• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

Hi. I have only recently re-introduced myself to comic book collecting after 25 years, and purchased this from Metropolis.

So your the one that bought that (worship) Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the boards. Feel free to post any more Spirit sections you have, especially extremely rare ones like that :grin:

Angelo

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I have always loved GA superheroes, and I remember reading "The Great American Comic Book Heroes" edited and with a great introduction by Jules Feiffer (which I lost but recently bought on ebay.) Of course, while in Junior High School I could never find any of those GA comics that Feiffer reprinted, included 1st appearances of Superman, Green Lantern, Plastic Man and others, nor could I afford them. Since I started buying again this past year, I have purchased a copy of Police Comics #1 which I love! In Feiffer's book, he reprints the following Spirit Section, which I recently purchased also from Metropolis.

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I have always loved GA superheroes, and I remember reading "The Great American Comic Book Heroes" edited and with a great introduction by Jules Feiffer (which I lost but recently bought on ebay.) Of course, while in Junior High School I could never find any of those GA comics that Feiffer reprinted, included 1st appearances of Superman, Green Lantern, Plastic Man and others, nor could I afford them. Since I started buying again this past year, I have purchased a copy of Police Comics #1 which I love! In Feiffer's book, he reprints the following Spirit Section, which I recently purchased also from Metropolis.

46062-spirit9mar47.jpg.7f1d23f04a806fec3010122360696d87.jpg

Sorry- I attached the wrong file. I liked that one as I am now collecting "Surgeon Comics" (I recently discovered the EC M.D. comics, which are fantastic- I am looking for Gaines File copies of those.) The following was reprinted in Feiffer's book. I love the shadows of Eisner.

46063-spirit20july41.jpg.a360b9fb05d3bf0931207df0b8989bc1.jpg

This last one I purchased from Heritage- one of their D copies. If you were wondering who was jacking up the prices on those auctions about 6 months ago, it was me. I like the front page- also the shadows and angles of Eisner.

By the way, Mark, I really enjoy your site and your collections, especially the cold war collection. I hope you don't mind, but I have used your cold war collection as a template, and have purchased many of those same books over the past 6 months, including How Stalin Hopes..., The H-bomb and You, Grenada, some comics with atom bomb covers, and others including Joe Worker and the Story of Labor, MLK, and Trapped. I am interested in how comics reflect the times in which they were printed. The only new comics I read are the new Spirits, and just finished #10 today. I don't enjoy them too much, but this issue talked a bit about the current fractured political climate in the US and gave a not-so-subtle description of the Fox News Channel. I wonder how other comics handle the war and international relations today, compared to the WW II Marvels, with the Torch fighting Hitler on the cover, or Action Comics and Whiz comics with American Superheroes fighting Nazis and Japanese caricatures, or the comics of the 1950's with an obvious fear of communism and atomic bombs. Someone has probably brought this up in these forums- I will have to look around.

46067-Spirit22sep40.jpg.27aecbddf36587b1c896507e1adf2aef.jpg

46068-joeworker.jpg.c30b4b55a136c47868c590e9b8821a87.jpg

I really like this series -- not surprising given my penchant for science in comic books.

Actually I consider it two series: Adventure Series (the earliest ones) and Adventures in Science Series .

There are literally dozens of variants because they printed some of the titles year after year with updates.

As far as I can tell, the first one is: Adventure Series GEC-174, 1946, General Electric, Adventures in Electricity Number One, "How Magic is Born…and How it Travels"; Roussos (signed).

The last one I can find is Adventures in Science Series APG-17-5C, 1964, General Electric; Inside the Atom; Pictorial Media, Inc.

Does anyone know an earlier or later one?

Jack

Here's a nice group of giveaways that I just got in a few days ago...from 1950...

electricity1.jpg

electricity2.jpg

electricity3.jpg

electricity4.jpg

electricity5.jpg

electricity6.jpg

electricity7.jpg

I bet this one is uncommon. Has anyone else seen it?

Yarns of the Yellowstone 1972, Bill Chapman, Juniper Studio, Gardiner, MT. It looks like about VG 4.0. Nicely produced with glossy cover, unlike some promo books. There's no indication that it was distributed by the National Park Service. I wonder whether it was sold inside Yellowstone, or just at tourist shops near the entrance. Not in Overstreet (at least not in the outdated one that's nearby).

50055-YarnYellowstone.jpg

Jack

I really like this series -- not surprising given my penchant for science in comic books.

Actually I consider it two series: Adventure Series (the earliest ones) and Adventures in Science Series .

There are literally dozens of variants because they printed some of the titles year after year with updates.

I just posted some information (again, but some is new) about this series in the Short Bus thread, trying to scare up some interest. Here are the scans that you can also find there.

Jack

51753-AdvSer174.jpg

51754-AdvSer17-2.jpg

51751-AdvSci17-8A.jpg

Here's a nice group of giveaways [Adventures in Electriciy] that I just got in a few days ago...from 1950...

I missed these the first time around, AA - wonderful books :applause:

I love my promo Railroad set - I think Electricity is a set I definitely could go for.

Yarns of the Yellowstone 1972, Bill Chapman, Juniper Studio, Gardiner, MT. It looks like about VG 4.0. Nicely produced with glossy cover, unlike some promo books. There's no indication that it was distributed by the National Park Service. I wonder whether it was sold inside Yellowstone, or just at tourist shops near the entrance. Not in Overstreet (at least not in the outdated one that's nearby).

Jack

I've seen one copy on Ebay. IIRC it went for a pretty penny.

Jack

I've seen one copy on Ebay.

That's where this one came from.

IIRC it went for a pretty penny.

I'M RICH -- RICH!! 51783-rrgs_1_ca.jpg (which is not to say 51784-677.jpg )

Jack

Edited by selegue

Here's a nice group of giveaways [Adventures in Electriciy] that I just got in a few days ago...from 1950...

I missed these the first time around, AA - wonderful books :applause:

I love my promo Railroad set - I think Electricity is a set I definitely could go for.

Good luck trying to figure out when you've completed the set!

Could someone with the latest Overstreet check whether they're listed yet? Not in my most recent copy. Thanks.

Jack