• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

Excellent story! I bought my copy about a year ago on ebay for about $15. Haven't seen one since, maybe they'll pop up again at a later date. Maybe I'll crack the slab and read it again.

Like most Harvey comics, they are out there but they usually get buried in collections like mine. grin.gif

Great story - but I don't believe for a minute that anyone was blowing out copies of an obscure giveaway at $100 a pop in 1979. You could buy some pretty nice Timely and DC Golden Age for $100 back then. I'm not even sure that Teen-Age Dope Slaves was worth $150, even in high grade, back then.

I'm sure the basics of the story are true, but the dollar amounts involved have been misremembered over time.

Great story - but I don't believe for a minute that anyone was blowing out copies of an obscure giveaway at $100 a pop in 1979. You could buy some pretty nice Timely and DC Golden Age for $100 back then. I'm not even sure that Teen-Age Dope Slaves was worth $150, even in high grade, back then.

I'm sure the basics of the story are true, but the dollar amounts involved have been misremembered over time.

I was buying in 1981 and the amounts we would pay for some of these obscure titles would exceed the amounts for some mainstream characters. Look at an early price guide of the top books and you will see some issues that would never make the list by today's standards. Of course, in hindsight, I may have overpaid for some of my material but I am happy with it.

I was buying in 1981 and the amounts we would pay for some of these obscure titles would exceed the amounts for some mainstream characters. Look at an early price guide of the top books and you will see some issues that would never make the list by today's standards. Of course, in hindsight, I may have overpaid for some of my material but I am happy with it.

There might have been a handful of collectors in 1979 willing to pay $100 cash or $200 trade for what they were snookered into thinking was an ultra rare SOTI book, but 200 copies at that price - no way. I know what you mean about esoterica having relatively high value though, I recall in the 70s when Avon sci-fi one-shots were suddenly high dollar books.

A little off topic, but that Trapped story was worth it just to hear Jay M's name mentioned again. Sparkle City was huge. Joe V, a true pleasure to do business with. And who could forget Fishler slinging boxes behind the tables?

This isn't a golden age promotional, but it isn't in Overstreet, so thought I'd share it here. Just picked it up tonight at a local auction. Looks like it would have been in nice shape if not for massive water damage/wrinkling.

oster.jpg

Nice haul, Justin - looks like your promo collection is right on track!

(If anyone has doubles/know of available copies on these Assn. RR books - my Dad loves trains - please let me know)

STEVE

Thanks. Hey I like the new avatar. One of these days I'll come up with one. Although, I kinda like the Easter Island guy. confused-smiley-013.gif

Does your dad want 9 CGC copies? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif