Rogers' 1st "comic book", but the designation is a bit of a misnomer. In actually, the interior of this item is text and color pictures (much like a Big Little Book), so it does not have the format of “true” comic book. It was released at the same time, however, as many of the earliest promotional comics and was certainly targeted at the same young consumers."

buckrogers.jpg

I just won this off of the C-Link auction and it was a promotional giveaway. The C-Link description was as follows:

buckrogers.jpg

Very cool item, Sardo! :applause:

Seen a bunch of these of late (though most not as nice as yours!) for some reason, though be careful of the repint (original has the Kellogg's ad on the back cover).